Any issues with kifaru pack as carry on for airplane flights?

aron

WKR
I will be traveling to Alaska in a couple weeks and wanting to use my kifaru pack as my carry on. Anybody ever have issues with the size being too large for carry on?

GotDraw?

WKR
I was once called out for my EXO 3500 by a nit picky gate agent and almost forced to check it.
So, we "politely" went at it a bit.

To make her happy, I removed the hip belt and wore it... a real fashion statement. Then I carried the Lid portion as my Personal item.

I lashed the shoulder straps tight to the main bag and then it fit in the check bag measuring cage with zero problem. Thus satisfied, the gate agent let me bring it aboard.

Lesson learned- make your backpack look as small as possible. Take the floppy, protruding hip belt off, or make it look smaller by turning it backwards and fastening tightly around the bag.

JL

Last edited:

KMBH

FNG
Two months ago i used my Paradox Evo as carry on for a 3 week trip to Asia. Made it through SFO, Seoul, Hong Kong, and Singapore. I am amazed by what I see people use for carry on domestically. You should be fine.

weaver

WKR
I have not flown a lot but they seem to give oversize backpacks a pass. My buddy has had to check his duffel a couple times at the gate now when they didn't give my bigger Kifaru pack a second glance.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

i took my zing on alaska airlines a couple weeks ago,i did take off the belt and it worked just fine.

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
I've carried a 24" with campbag cinched down without issue, you never know who you're gonna run into at the airport though. I've locked horns with a few employees that I wouldn't have made it through with.

idig4au

WKR
I've flown with my 26" frame with EMRII bag several times as carry on with just my bare essentials and optics so it was compressed down tight. This included a trip to Alaska. No problem getting on the planes as I tried to be invisible as possible. But you have to put it sideways in the overhead and that can be problem if you board late. I was flying business/first class so it wasn't a problem as I boarded in the first group, but I did get some sneers from fellow passengers who boarded after me. I've since changed my flying strategy and just check my pack loaded up in a Kifaru duffel bag and use a Late Season with 22 inch stays stuffed full as my carry on and have had no issues whatsoever.

c5mrr270

WKR
I got stopped once with my dt3. Unfortunately it was on a 26" frame so I couldn't make it fit in the sizing box so they made me check it.

charvey9

WKR
I've taken my Stone Glacier on plane before and did not have a problem. If it comes down to it...remove the stays and I'll be you could get it to squish into their size requirements.

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
Just carried mine to Afghanistan through Dubai, with Apollo, and lid. no troubles.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Flew from Detroit to Kodiak on Delta and Alaska a few weeks ago with my 26" Bikini frame and Mountain Rambler bag as carry on. No issues.

ChrisS

WKR
I carried on my exo and, like posted above, just make it small. I pulled the belt off and tightened all the straps and tucked them away.

It also helps if you have status and can board early. On smaller jets, most overhead room is quickly taken up. People carry on a ton of a shit these days and most gate agents just let it slide.

Worst case scenario is that they gate check it and you get it back when deplaning.

TetonRecon

Lil-Rokslider
I carried on my exo and, like posted above, just make it small. I pulled the belt off and tightened all the straps and tucked them away.

It also helps if you have status and can board early. On smaller jets, most overhead room is quickly taken up. People carry on a ton of a shit these days and most gate agents just let it slide.

Worst case scenario is that they gate check it and you get it back when deplaning.

When they gate check it, do they charge you for another checked bag?

Brendan

WKR
When they gate check it, do they charge you for another checked bag?

Not every place will gate check, some will only check through to final destination. And they can charge you if they want to if its oversize for a carry-on, depending on your status, fare class, etc.

All of the Kifaru frame packs are bigger than most Carry On luggage guidelines, so if you run into the wrong person you could be forced to check it, and pay for it... But that'd be pretty bad luck.

Ok GW

FNG
Make sure and clean the blood off...might make for an interesting interview