Any old guys hunted Dall Sheep?

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
I just turned 60, will be going on my first sheep hunt next August in the Wrangells. Some say you avoid challenging hunts when you get old, I say you get old because you stop doing challenging hunts. Staying in shape gets harder, and the aches and pains get more prevalent with wear and tear. But it hasn't stopped me yet. I put six kids through college over a 16 year period. Compared to that, sheep hunting seems like a bargain.

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
You guys are my hero’s and have made me feel better about fighting Father Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testosterone Replacement Therapy: not for everyone, but a life changer for some.

At this age (57) TRT is working wonders for a lot of my friends. I don't do it yet, but I suspect there will come an age when it will be something I do to help with motivation and fitness.

Riding the bike daily naturally boost testosterone, so that is my "TRT', but that won't work forever and certainly won't work for all men. My genetics provide good levels as long as I exercise, but I have buddies whose T levels are naturally low at our age.

I say get your T checked. It's as important (or more so) as any other fitness building block. If your level is low and you lack energy, consider the risks; consult your physician; and make an informed decision.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
So the clear consensus is at 57, You’re not old enough to ask if your too old.

I’m a newer to sheep hunting, having always possessed a desire for mountain hunting, just fallen from out of shape to grossly out of shape between grad school, family, ensuing years of sedentary work. Always got out and hunted, with great success, but was always way harder than it should have been and certainly wasn’t like an extended backpack sheep hunt. Albeit packing big Alaskan moose quarters when out of shape sucks whether flat ground or not, and it’s never flat, only seem to kill em downhill of camp.

Sheep hunting changed my life in the most amazing ways. It was and continues to be my main carrot in racing towards a better stronger, fitter self. At 46 I’m in way better shape than I was in my early 20’s and plan is to chase sheep every chance I get till my knees give out beyond repair or some other catastrophic physical failure. Crossing my fingers that won’t be for many years. Would love to chase sheep in my 70’s, better yet 80’s. One of my favorite folks to hIke with now sadly lives in AZ and UT, but when we get into the backcountry, that man is simply hard to keep up with since he got his new knees a couple years ago—at 76. He can still carry a heavy pack and has zero difficulty in putting down 15+ miles a day. And has the most intriguing stories of sheep hunts and teaching in rural Alaska. Think age brings a level of patience and experienced temperament allowing a proper pace for the long hauls.

Go for it. And my only additional suggestion is if you have the funds to easily book a good quality guided hunt, spend a little more, and do some amazing backpacking trips as often as you can between now and then. Best training for backpacking hunts at elevation is well, backpacking at elevation. California between Yosemite and Mt. Whitney is gorgeous and perfect up and down with steep climbs through passes in the 11k-13.5k feet range. Of course anywhere in the Rockies will get you to elevation. Here in Ak, I haven’t hunted sheep over 6’500 feet, and often they are much lower than that. But, we also often start packing down a trail at or only few hundred feet above sea level, and grades can be steep. My favorite training trails close to the house climb over 3000’ in 2.5 miles.

So my baby brother coming up for sheep this year from Tulsa OK, he’s got a lot of stadium climbs and stairwells in his future to get ready for August—and we will likely do another trip to the high sierras as we have past few years, such makes the hunt feel less brutal. Good luck and so, so hope you do it.

You can do it.
Stay consistent with your training and eat healthy. One of my keys is gradually working up to carrying 45-plus pounds up/down steps, on the elliptical glider, stair master and take it one day at a time. I'm 62 and have at least two more sheep hunts booked and one AK-Yuk moose hunt...all in the Yukon.
Last year at 61 I did Idaho in Sept with backpacking 7 total days and no riding a jetboat up/down the Snake looking for rams and where to drop off at. Last December my son and I also did Desert Bighorn in MX and we covered some serious terrain...not easy and not flat. There are 9 rams hanging on my wall and it started in 2009, so you're definitely not too old.
Best,
DWD

Westy35

FNG
When I was living in Colorado in my 20's, my main hunting partner was mid-50s. He always kept up with me, and hi killed a great dall ram in the Chugach as he was getting closer to 60 than 50. Go for it! Do not wait!

I’m 47 and I’m going on my first Dall hunt in 2020. Age is a state of mind. Get in the best shape you can and like the other guy said, stay in year round condition. If your idea of training is sitting on the couch watching YouTube hunts, you won’t be ready. There are some good sheep/goat training tips you can find online that focus around inclined treadmill work and kettle bells. Wont take long until you’re kicking that treadmills ass.

xhawkco

FNG
No problem... a lot of great points were made. I'm 60 my history: College hockey player, US Marine for 26 years, 1 marathon, hundreds of 10k's and triathlons, mountain hunter and high altitude mountaineer (Denali/Aconcagua). I've trained with many different trainers/coaches from all over the world. Best advice I can give is read "Training For The New Alpinism" and become a member of Uphill Athlete (google it). Build your aerobic base (4-6 months) then develop your muscular endurance (2 months out). Your desire for the hunt and your training plan will aid you in developing your mental toughness. Remember when in the mountains climb half as fast, think twice as much and don't let your desires exceed your capabilities. Good luck.

I am 68 and will be doing a walk in sheep hunt this fall with a good friend of mine. It basically is out my back door, but still 10 to 15 miles plus one way in. I plan to be mountain hunting for as long as I can crawl!!
This years hunt is especially important to me. My beloved wife's illness and death has been an extremely hard
time for me and the best solace I have found is staying busy and hiking!! So I am even more motivated
than ever.
My cutoff has been -20 and colder this winter. It is -25 at the house as I write this and I am hoping it warms enough by this afternoon to go for a walk !!

Bob

VernAK

WKR
I am 68 and will be doing a walk in sheep hunt this fall with a good friend of mine. It basically is out my back door, but still 10 to 15 miles plus one way in. I plan to be mountain hunting for as long as I can crawl!!
This years hunt is especially important to me. My beloved wife's illness and death has been an extremely hard
time for me and the best solace I have found is staying busy and hiking!! So I am even more motivated
than ever.
My cutoff has been -20 and colder this winter. It is -25 at the house as I write this and I am hoping it warms enough by this afternoon to go for a walk !!

Bob

Good Morning Rob!

Are you going across the Highway from your place?
If you need some gear, let me know.

Good Morning Rob!

Are you going across the Highway from your place?
If you need some gear, let me know.
Hi Vern!!

Thanks so much!!
Yes , I haven't decided exactly where , but basically across the road. I plan on doing a few scouting pack trips
starting this spring, combined with some grizzly hunting.