Any Intech Discover or Explore owners here? Also a group hunt meat handling plea for info!

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
TLDR: Cost and logic be damned: talk TrueAt1stLight into buying a $28k cargo trailer!!!

I've been lusting after a Discover (or possibly an Explore) for use as a Western elk/deer/antelope basecamp. I haven't seen either in-person and think the Explore would be too snug for actually using as a camper as I'm 6'4" and would look like Lurch after a weekend crouching to get in and out. The Discover seems to be the perfect size, except for how tall, long and wide it is... Ok, maybe not the perfect size but I don't plan to drag it up rocky mountain passes and it seems idea for prairie and, gas and logging roads.

The real allure of these models is as follows:

1. They’re 100% aluminum frame and shell with a dedicated off-road suspension and tires

2. They’re set up as a cargo hauler/ “toy hauler” first and foremost which would be ideal for coolers, maybe a small deep freezer for a multi-guy hunt I’m planning (more on that below), and all the gear I’d need to support a 4-6 person base camp. Also extra fuel and water.

3. With the dual tip-out beds and heater, they could actually be lodging if a cabin tent isn’t being used.

4. They’re much more minimal and with less junk parts to go wrong/break/ fall apart like the gazillion other generic box travel trailers on the market.

Drawbacks:

1. No bathroom inside and that may be a dealbreaker for the wife and young daughter, but something could be rigged up simply inside.

2. The Discover is quite large and would likely reduce the fuel economy of my tow vehicle by quite a lot, and may limit access to where I could drive to set up base camp.

3. The Explore is only 5’6” ceiling height and the wife and me would be hunched over inside.

4. The beds are SNUG for two adults.

5. The cost of both of these is WAY high compared to a like-sized cargo trailer or dedicated travel trailer.

6. Cost associated with insuring and storing. May be mitigated by renting out during spring and summer via Outdoorsy or other rental apps.

***WHY A TRAILER: shouldn’t you just pack less for goodness sake, you f’ing newbie?!?***

I’m the ringleader of a group-mule deer and antelope hunt I’m planning this year with friends from my town, as well as TX and MS who will be flying in to meet me. I’m having a hell of a time figuring out how to transport them, our guns, lodging and gear, AND how the heck I can pack enough coolers/ice/etc to keep at least 4-6 animals’ quarters chilled and safe for the week we’re all out hunting. For you that coordinated a party of hunters like this, some flying in and one driving out with me: what was your solution? I own a new gen/model GMC Yukon and have tons of room including a large hitch rack with waterproof cargo bag, but I just can’t figure out what to do with the meat to keep it chilled and from spoiling. Sure I could just buy or rent a cargo trailer, but you only live once!

Photos for reference:

Explore:
6308CBCD-4DBB-4902-891C-04BDF760BA35.jpeg
CAC993AB-2921-4F52-9A17-0B6DC734F995.jpeg

Discover:
54F57599-D989-49C0-87F6-812890AE81B5.jpeg

088B6C6B-80F8-4D62-BDC1-40864F36E4D9.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike7

WKR
Not meaning to keep you from buying a cool trailer, but here are a couple of other options that seem to work for the scenario you mention:

1) Take a used working or not working chest freezer (e.g. off Craigslist). Fill the bottom with frozen jugs of water. Add meat on top of that as you get it. Add dry ice (I think we did about $20 worth for a small chest freezer) every 2-3 days. This kept everything frozen or near frozen below the ice. We also covered everything with a cheap foam camping pad (to cut down on the dead air space) placed on top of the dry ice.

2) Get a fold-up, height adjustable bedside commode and sturdy shower/toilet privacy tent for an outside bathroom. You can set it over a hole in the ground in the warmer weather, and when the ground is frozen, you can leave the removable bucket in place use a disposable WAG bag...
Or you can set it over a groover bucket with a gamma lid like the wilderness river people are required to do, but it is pretty gross to clean the bucket out without the special scat machines that they have along wilderness rivers.

I will provide as close as a perfect answer as you might get.

I own both a 6x8ft Jumping Jack trailer that I've used for out of state hunting as well as camping with the wife.

This year I bought a 25ft ATC travel trailer (for recreation) and it is all aluminum. Price paid $62,000. The Intech guys are next door to ATC in Indiana and I think the founding Intech engineers are former ATC guys. To me, Intech and ATC appear equivalent in quality and ATC is top of the line quality.

Short Response: Get the Intech! The Intech is superior in every way to a Jumping Jack as a hunting trailer and I could only imagine how cool it would be to own one. While it's cool to load the top of the Jumping Jack with ice chests, ATV, etc, I still have to unload/load it and strap things down and that's the biggest pain. A normal travel trailer that is smaller, such as Jayco 19ft Baja, is still too big and bulky.

Long Response: All aluminum trailer is one of the best built trailers you can buy (ATC specifically). I'm sure Intech is the same. It does cost more, and I did see the Intech go up about $3k from 6 months ago. My wife loves the ATC too, as it's much more impressive in person than in pictures. We have done several out of state trips in the ATC for camping. I would not recommend an ATC for adventure hunting, even with a 20ft, because an Intech or Jumping Jack is night and day more nimble than a regular 19ft+ travel trailer. Smallest ATC is 20ft and they are over $60k now with a huge increase in prices last 6 months.

I am 6ft 3" and the Jumping Jack has been great, so it appears the Intech is just as spacious for sleeping in the fold out. A toilet was the biggest need from my wife, hence the upgrade from Jumping Jack to ATC. You might be able to solve that problem with something portable. One idea is to get a portable waste tank from Camco, such as a 15 gallon: https://www.campingworld.com/camco-rhino-portable-waste-holding-tanks-112493.html

I use one for emptying my trailer's black tank since my sewer drain is across the backyard. I wonder if people rig up a toilet onto those?

OP
T

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks very much @jonnycoder ! Exactly the intel I’m looking for.

@Mike7 That’s a great idea on bringing a cheap chest freezer. I may just rent a trailer this year and bring one with a small generator. That way my buddies flying in will leave with frozen boned-out meat vs trying to figure out how to get it it ready for their flights home as well as cutting down on all the coolers.

There's a intech dealer 30 min drive from my place and they usually have a few In stock they are just as nice in person as the website makes them look...and they are built like a tank for sure....all the sales guys said they are overbuilt...when I was still using a wrangler unlimited as a tow vehicle that was the option the wife and I were going with.