Any old guys hunted Dall Sheep?

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Guys, I am 57 years old and trying to figure out if a Dall Sheep hunt is ever going to be possible. I have the funds, I am just wondering am I too old? Would like to hear from some guys that did it later in life. I am in good shape, but would need to drop about 20lbs. and train harder for awhile. I don't see photo's of a lot of guys my age on those hunts, so I am wondering is the time past as by the time I worked the logistics I would be 59-60 probably.

Ron

BuzzH

WKR
Depends on the person.

One of my college professors killed a dall ram very close to where I shot mine when I was 27 years old...he was in his 60's. He did some additional training, lost a few pounds, and ended up with a 43" ram.

I wouldn't wait if you want to do it...go.

yhc

WKR
I would go for it. It may take a little more time for you to climb than young bucks but if you are in a good shape then you can do it. Assuming you are not an Alaska resident, you will have to hire a guide so you will have some professional help.

It’s not going to get easier and if you wait too long you won’t be able to do it at all. But I know of guys in their 60s and even in their 70s going on sheep hunts.

Regards,

LitenFast

WKR
You can do it if you want to bad enough! I was a packer for two Dall hunts this year. First guy was 66 and tough as nails. Had to go his own pace but had no quit in him. Second guy was 59 and had a tougher time, but never gave up, just couldn’t get everywhere we needed to and the weather didn’t help us out. Both greatly enjoyed their hunt, one went home with a ram.

Hunting dall sheep is way more about the challenge, the adventure and the places they call home than the kill obviously, not that that isn’t the ultimate goal.

Do what you can to prepare mentally and physically and if you enjoy some good old fashioned suffering give it a shot, I doubt you’ll regret it if you can afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I've been on 2 bighorn, 2 dall sheep, and 2 mtn goat hunts the past few years....and I'm 58. All of these were self-guided. Guided hunts would have been even easier since guides may pack more gear/meat, etc! If you have the $ you could likely hire an additional guide to haul your pack. I stay in great year-round condition so that helps a lot.

There are a number of types of sheep hunts. Horses would likely be one of the easier routes. I think some of the Yukon and NWT outfitters do helicopter drops...which would also make things easier. The toughest dall sheep hunts would be backpack style with no fly-in. If I had the $ I would do a guided NWT or Yukon hunt every year until I couldn't walk! You'll likely need to do more to get away from other sheep hunters in quite a few spots with OTC tags in Alaska. Sheep are bar-none my favorite critter to hunt. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I remain healthy....no way do I want to quit sheep/goat hunting!

I'm not sure what shape you are in but obviously the better shape the better chance for success. I would definitely go for it! If you need a side-kick I would be glad to tag along!

I don't believe a person is ever too old to hunt sheep, maybe too out of shape, but never too old. I think that one of the biggest obstacle's to mountain hunting, be it sheep or goats, is just having the right mindset and desire. Obviously, being in the best shape you can be in is very helpful, but it's not everything. You have a few years on me (I'm 51), and also a few lbs. over wt. and not in the best shape, but I do at least one mountain hunt every year and plan/hope to be continuing that well into my 70's....that is, if I live that long and baring any major injuries. I say that if you can financially afford it, you should book it, and start a solid exercise routine, so that when the time comes you'll be physically up to the challenge. One thing is for certain, if you keep putting it off, you'll never do it, and that would be a shame.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Yup, what has been already said. Mike Horstman is a guide in AK and he is 64. He was recently in a camp where I was hunting and EVERYONE said that guy is a Goat. His packers were in their 20's and they told me he would out hike them no problem.

keller

WKR
Go for it.20 lb loss is no problem once you start training lay off the bread,pasta and potatoes.you'll be their in no time.we only have so much time here and it's not getting any cheaper.I went on my first sheep hunt last year at 49 and I think about it every day wishing i would have started younger and trying to plan the next hunt.it's good incentive to take care of your body. Nothing quite like the sheep mountains.best of luck

MattB

WKR
57 isn't that old. Agree with the notion that shape and not age is the limiting factor. Mental toughness is a big aspect too.

Some outfitters like Gana Ruver offer horseback hunts which are not as physically demanding.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron, just go. You know what you need to do and you will.
I guess I'm an "old guy" (62) but I can still get after it, sort of. Just a whole lot slower and a lot more aches and pains.
If I had the funds for a sheep hunt, I'd be on the phone right now making reservations.

Randy

I finished up an archery Grand Slam a couple years ago when I was going on 65. Hunted with Canol Outfitters in the Mckenzie’s in the NWT. Awesome hunt!

I spent the previous 6 yrs hunting Stones in BC (resident). 8 backpack trips to arrow one. And in 2018 I helped my buddy arrow a dandy stone. 2-1/2 day packout. One yr an old buddy went along, not hunting. He was 70 and packed with me for 14 days.

I typically lost a pound a day on my sheep hunts. I’d start in decent shape and finish feeling great. I obviously believe you should go sheep hunting. Nothing like it in my opinion. Good luck!

Beendare

WKR
I killed one at 56. Its a bucket list species.....try it.

IMO, Its really more about your level of fitness than hunting skills.

Worth noting; Not all Dall sheep hunts are the same. I hunted an open unit in the Alaska range....many miles to even find a legal ram. Some areas are easier to navigate....like the NW territories...and others require a 20+ mile backpack in just to get into sheep country. Any way, you get what I mean.....check with the outfitter on that...some are a lot easier physically than others.

Then there is your choice of weapon- it matters. I spent a few days sitting on a ram trying to kill him with a bow...ran out of time and ended up shooting him with a rifle. MUCH easier hunt with a rifle. I could have easily chased that ram for 3 more weeks with no opportunity. First day we saw him it was a layup rifle shot. Big difference.

Typically its the getting to a legal ram thats the hard part as sheep aren't particularly wary.

VernAK

WKR
When I was 69, I had an ablation heart procedure to fix AFib. It took another 60 days for the arrhythmia to settle down. I did some flatland walking with a light pack for two weeks and killed a nice ram on 26th August. I did have a partner to help with packing. Allow enough time for weather events and get after it!

My buddy's daughter wants to go for a dall next August and I may just go along. They hardly need a camp cook for Mountain House but a week in sheep country is hard to pass up at any age. I'll be 78!

When I was 69, I had an ablation heart procedure to fix AFib. It took another 60 days for the arrhythmia to settle down. I did some flatland walking with a light pack for two weeks and killed a nice ram on 26th August. I did have a partner to help with packing. Allow enough time for weather events and get after it!

My buddy's daughter wants to go for a dall next August and I may just go along. They hardly need a camp cook for Mountain House but a week in sheep country is hard to pass up at any age. I'll be 78!
Good for you Vern, I hope it works out for you next year!

I’m about your age and sheep/goat hunting is my current passion. One of my good hunting friends is 75 and goes on at least one sheep hunt per year. As folks have already said being in shape, determination / mental toughness, and being familiar with how to use your gear makes a lot of difference. A lot of decisions to make - boots, sleep system, weapon, backpack, hydration, optics, electronics, etc.

NWT is a good option for a Dall Sheep. Many outfitters there offer helicopter rides to camp where they’ve already spotted sheep, and the terrain to the sheep is still tough but not horrible.

Biggest mistake I see guys make in ”losing 20lbs” and “getting in shape” for a sheep hunt, is starting too late. Starting 6 months ahead gives a guy plenty of time to gradually immerse into a Sheep-shape routine. Trying the 90 day cramming routine is much more likely to end up missing the goal or worse yet, orthopedic injury by pushing too hard, too fast.

My 2 cents

SLA

FNG
Ron, I’m your age and have been on three sheep hunts , a mountain goat hunt, a moose caribou combo , two black bear hunts as well as a antelope hunt in the last 5 years. You have the means financially , most of the basics have been covered -determination, getting in shape, the mental aspect, etc. Another I’ll add is the end result, something you need to picture in your mind as you train. Good luck in your planning and take lots of pictures.

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Guys thanks for the encouragement. Good to know I am not crazy. Going to start my research.

Ron