Any Model 70 shooters? Need bullet recs

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
I recently acquired a 1994 Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in 7mm Rem Mag. Finally sourced some ammo for it and shot a couple groups this weekend. With Federal Premium 160 Nosler Partitions I was getting 2-2.5' groups at 100 yards. Pretty disappointed performance compared to what I've shot with other factory guns and factory ammo.

I reached out to Unknown Munitions for ordering some ammo and they recommended the 168 Berger VLD (which I've seen lots of mixed reviews on). The barrel is 1:9.5 twist and has been cut down to 20".

This will be my main gun for Texas deer and hogs under 300 yards and hopefully another Montana black bear come spring.

Just open to any other bullet suggestions...

OP
texjitter

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to mention that it’s topped off with Talley rings and a NX8 (all screws and mounts torqued and re-checked after zeroing)

01906037-571C-4CAD-9667-4D12000ED284.jpeg303AB71E-E744-4521-91C2-8C4D5023E27C.jpeg

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Cool set up with the supressor and NF scope, I don't have a 7mm so I can't offer much help but I do have stainless classics in 375 and 300wm, I use accubonds in both and they shoot well.

minengr

FNG
If you haven't already, I'd check to make sure the mag box and bottom metal isn't in a bind. I've run across that a couple times with mod 70's. Anymore I'll take off 1/32 - 1/16" anyway just to be safe.

My 7mag likes 162gr Amax's, but I believe they have been discontinued.

Gasman

Lil-Rokslider
A couple of ideas:

Measure the distance to the lands; it tends to be long in factory M70's. If it is, consider changing out the mag box and follower to one from a 7mm STW or similar so that you can seat the bullets out further. You'd also have to shorten the bolt stop if you do this.

Try shooting the rifle without the can. Did you have the barrel chopped and threaded, or did it come that way? Check the crown for burrs or other defects.

Check your action screw torque. Bed the action if it isn't already.

Under 300 yards? Forget about high BC bullets. Try something like Accubonds.

I like the idea of shaving the mag box a bit just in case it's binding.

HTH.

SDHNTR

WKR
I own 4 M70’s and they all like different bullets. No matter what anyone here recommends or says shoots well in their rifle, you are still going to have to find what your rifle likes.

OP
texjitter

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
A couple of ideas:

Measure the distance to the lands; it tends to be long in factory M70's. If it is, consider changing out the mag box and follower to one from a 7mm STW or similar so that you can seat the bullets out further. You'd also have to shorten the bolt stop if you do this.

Try shooting the rifle without the can. Did you have the barrel chopped and threaded, or did it come that way? Check the crown for burrs or other defects.

Check your action screw torque. Bed the action if it isn't already.

Under 300 yards? Forget about high BC bullets. Try something like Accubonds.

I like the idea of shaving the mag box a bit just in case it's binding.

HTH.

I had it chopped/threaded by a local reputable guy who has done hundreds of barrels for us (I work at a gun store that specialized in suppressors)

I could try a group without the can but that kinda defeats the purpose since I won't hunt without it on there anyways. Never had accuracy issues with on my other guns...but who knows?

The mag box ya'll keep mentioning is interesting...guess I'll inspect it a little better

Gasman

Lil-Rokslider
I could try a group without the can but that kinda defeats the purpose since I won't hunt without it on there anyways. Never had accuracy issues with on my other guns...but who knows?
It could be something as simple as a barrel harmonics problem with the can mounted. Shooting the rifle with the can removed will at least tell you if that's the issue.

Also, gun manufacturers spend about what, $15 per barrel? Not every rifle that comes out of the factory will be a shooter. As SDHTR mentioned, though, it'd be worth trying a bunch of different bullet styles and weights.

I have two of these . One in 300 win and another in 270. The 300 always did shoot well, but the 270 wouldn't group. End up being a 6 lb trigger. Took it apart and adjusted trigger this helped. Then I found mcarbo springs and put one in both guns. I also restocked both guns. Now both guns shoot under moa.

Gasman

Lil-Rokslider
One other thing - check the barrel to make sure that it's free-floating. If it's touching, try shimming the forward part of the action until it isn't and try shooting it again. Part of a business card or the plastic tab that keeps bags of bread closed can be used as shims. If accuracy improves, that'll tell you that you need to relieve the stock until the barrel is free-floating without a shim.

Diagnosing a rifle that isn't shooting well is a trial-and-error process. Just going from one factory load to another is just one step of the process and might not fix your issue.

JFK

WKR
My dad’s M70 shot considerably tighter groups after he had a trigger job done. The factory trigger can be safely lightened and tuned by a qualified smith. Made a big difference on his rifle. I’d start there.

OP
texjitter

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
Lot’s of good info here, and most of these tips I have done on other guns. Was really just looking for some bullet suggestions on this one as a starting point.

Plan for this gun is a Manners stock and Proof CF barrel after this deer season is over. I got the gun for super cheap and didn’t really expect to get too much out of it until after all the upgrades anyways, but was just curious how other people had fared with them in factory form

Gasman

Lil-Rokslider
I don't put a whole lot of stock in factory ammo. Not that factory ammo is bad, it's just that a rifle's real potential often doesn't truly come out until you handload for it. When I do actually find a factory load that shoots well in one of my rifles, I consider myself to be pretty lucky. Nowadays, factory ammo is too scarce and too expensive to be trying to source a variety of ammo, when you could be spending that effort on working up a load.

You might want to do an online search and see how many guys are dissatisfied with Proof CF barrels (especially on Long Range Only), and if you want a Manners stock by 2022 hunting season, you probably want to place the order in the next couple of months or so at the latest. They are really slow, plus they often screw up the order, requiring additional time to return the stock to them to have the error fixed. I'm still waiting for them to return a stock to me that they screwed up the LOP on. The mistakes are even more common when dealing with a Winchester action, as Manners' stocks were originally designed for Remingtons. The "seating depth" is different between the two actions, so there are often issues at the rear tang or with the bottom metal inlet when you order a Manners for a Winchester.

260madman

WKR
Hornady SP ammo in 139 and 154 grain. Whitetail box.

I reload for mine but the last box of factory ammo I shot was the 139 SST Heavy Magnum. That was a long time ago.

PDXRN

FNG
150g bullets (I’ve only ever shot Federal Premiums) should give you some sub MOA groups. Or try 155g Terminal Ascent.