Any Last Minute Advice - First Time extended stay in backcountry

crumy

WKR
I have spent 2-3 nights with short hikes living off my back to practice but Friday I am going to do it for "real". Using Megatarp with a bugaboo Bivy II . Actually planning on staying 10 days. I know that is a really long time, but I get one shot at this due to my job so want to make it count. Hoping to just use 3 of those. :)

I just want to make sure I am not forgetting anything This site has been a great resource for information and getting to go out with guys on here that know what they are doing has helped me learn as well. So I guess I am asking you to do a hybrid gear check and sanity check with me. I have been doing some 4 mile hikes in mountains with 65-70 lbs but at around 7500-8000. We are going to be at 9,800-10,300 So I will be slow but I think I can do it. pack weight sans bow is 56 lbs

Any insights or critiques you can give are appreciated.

Shelter
  • Megatarp w/annex
  • Bugaboo Bivy II
  • synthetic 15 degree bag (not taking zero down due to all the rain)
  • q-core pad
  • trek poles

Food
  • Packed it in bags
  • packed some energy supplements (GU)
  • Olive Oil and protein powder
  • Mountain houses and oatmeal and breakfast bars
  • weight about 18-24 oz each day
  • aqua mira
  • jetboil

Clothes
  • wearing in camp clothes
  • packing
    • 1 hunting pant
    • 1 hunting shirt
    • 1 merino shirt
    • 1 underwear
    • 1 sock
    • rain pant and rain space jacket
    • kryptek fleece
    • warm jacket

Other

• First aid and Kill Kit
  • head lamp and backup small flashlight
  • gps
  • extra batteries for lamp and gps
  • binos
  • couple platypus to put water in
  • gloves and beanie

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you hauling a complete change of clothes? I would wear your hunting clothes in and just carry warm layers (like long underwear and fleece)...only clothing items I carry extras of are one pair of socks and one pair of underwear.

Are you bringing hot/cold drinks? Hot coffee/tea/cocoa/cider can help you warm up if you get chilled. On longer trips I like some crystal light or Gatorade packets so I have something to drink if I get sick of plain water...

Just the things that stood out to me at first glance. Good luck on your hunt and look forward to hearing all about it!

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
I do have the packets you put in water because yea after a while just water gets me too. Have coffee packs and a some of chicken bouillon cubes too. I thought about wearing my clothes in but concerned about scent. But I guess after 2 days in the filed. scent concerns out the window.

I've only spent 4-5 nights in the back country, never done the long extended stays. As Sreekers is asking make sure you both know what you're getting into. Don't be afraid to "burn" an afternoon or morning to recoup and relax and recharge batteries half way through. Realize going in that you will have some big mental hurdles and you will hit some very low lows. Be prepared to grind it out and have a "never quit never give up" attitude. Enjoy the little things up there.

As Becca said I'd think about leaving the full change of clothes and only bringing extra socks/underwear. Good luck man!

Mike

DWarcher

WKR
How about extra fuel?

If you've done 3 days before then you should be able to handle the ten as long as you are supplied correctly. As Mike said, the biggest hurdles will be the mental ones, especially if you aren't seeing the animals you are expecting to see. Good luck...sounds like you're going to have a great time!

-Dave

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
They guy I am with has done 5 days but not 10. I will go adjust my pack when I get home and plan on wearing in my clothes. Will definitely save some weight. I will definitely let everyone know. I have been planning this trip for a very long time. Bought my back in December and started training with it to get ready. Probably the best thing I have done for myself as far as health. Now I hope it doesn't kill me... lol

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
How about extra fuel?

If you've done 3 days before then you should be able to handle the ten as long as you are supplied correctly. As Mike said, the biggest hurdles will be the mental ones, especially if you aren't seeing the animals you are expecting to see. Good luck...sounds like you're going to have a great time!

-Dave

Fuel? You mean food? I think I have packed enough and I have an "extras" bag in case I get feeling down. If you mean gas, don't need any of that. Going into a wilderness area here in Wyoming. Nothing mechanical allowed in, not even a game cart.

cmeier117

WKR
Mentally for me on those 7+ day trips is the first 1-2 days. I get really bad altitude sickness and do not eat and then it gets worse but after 2 days I am fine. It is hard mentally those first couple days. Especially when My 3 year old calls and wants me to come home. Just drink lots of water the 2 days before you leave and day of. You will be fine though. Don't be afraid to take a power nap during the middle of the day if you are out glassing.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Fuel? You mean food? I think I have packed enough and I have an "extras" bag in case I get feeling down. If you mean gas, don't need any of that. Going into a wilderness area here in Wyoming. Nothing mechanical allowed in, not even a game cart.

DWarcher is talking about stove fuel.

Washington has the same rule about game carts but you can still bring a camp stove.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
Ahh.. sorry... I have a new tank for the jetboil I am taking with one fuel canister.

Good list is that weight with your water and weapon included? If there's lots of water on the way I won't fill my bladder until close to camp and just filter it into a water/gatoraid bottle that I take for mixing fruit drink stuff into. Wear your hunting pants in. I wear a sleeveless Adidas climalite shirt during the hike in. It's light weight dries fast and I don't soak my merino. It sounds like you are going with a partner so I'm assuming you are sharing the shelter. Get with your partner and make sure you guys aren't taking two of stuff you don't need ie shelters and stoves. So take one stove and if he wants he can take a spare jet boil fuel can. Since you are carrying the shelter have him carry your sleeping pad or stove, things like that. Also you may only need one kill kit depending on how you plan to deal with the meat. If we are going to sink the meat in a creek my partner will bring a second set if game bags. But if the plan is to put the meat back at the truck in a cooler. Then I leave the set at the truck.

Last edited:

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I will elaborate a but on why i asked my question.

It is always easier to talk yourself off the mountain than to stay on it. This year has, been a wet one, and will likely stay that way. Sideways rain smacking your face on a 35 degree morning is miserable. Talks lots of guys down early. Know your personal limits and go back to the tent early if you intend to survive some of the cold weather for the entire hunt.

Making it through the entire hunt may be as much of a trophy as an animal itself. The first long one is the hardest.

Before you leave take the wife/girlfriend out to dinner and have flowers delivered. Get that business done at home you are obligated to so the temptation to get off the mountain early and be at home isn't there.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
Good list is that weight with your water and weapon included? If there's lots of water on the way I won't fill my bladder until close to camp and just filter it into a water/gatoraid bottle that I take for mixing fruit drink stuff into.
No weapon I didn't count it because I was probably going to carry .

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
I will elaborate a but on why i asked my question.

It is always easier to talk yourself off the mountain than to stay on it. This year has, been a wet one, and will likely stay that way. Sideways rain smacking your face on a 35 degree morning is miserable. Talks lots of guys down early. Know your personal limits and go back to the tent early if you intend to survive some of the cold weather for the entire hunt.

Making it through the entire hunt may be as much of a trophy as an animal itself. The first long one is the hardest.

Before you leave take the wife/girlfriend out to dinner and have flowers delivered. Get that business done at home you are obligated to so the temptation to get off the mountain early and be at home isn't there.

Already have a "date" setup with my wife Thursday night. She is one of the most understanding women I know. Plus she knows how hard I have worked for this. I have gone as far as write little motivational sayings on my food packs.. Sounds corny but I read that somewhere and figured it couldn't hurt. I just hope I don't get to day 7 where I call myself a "persistent SOB" lol I am renting a sat phone so I can call home at least once. She told me no need that spot was enough, but I just felt better about having it. So I will share my experience with satellitephonestore once it gets here. So far they were great.

Eric - I will post plenty of pics. Now I get to see how the tarp holds up a long stay.

One thing I want to commend everyone that runs and participates on this site for. Without it, I would probably be going in and making a lot of mistakes that would cost me an enjoyable hunt or worse. At least now, I feel someone intelligent about what I am doing. I realize there is no substitute for experience but at least I feel good about trying.