Any knife suggestions

TheGDog

WKR
So are replaceable blade combos out for you?

I've really been impressed with the regular blade on this :

And of course the scalpels are wicked.

EDIT: Or do you require a knife more with the intention of needing to Bushcraft or something?

mcseal2

WKR
Close to your price range I don’t think you will beat that steep country benchmade that keeps getting mentioned. I personally like the Dozier Pro Guide best, but it’s higher priced.

ESEE 4 is a heck of a knife for the $$. Go bigger to the 6 or laser strike if you like But avoid the 5. Too thick and heavy for hunting IMO.

i also think a havalon or a scalpel blade knife is well worth the weight for gutting and skinning.

Beendare

WKR
Thinking around $75 and wanting super lightweight
Its all about the quality of the steel and its edge holding ability for a hunting knife.

If you search, you will find charts on the different steels and their ability to hold an edge.

Also be aware that typically the better it holds an edge makes it harder to sharpen- not a factor with the right jig like an Edge Pro.

I like S30V, but I love S90V, Elmax and Maximet better....they hold an edge like crazy. Typical pricing for S30v is around the $100 mark....add another $50 to $100 for the others listed.

___

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Benchmade.

steep country, hidden canyon Hunter, saddle mountain skinner....all worth a look.

A lot of suggestions about the Benchmade Steep Country, and that is a steal for 85 bucks. Ive skinned out 2 whitetail this season so far with the Steep Country and just retouched it - that thing is a workhorse. Last year I did 4 whitetail and 2 hogs with it and stropped it a few times between.

The sheath is junk though. I have a overbuilt kydex sheath for it right now that is just too bulky. Im looking for a minimalist kydex for it now. If anyone know where to get something very basic in kydex, let me know. No belt loops, clips, etc. just a kydex taco to take up as little space as possible in a kill kit.

How about the knives butchers use? If you're not interested in flashy then victorinox boning knives are cats ass. I have a dexsteel knife and I skinned a whole moose with it, no sharpening until I was finished. Fibrox handles if you are looking for lightweight

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

How about the knives butchers use? If you're not interested in flashy then victorinox boning knives are cats ass. I have a dexsteel knife and I skinned a whole moose with it, no sharpening until I was finished. Fibrox handles if you are looking for lightweight

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

This is golden. I also have a Victorinox boning knife, 5" offset fibrox handle. Incredible knife. It will do everything from skinning to boning.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
Knives are personal, but I do love canadian belt knives, which are made in various forms by quite a few makers. The original Grohmanns are cool but LT Wright's small and large northern hunters are hard to beat. LT Wright skelleton key and stealth are also great lightweight options, handy size and made in D2.

2-Stix

WKR
I run a pocket of 2-3 trappers, Case, Buck... High carbon, some stainless. 50-75 bucks and double blades. A bit of an old school approach, but that's me.

At camp its my Grandpas old Buck 110 folder and a Buck Vanguard fixed.

Last edited:

hoskier

FNG
I bought one of these recently:

Outdoor Edge 3.5" RazorLite EDC - Replaceable Blade Folding Knife with Pocket Clip​

My friend really likes the Havalon.

I like them both as you can just throw away the old blades and replace them instead of sharpening them. I also have an old Kershaw Alaskan Blade Trader that I still love along with my Dad's old Buck 119. But, it really depends on what you are hunting.

NDGuy

WKR
Ive been looking to improve upon my knife game, I was wondering if you guys can recommend a high quality hunting set for a reasonable price?
I wasn't in the market but snagged an orange one of these. Too good to pass up.
Jump all over the Benchmade Steep Country for $85 and don't think twice about it. I picked up two several months ago and can't believe they're still available for that cheap.
Guys mentioned it but I just grabbed the Benchmade Steep Country

If you are near a store, I got it off Scheels online website for 109.99 and had a $25 gift card included for free. After getting the knife, I went to the store and had them pricematch that kniveshq.com website so I got it for $84.99 plus the $25 gift card haha

Seemed like a no brainer, just lacking a little on the morality scale. I spend enough there I won't lose too much sleep lol

Mosby

WKR
The most effective knife I have tried for skinning and quartering an elk(I have tried several) is a Cutco serrated knife. $85 on sale. Not the best made or best looking. Isn't going to impress anyone but when you have to work on an elk, they are awesome. They also sharpen for free.

I can use just about anything for deer. I a have Cold Steel Master Hunter that has probably gotten the most work. I seem to kill deer when I carry that knife. I have a few Cold Steel knives and I like them. Easy to sharpen and reasonably priced.