Any NC black bear hunters here?

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
Nc resident here and really interested in a black bear hunt. Unfortunately, due to covid, I cant afford a guided hunt and dont know anyone with hounds. Any guys here diy hunt them without dogs?

Lowg08

WKR
I used to use dogs but not anymore. I still hunt or spot and stalk. Just have to do your due diligence. I’ve got a few places I have bear and deer in, so I always keep a bear tag. Spot and stalk is difficult. I will be riding my boat around this year looking for one on the bank

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not from NC but I know of a friend who has hunted there in the past. He’s told me that most of the farmers down there hate them cause they do so much damage to their crops. Maybe try asking around for permission and just to bear hunt no deer or any other hunting and you might get lucky. If your sticking to public I would find out what the major food source is in the area and look for sign. Bears in NC will be hitting fields and food hard in the fall.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I hunt bears without dogs in West Virginia and I suspect it would be similar. Find out what mast coincides with bear season and hunt that. Here, they really like white oak acorns, wild cherries, and hickory nuts. It is kind of unnerving listening to a bear chew up hickory nuts, shells and all.

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use dogs but not anymore. I still hunt or spot and stalk. Just have to do your due diligence. I’ve got a few places I have bear and deer in, so I always keep a bear tag. Spot and stalk is difficult. I will be riding my boat around this year looking for one on the bank
Any game lands you like more than others? I'm assuming you're coastal. Someone at work was telling me that some gamelands have food plots on them out there.

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not from NC but I know of a friend who has hunted there in the past. He’s told me that most of the farmers down there hate them cause they do so much damage to their crops. Maybe try asking around for permission and just to bear hunt no deer or any other hunting and you might get lucky. If your sticking to public I would find out what the major food source is in the area and look for sign. Bears in NC will be hitting fields and food hard in the fall.
Thanks for the info. I need to do a little research. We have bears in coastal and mountains. I'm not against hunting either area this year.

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt bears without dogs in West Virginia and I suspect it would be similar. Find out what mast coincides with bear season and hunt that. Here, they really like white oak acorns, wild cherries, and hickory nuts. It is kind of unnerving listening to a bear chew up hickory nuts, shells and all.
Do you hunt from the ground or stand? Yeah I need to do a little research. Weve got them in coastal region and Appalachian region. What's considered a good size bear in west va?

Lowg08

WKR
I’m actually in the mountains. Blue ridge and smokies. Lol. I hunt public land only. Depends on which area you are interested in. Dog season is all we have. We have to share. So it’s a whole different beast to tackle

Last edited:
I hunt them not far from you. In VA but a border county. Concentrate on food sources. If you can find an area that doesn't have dog hunting in it can help a lot with patterning them. They don't pattern like deer, but you can still find areas that they frequent. Some areas you are better off still hunting, others better off to stand hunt. I'm not familiar with the regulations in NC tho so don't know how it might over lap with hounds or anything else. We took one off the property we hunt down there that was 305# gutted. Definitely a good size bear, we have had bigger on camera, that's just the one that was there during the week long season muzzleloader season.

Pretty big bear in North Carolina tho, at least in the farm ground.

Last edited:

BAKPAKR

WKR
Do you hunt from the ground or stand? Yeah I need to do a little research. Weve got them in coastal region and Appalachian region. What's considered a good size bear in west va?

I still hunt through or sit in spots with a food source. I don’t use a tree stand or a blind. In WV, I have taken two with a bow (missed chances at a couple others) and four with a rifle. There are some big bears in WV, but I haven’t shot any of the monsters. I am not sure how much mine have weighed. Three of us had pretty good sized packs on my last one (also largest) between the hide and the meat.

FLS

WKR
If you want to kill one still hunting it’s all about the food. Find fresh poop figure out what they are eating. Find the source and hunt it ASAP. I live on the NC SC line near the coast and Ahave a good many where I hunt. I drew a coastal tag a couple of years ago and I had bears on cameras I had up for deer hunting and figured out what they were eating and where, slipped in a killed him on the first hunt. 250 lb boar. Further up the coast they focus on Ag food sources. Most of the private is tied up by outfitters or sub leased by Bear clubs.

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
I’m actually in the mountains. Blue ridge and smokies. Lol. I hunt public land only. Depends on which area you are interested in. Dog season is all we have. We have to share. So it’s a whole different beast to tackle
I just assumed since you said looking for one in your boat youd be at the coast. My bad. Need a hunting partner? lol

Lowg08

WKR
Come on. I’ll be riding around the game lands portion of lake Fontana

OP
B

Bsd0323

Lil-Rokslider
No way! I was just up there hiking a few weekends ago. We hiked the Jotyce Kilmer forest. I may hold you to that.

Lowg08

WKR
Yea come on. They walk down to the water all the time. Deer do too. Just can’t be under power when your shooting

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
I am a NC resident but have only Bear Hunted in VA. I really want to find some NC Public Land Mountain bears. I usually scout high benches with water and food nearby. Once I find fresh sign I get up in my Climber. I have been doing a bunch of e-scouting without much direction. So much of NC Public Mountain land just looks like solid forrest. I haven't found any of the patches of thick mix with forest that bears hang around that I'm used to seeing. I guess I'm just going to have to put some serious miles in the boots! Screenshot_2020-08-23 Ol’ Jake Outdoors ( cravingame) • Instagram photos and videos.pngScreenshot_2020-08-23 Ol’ Jake Outdoors ( cravingame) • Instagram photos and videos.jpg

Trunscav

FNG
Lots of Bear in PA. Have killed multiple over the years. PA now offers archery, in-line muzzleloader, and rifle hunts for them. In total it’s over 30 days to hunt bears this fall. I think every spot I have cameras at for whitetail scouting has had bear activity on them this summer. No dogs allowed or baiting here. Just find a good food source such as acorns and pick some public land with swamps or thick patches of laurels in it and I’d guarantee it holds bear.

Attachments

• 22CC201F-FC61-469B-ADCB-83FF899DB69F.jpeg
    22CC201F-FC61-469B-ADCB-83FF899DB69F.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20797001-9678-4F08-AB2A-7E674AF63D62.jpeg
    20797001-9678-4F08-AB2A-7E674AF63D62.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 11
  • FE8C3E5E-E942-4F06-9021-08067BBDC651.jpeg
    FE8C3E5E-E942-4F06-9021-08067BBDC651.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 47182B2C-A298-47B4-963D-9DD7E3DC23CA.jpeg
    47182B2C-A298-47B4-963D-9DD7E3DC23CA.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 12

Lowg08

WKR
North Carolina offers special permit draws for bear sanctuaries. I will trying to get one this year. I have gotten them in the past. These permits make still hunting allot better. Draw closes the 1st of sept

Rokbar

WKR
I did not know of the draws for sanctuaries. I believe hunting sanctuaries will help against competition. Already hearing there are supposed to be some acorns in the Mts. this year. Check game lands close to Asheville, lots of bears there. Ive seen a lot of bears hunting around here for 30 years. 90% have been in the evening. Walk the main ridges, logging roads, and trails in the evenings. Listen well, for bears can make a lot of noise in the woods. If the ash and blueberries hit, the Graveyard fields could be good for glassing and maybe stalking one.

Lowg08

WKR
A spot and stalk bear with a bow is on my bucket list especially here at home