Any of you guys hammock camp?

Rsvrip

FNG
Any of you guys hammock camp? Do you use an underquilt? If so which one/brand do you use?

I'm thinking about using a hammock and quilt for late summer scouting around southern colorado. So feel free to say what you like/don't like and why.

Yup. I mostly make my own stuff but recommend the following in the following order;

Under ground Quilts - I will link to their Zeppelin Underquilt below but their Bandit Top Quilts are the best IMHO

Loco Libre Gear

Hammock Gear

Hit me up if you have more questions

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wassid82

WKR
I do it a fair amount. the latest I have done it was 3rd week in October. I use Kammok mostly. I don't have an under quilt so I'm excited to see what comments are on the forum. I use a BA Q-core pad that helps with insulation. a couple of times I went without it and even during the summer it was fairly cold at night when hiking. I wish the quilts were cheaper.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have an underquilt but have stayed plenty warm with an insulated pad under me. Never in freezing temps or anything though.

I do it a fair amount. the latest I have done it was 3rd week in October. I use Kammok mostly. I don't have an under quilt so I'm excited to see what comments are on the forum. I use a BA Q-core pad that helps with insulation. a couple of times I went without it and even during the summer it was fairly cold at night when hiking. I wish the quilts were cheaper.
IMHO ditch the pads. All they do is collect condensation. You're just going to have a morning when you wake up soaking from it. Underquilts and top quilts are a bit of a hassle but not too much more gear than you would bring camping. My particular setup I've had down to -5° and with the new underquilt that I just made I should be able to go to -10.

OP
R

Rsvrip

FNG
IMHO ditch the pads. All they do is collect condensation. You're just going to have a morning when you wake up soaking from it. Underquilts and top quilts are a bit of a hassle but not too much more gear than you would bring camping. My particular setup I've had down to -5° and with the new underquilt that I just made I should be able to go to -10.

Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that. Thanks

Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that. Thanks
In situations where you have high humidity and cold weather, You will notice that the humid warm air will collect on your pad which is cooler and if the dew point happens to be just right it will turn into condensation.

gexpro

WKR
i have tried to hammock camp a few times but i am to much of a cold sleeper, even with an under quilt. after a certain point, i realized my hammock setup not only weight more then a night ultra light tent setup, but it was more bulky as well.

I had a light weight tarp, hammock, hammock straps, sleeping bag, and under quilt.

I now run the KUIU 2p tent, KUIU 30 degree bag, neo air x lite.

Any of you guys hammock camp? Do you use an underquilt? If so which one/brand do you use?

I'm thinking about using a hammock and quilt for late summer scouting around southern colorado. So feel free to say what you like/don't like and why.
Yep. Best night sleep and weight is comparable to other sleep systems.

JRMiller

WKR
I never understood the hammock thing. Not knocking it, i just dont get it. Maybe i missed something but the
contorted uncomfortable sleeping position and heavy gear never attracted me in the slightest.
to each their own

I never understood the hammock thing. Not knocking it, i just dont get it. Maybe i missed something but the
contorted uncomfortable sleeping position and heavy gear never attracted me in the slightest.
to each their own
If you are contorted you are doing it wrong... a good, longer hammock, sleeping diagonal, is very flat and very comfy.

JRMiller

WKR
If you are contorted you are doing it wrong... a good, longer hammock, sleeping diagonal, is very flat and very comfy.
I have never tried it, but that arrangement is all I have ever seen on any advertisement, demo, camp vid etc. so I just assumed that's how ya'l were doin it.
Good to know though, thanks

I have never tried it, but that arrangement is all I have ever seen on any advertisement, demo, camp vid etc. so I just assumed that's how ya'l were doin it.
Good to know though, thanks

I'm just getting into hammocking... I had previously assumed the same as you... but I underestimated how comfy they can be. I'm waiting receipt of my warbonnet set up, but you can see a few pics here as to laying out in one:

As to benefits... I think that for me it will come down to comfort and flexibility... if it's wet/snowy, you stay off the ground and with a good tarp can stay just as dry as a tent. You also can pitch on hill sides, over rocks etc... it's not the end all be all, and I just got a new tent as well lol but I do want to play with hammocking this year as I believe it can be significantly more comfortable then laying on the ground.

The short eno hammocks and amazon hammocks may be nice to lounge in... but if you want to camp and sleep overnight, best to look at longer hammocks (10.5, 11, 12 feet etc)

Edit to add: "doing it wrong" was maybe a tad too harsh... I would say it's more gear and pitch dependent... so by "doing it wrong" I meant more the set up then the person... sorry if that came across as harsh :)

NBKYSCAR

FNG
I have a UGQ Bandit XL top quilt and it’s awesome. I’m sure their underquilts are equally warm but I was trying to keep costs down when I put together my setup so I went with the Arrowhead Equipment Jarbidge underquilt. It’s a 3/4 (more like 7/8) length synthetic underquilt that’s basic but functional and starts at $100.

Got the 25* and had it down to 20-25* so it’s warm, but I found it too narrow for me and ended up with a cold shoulder one night. May have been user error or may just be that I’m bigger than your average hammock camper...(XL shirt size, around a 52” chest)

Not really saving weight, but if the ground ain’t flat it’s a pretty good deal.
Actually Today's Modern Hammocks are almost on par with UL tenting. Even the Volume argument is being overcome - basically same weight and size now depending on the set up

Just went out a few weeks ago scouting around. Nights were in the high 30’s/low 40’s. I use a Kammock set up. It’s fairly easy to set up and very comfy to me. 588B87AD-122B-4B25-A9E1-D491DD0DE1AE.jpegA667E9FC-34A1-4C55-9BC7-CADDBC0A7AEA.jpeg