Any NYers looking to go to Montana in 2020?

Looking for a partner to go out to Montana with next year. I went last year on a guided hunt by myself and had and amazing time. Might go that route again but would honestly like more freedom and control of where to hunt. Probably will at least fly there and possibly both ways as it is a long drive from upstate NY but would consider driving back if someone splits the miles driving. It would be cool to have someone help navigate and help pack meat and even split it for the help. I have a really decent area in mind for next year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dcoryn

FNG
I used to drive out from Canandaigua every fall, id meet some college buddies down in PA and make the trip. I moved to Sheridan, WY this spring though, so the drive will be a little shorter this fall up to Montana. Im amazed you cant find anyone else that would want to go. I always had people asking to tag along or trying to get on a "list" to come with on future hunts haha.

What part of the state are you from? A buddy and I drove to Colorado the last two years. Taking 2019 off for Western trips but already starting to think about my plans for 2020.

OP
TonySkyline
Upstate NY in between Utica and Syracuse.

OP
TonySkyline
Deer in NY, elk in Montana. Next time I go, im going to get a combo tag so i can take a mule deer. I had a few nice bucks walk by while i was elk hunting but didn't have the tag.

East2West

FNG
Hey tony I’m south of you on the island. Been building points in Wyoming but wanna get out west and hunt. Montana Colorado or any other state would be awesome I’m not opposed to guided but wanted to get into DIY. You bowhunt or rifle?

OP
TonySkyline
Hey tony I’m south of you on the island. Been building points in Wyoming but wanna get out west and hunt. Montana Colorado or any other state would be awesome I’m not opposed to guided but wanted to get into DIY. You bowhunt or rifle?
I do both but would prefer rifle next time i go. I also have i believe 3 points now towards wyoming but want to let that stack up for a bit.

OP
TonySkyline
The outfitter i went to last year was amazing. I will say they have elk by the hundreds on the property and they also hunt landlocked blm land that no one can get to without a helicopter. It was all tree stands and ground blinds which reminded me alot of home but it was hard to stay put when ya had bulls bugling in the set of woods right next to ya. Last year was also the first year they had antler restrictions so by next year the size should really be there. I seen about 300 different spikes while i was there. I was bow hunting and did get 1 opportunity at a nice bull but the blind i was in was to small to draw my bow in the way i was seated (long story). Anyhow the rifle is what im looking forward to as i know the success rate goes waaaay up.

The outfitter i went to last year was amazing. I will say they have elk by the hundreds on the property and they also hunt landlocked blm land that no one can get to without a helicopter. It was all tree stands and ground blinds which reminded me alot of home but it was hard to stay put when ya had bulls bugling in the set of woods right next to ya. Last year was also the first year they had antler restrictions so by next year the size should really be there. I seen about 300 different spikes while i was there. I was bow hunting and did get 1 opportunity at a nice bull but the blind i was in was to small to draw my bow in the way i was seated (long story). Anyhow the rifle is what im looking forward to as i know the success rate goes waaaay up.

Do you mind sharing who you went with and what size bulls they have? Feel free to send a PM

Another Upstate New Yorker interested in Montana but looking down the road to 2021. If you can get out there , just do it. Good Luck

Cubby

WKR
Are you guys just getting general elk tags or putting in for a drawing special permit?

OP
TonySkyline
I did general tag last year. Got a pref point this year but i doubt ill need it next year for the little belts which is where i plan on going if i go back to MT instead of Wyoming. I am thinking little belts or crazy mountains... ive heard and seen good stuff in both places.

Perrin713

FNG
I did general tag last year. Got a pref point this year but i doubt ill need it next year for the little belts which is where i plan on going if i go back to MT instead of Wyoming. I am thinking little belts or crazy mountains... ive heard and seen good stuff in both places.

You are right down the road from me. I’m located in the Finger Lakes Region. I typically go to Montana yearly. Heading back out in a few weeks.

OP
TonySkyline
You are right down the road from me. I’m located in the Finger Lakes Region. I typically go to Montana yearly. Heading back out in a few weeks.
Do you fly or drive? What part of Montana you go to?

Trial153

WKR
I have enough points to most likely draw a good bow tag in Montana next year. I am thinking of a late September hunt.