Any luck with the cheap Red dots or Halo sights?

Beendare

WKR
My nephew just picked up one of those .22 M4 knock offs that is pretty cool looking....we have yet to shoot it.

He put a $29 red dot on it that his brother has been using with good reports.

Whats the consensus on these cheap Halo and red dot sights....is there anything worth looking at?

Trijicon and Aimpoints start in the $400 range and are what I would use for a serious weapon system....

but is there anything you have had success with for a cheapie plinking .22 type setup?

Rob5589

WKR
Same good luck with the Bushnell. Have had good luck with Primary Arms red dots as well.

I’ve had 2 tru glo sights. Not sure the model but I’ve had them for years. One on a 22 pistol and one on a 9mm carbine. Never had any issues with either and they’re cheap.

bruno747

FNG
I had a cheapo $50 sightmark on my 50 Beowulf for several years without issue. It now sits on my stepdad's 20 gauge that he uses slugs with for deer season. Stays right on the money but it never really saw any longer distance than about 75 yards. It was a quick release too, took some fiddling to get it to lock down tight.

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
Bushnell TRS 25 cheapest one i would use, then comes the Vortex Crossfire 2, Holosun and Sigs for all below $200 for a micro red dot. You can find some good used deals AR15.com on some Trijicon MRO's and Aimpoint PRO's. I have seen the PRO's for $340 at it cheapest and an MRO for $350. both with mounts.

I currently run a monstrum prism scope on my plinking 22lr. All I can say is it's impressive. I can't see a reason to spend hundreds of dollars for an optics used for plinking. I think cheap optics are worth looking at, you get to try a few without breaking the bank and/or buy more ammo.

Felix40

WKR
I put a super cheap pintey on my son’s .22. He has shot it quite a bit for about a year without losing zero. I’m sure it will fail at some point but by then he will be ready for a serious weapon.

I bought a cheap wal-mart $25 Center point red dot several years ago, and it ran perfectly on my Beretta Neos .22 handgun for years. Never a minute's problem with it. The dot was too large for me though, so I replaced it when the Bushnell red dots went on sale. I think I gave $60 for the Bushnell. It was great too. Never a problem with it either.

I wonder if this is an area where it's really easy to overspend, just because we are conditioned to think more expensive is always better?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a few cheap vortex ones on a couple of 22s. I think you can find them for around $200. I figure any red dot/holographic in that range will likely break, might as well buy from a company that’ll keep replacing them! Only vortex things I own.

22lr

WKR
The TRS-25 is a solid optic for what it is, I've had one for probably 6 years and its still going strong. Above that is probably the Vortex stuff. I have the Strike Fire and a Aimpoint CompM4. While I probably trust the Aimpoint more, the Strike Fire has been a solid scope and feature wise I prefer it. I just haven't had the Strike Fire long enough to trust it long term.

That said, im even more of a fan of the 1-4x24 or 1-6x24 scopes than any reddot. They are infinitely more useful to me. Ill probably never buy a reddot again.

That said, im even more of a fan of the 1-4x24 or 1-6x24 scopes than any reddot. They are infinitely more useful to me. Ill probably never buy a reddot again.
Unless we're talking about a handgun, I completely agree with this statement. I still like a compact red dot on a handgun however.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
One super durable and reasonably priced option is the Crossfire Red Dot. You would be able to find these in stores for $149.99. It's what I run on my AR and it comes with a low mount as well, so I have one on my turkey hunting shotgun as well.

gregjr

FNG
My man, just go with the Holosun HS510C! It's a no brainer!

This reflex sight doesn’t compromise on quality and accuracy. That’s where it beats out other competitors in the same price range!

If you'd like to know more about it, I've written a quick review here for you: https://patriotichunter.com/holosun-hs510c-review/

Do let me know if any questions :)