Any NYers looking to go to Montana in 2020?

OP
TonySkyline
Ive got 1 point as well but where i went last year i believe it was general tag and was absolutely amazing especially with the brow tine rule that started last year. Next year should be crazy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
TonySkyline
We typically drive. Non stop but this year we are driving half way to rest up. I hunt the SW portion of the state.
Do you have to deal with grizzlies down there in the southwest corner? I flew into Billings and drove 2 hours north so i was North Central MT and no grizzlies but a ton of elk and mulies

Perrin713

FNG
Do you have to deal with grizzlies down there in the southwest corner? I flew into Billings and drove 2 hours north so i was North Central MT and no grizzlies but a ton of elk and mulies

Grizzlies? Wolfs? Mountain lions? Yes to all. Last year we saw a lot of lion tracks and plenty of wolfs chasing elk. No bears last year. Few years back we stumbled on a dead grizzly.

OP
TonySkyline
Im trying to look up the season dates as a bow/rifle hunt would be the ticket but i think their may be a week lull in between for whatever reason

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I drove from Northern NJ to Jackson Wyoming and back solo for a guided elk hunt this year. My buddy flew out with his son. I didn't get a shot but they both scored. I brought all their gear and the meat back. Made it back in 37 hours which included 4 1/2 hours of sleep. I would do a Montana rifle hunt next year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
TonySkyline
I drove from Northern NJ to Jackson Wyoming and back solo for a guided elk hunt this year. My buddy flew out with his son. I didn't get a shot but they both scored. I brought all their gear and the meat back. Made it back in 37 hours which included 4 1/2 hours of sleep. I would do a Montana rifle hunt next year.

Were you thinking guided or state land? Did you grab a pref point this year?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Were you thinking guided or state land? Did you grab a pref point this year?

I was so caught up in preparing for the Wyoming trip I lost sight of applying for the points. I'm willing to do either but may ultimately may be limited to land that requires no points if that even exists or a guided hunt where they can guarantee a tag.

OP
TonySkyline
Just put in for my tag. Grabbed the pref point so I’ll have 2 to almost guarantee I at least get the general units tag. My percentage to get drawn for the units I want are about .07% so I’m not banking on getting drawn anytime soon for my dream hunt units but ya gotta start somewhere and I may try to draw those units with archery as it’s usually 3-4 years wait vs 10+ with rifle. My kids will be taking me if I gotta wait that long but at least I’ll have someone to help pack out meat, lol. Anyone else flying in from NY in October? I’m going to find plane tix from SYracuse to Billings like I did in 18 I think and rent a truck from there. More than likely I’ll end up in the little belts but possibly will look at a few other areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perrin713

FNG
Just put in for my tag. Grabbed the pref point so I’ll have 2 to almost guarantee I at least get the general units tag. My percentage to get drawn for the units I want are about .07% so I’m not banking on getting drawn anytime soon for my dream hunt units but ya gotta start somewhere and I may try to draw those units with archery as it’s usually 3-4 years wait vs 10+ with rifle. My kids will be taking me if I gotta wait that long but at least I’ll have someone to help pack out meat, lol. Anyone else flying in from NY in October? I’m going to find plane tix from SYracuse to Billings like I did in 18 I think and rent a truck from there. More than likely I’ll end up in the little belts but possibly will look at a few other areas.

We are taking 2020 off. Heading back in 2021 for two weeks. We will be driving.

OP
TonySkyline
We are taking 2020 off. Heading back in 2021 for two weeks. We will be driving.

It looks like a good year to take off given the current circumstances. I am unsure now if I want to go now. I might get a refund for my tag and see how next year looks. Last place I want to be is in an airport then get sick out in the mountains! Super cheap plane tix though , just don’t know if I want to risk it or not

Wish it were 2020! I am going for 2021 - Need additional time for buy once, cry once and more points in both montana and wyoming. Better fire burn areas recovery too. Upstate NY Near Lk George NY

OP
TonySkyline
Wish it were 2020! I am going for 2021 - Need additional time for buy once, cry once and more points in both montana and wyoming. Better fire burn areas recovery too. Upstate NY Near Lk George NY
I ended up getting my 80% refund. Could not do it due to the quarantine restrictions getting back to my job/state. Ridiculous and to make it worse, I lost my preference points (2) so now idk if I'll even draw next year. . Oh well, I still don't have my rifle back yet which I thought for sure would've been done by now so that would've sucked too. Having a custom rifle built just for this and future western hunts and the wait has been over a year so im starting to get ancy. 2020 has been a crap year for everything for the most part but at least I still get vacation time to hunt regardless if its here in NY or driving to the midwest, ill be on the whitetail again this year and will dream about the west for another year.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk