Any of you using Initial Ascent Pack?

hflier

WKR
I know there are some on line reviews of the Initial Ascent pack, but you never know their motivations. I am curious if any of you are using it and if so, what is your experience?

Ron

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm interested in this pack as well, I've pretty much narrowed it down to this pack and two others. I did watch Gritty's review and I think that he gives a pretty honest review of products.

Yes. Used it for my spring bear hunt. Carried load well. Needs some minor tweaks. I put it up against my kifaru, and ill be keeping my kifaru. It is built well and has good features.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Got one tried it out for a few weeks and carries load well, but the hip belt is not very comfortable and my head hit the back of the frame very easily. Very well built the bag had Kifaru quality but overall needs some tweaks to be amazing.

I know there are some on line reviews of the Initial Ascent pack, but you never know their motivations. I am curious if any of you are using it and if so, what is your experience?

Ron
I tried the daypack option this year. The frame is very comfortable for me. In my opinion it's right in the middle of a Kifaru Duplex and the Exo K3 Spyder frame. They use a large lumbar pad and a wide hipbelt. The frame is very stiff and carries the load right into your hips.

The load pannier is great and with the lid is a good daypack option if you just have kill kit, water, and emergency gear.

I'm not a huge fan of how the bags attach to the frame, and I wish the frame was a bit taller (25.5").

I will be using the 6K bag for archery elk this year.

I will say that from a customer service perspective they have been fantastic. When I call and ask questions you get one of the two owners. Any emails were answered within a couple hours.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I tried the daypack option this year. The frame is very comfortable for me. In my opinion it's right in the middle of a Kifaru Duplex and the Exo K3 Spyder frame. They use a large lumbar pad and a wide hipbelt. The frame is very stiff and carries the load right into your hips.

The load pannier is great and with the lid is a good daypack option if you just have kill kit, water, and emergency gear.

I'm not a huge fan of how the bags attach to the frame, and I wish the frame was a bit taller (25.5").

I will be using the 6K bag for archery elk this year.

I will say that from a customer service perspective they have been fantastic. When I call and ask questions you get one of the two owners. Any emails were answered within a couple hours.

Customer service is easy when you only have 7 customers….

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ouch! I guess your not a fan. Any reason why you're throwing shade?

I’m not throwing shade but this thread is a testament to how unpopular IA packs are compared to pretty much every other major hunting pack brand (kifaru, SG, SO, exo). I have no problem with IA packs, just never seen anybody use one while I’ve seen dozens of examples in person of all the other brands mentioned.

I’m not throwing shade but this thread is a testament to how unpopular IA packs are compared to pretty much every other major hunting pack brand (kifaru, SG, SO, exo). I have no problem with IA packs, just never seen anybody use one while I’ve seen dozens of examples in person of all the other brands mentioned.
I 100% agree that they aren't as popular as the other brands, but everyone starts somewhere right? The OP asked for opinions and I gave my honest assessment. I have owned literally every manufacturers frame and packs that you listed above, as well as several others. I haven't found a frame that fit my body as well as the IA frame. So regardless of how popular they are, the make an excellent product, and the customer service that I have experienced is second to none. I'm not saying they are the best pack on the market, everyone is different in what they like, but they are definitely worth a look if someone is in the market for a new pack.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I 100% agree that they aren't as popular as the other brands, but everyone starts somewhere right? The OP asked for opinions and I gave my honest assessment. I have owned literally every manufacturers frame and packs that you listed above, as well as several others. I haven't found a frame that fit my body as well as the IA frame. So regardless of how popular they are, the make an excellent product, and the customer service that I have experienced is second to none. I'm not saying they are the best pack on the market, everyone is different in what they like, but they are definitely worth a look if someone is in the market for a new pack.

I was only commenting on how few people seem to have them and nothing else.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was only commenting on how few people seem to have them and nothing else.
Initial Ascent released it's first pack in 2018 so obviously there's a few less of thier packs around then some of the other brands.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

brn2hnt

WKR
Talked with someone involved in the construction of Initial Ascent packs last year.

Just bumped into each other at the end of the day at the trailhead and offered a beer, no idea who he was or how to talk again, so take this for what it's worth.

My understanding is that Initial Ascent packs are made by essentially a cut/sew shop in Boise/Treasure Valley, of which this guy is an employee, not an employee of Initial Ascent themselves.

This dude gets a SWEET discount on initial ascent. He bought an EXO at full price.

Draw your own conclusions from that.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Packs are like boots in that others opinions don't mean shit if the fit isn't the same for both people. It rarely ever is. So with that said---here's my opinion.

I've used a bunch of junk packs and some different high-end packs and I'll say that I still like Initial Ascent hip belt and lumbar pad the most.

My hunting partner also bought one(at full price) after trying my personal 4k on a elk packout. He simply liked the fit better than the bikini frame.

Here's a link to the Cliff test on Rokslide YouTube
Still using this very same pack.
ef81292043e36e4d0c6b1c74d6dec7b7.jpg

Together we packed out a bunch of dead shit including a free range bison in these packs.

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
I love my IA pack. I have one of the first edition 4K. I love it. Used it on a 8 day archery hunt last Sept. and have no complaints. I haven't packed out an elk with it, but it carried 50lbs give/take on our trip easily. I've packed out several quartered out whitetails with it, and it easily handled the weight of 4 whitetail quarters. For me the pack is very comfortable, and when loaded heavy and I pull the load lifters snug, the weight transfers to my hips like a dream. You won't be disappointed.

And yeah...I guess I'm one of those 7 customers.

Last edited:

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked on up last week before TAC Snowbird. Hiked 6.5 miles 7.1 miles and 6.9 miles on 3 consecutive days at 11,000'. Loved the pack and the frame and the fit. I also own Kifaru and Kuiu and the IA will now be my go to pack. Also, great customer service.

I’m curious about them, but this is probably why I will never try one… price is right there with the rest, and if I don’t like it, the resale is probably pretty rough (relatively)

I did watch Gritty's review and I think that he gives a pretty honest review of products.
The problem with Brian’s reviews is arrogance (that might be a little harsh) but it’s almost like he doesn’t know different packs fit people different… it’s misleading for those who don’t know and are taking his advice as sound advice, he either doesn’t know or disclaim how different packs fit different people… it’s not just packs either, but I’ll stay on topic, haha

friends don’t let friends take Gritty advice very seriously

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m curious about them, but this is probably why I will never try one… price is right there with the rest, and if I don’t like it, the resale is probably pretty rough (relatively)

I’m sure they are good but you are right about every point you brought up.