Any mushroom hunters on here?

OP
Trevor73402
I’m pretty sure I’ve ran across some of that chicken of the woods, but I wasn’t ever 100% sure what it was. I’ve been thru a lot of wild/rough shit in my life and survived so I can’t afford to get taken out by a killer mushroom at this point.

Just split, dry well and they preserve nicely in the freezer. I like to eat as many as i can when theyre fresh. Once i freeze and dry i generally add to soups and stirfry.
YMMV
Best of luck, a great time of year is upon us.

Moserkr

WKR
Trevor, COTW can cause issues IF its growing off coniferous trees as mine were. Wouldnt be fun getting a screwed up stomach at high altitudes. COTW on deciduous trees are very safe and choice. No one who tried mine had an issue, its just possible per the individual.

netman

WKR
I wish I knew more about mushrooms. I have picked up tons of morels but that is far as I go. I see other mushrooms in the woods and wonder if they are safe to eat. Maybe one of these days I’ll meet up with someone who can point out to me the good and no good.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
To me, there isn’t much taste difference except the yellow chanterelles. Might be from chewing tobacco for 35ish years. There’s quite a few edible kind around here, some look pretty weird. I’ve picked and sold them all. We used to have buyers you could take them to 40 years ago, not sure now. Beer and gas money when I was in high school lol

Wrench

WKR
Can you give some more info on what all you do with them? How do you cook yours? Do you mean you “can” them in the jars? Are they dry or is there a liquid in the jar with them? I don’t know much about them other than soaking them in salt water and frying them flour and grease. Most people I know pick them and cook them within a couple days or less. I know one guy tried to freeze some, but I don’t know how it worked out for him.
You want them as dry as you can get them. I've lost gallon bags before and its heart breaking.

To use a dried morel, rehydrate in cream for max effect or water works fine. Crush dried shrooms into cheap canned mushroom soup for a flavor explosion.

I've only ever hunted for morels up here, but usually dehydrate and vacuum seal or store in Ziploc bags. Still have a few leftover from last year, but I'm running low. I only pick what I can eat, and ended up leaving 100+ pounds in a 2-3 acre area. Hoping my decision to leave them was a good one so I can pick enough to hopefully make a few $$$ this year.

Any of you guys sell some of your harvest? What is the going rate for a pound of morels?

It’s been warm and wet here in NC, so I guess there should be mushrooms? I’ve never found a morel, but if I was to go on a quarantine hike where are the “hotspots” or places to target?

Wapiti1

WKR
We're still a couple weeks to go in central Indiana. I did come across a good oyster mushroom cluster last weekend. Probably my favorite mushroom. Hens, Chickens (both types, if you didn't know there were two types), oyster, shaggy mane, morels, and meadow mushrooms are common around here. These are also easy to ID and don't have deadly clones.

Morels like freshly dead trees with the bark just starting to fall off. Around here elm, ash, and oak seem to be good candidates. That said, they could be anywhere. Burns are good, new clearcuts are good. I had two ash trees in my backyard that died two years ago. Never saw a morel on my place until they died and we pulled 5 pounds of them there last spring.

Jeremy

IMG_1464.jpg

OP
Trevor73402
I can only speak for my area, but around here they (morels) are often found in/around cedars where there are other dead trees and ground that stays moist all the time, usually due to shade. They can often be found on southerly facing hill sides like creek banks. If the ground is extremely dry or saturated with water, you won’t find any in that area.

Shupe88

WKR
I’ve found a couple.
16ce95667df04777bf1ae9ee88ec321f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

netman

WKR
Nothing says spring time better than a big pan of fried morels and crappie filets.
We dehydrate our surplus morels in a food dehydrator and then vacuum packing them for storage. Nothingbetter than some sautéed morels on your eggs before heading out to deer hunt.

netman

WKR
There is a Amish Auction every week in Montgomery Indiana. During the spring there are hundreds of pounds of morels auctioned off daily for as high as $50 pound.

Scottyboy

WKR
I’ll be after morels once the snow is gone in a month or so. I do my shed and morel hunting on the same ground

Ddog

WKR
Can't wait for morels to pop up around here. Turkeys in the AM, 'shrooms in the afternoon and maybe drown a couple worms for a trout or two. Good times.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
We made it a practice to cut rather than pull. Supposedly better chance they come back. Anybody hear this before or notice a difference?

We made it a practice to cut rather than pull. Supposedly better chance they come back. Anybody hear this before or notice a difference?
Heard the same thing enough times that we do too. Dont know if it works or not. The good spots are usually good year after year for us.