Any one have experience with this Hammock Sleeping bag system

btp

FNG
I've done some trips in the smokies using a simple Eno and a standard bag and love sleeping in a Hammock. But as we all know, a sleeping back will be cold underneath a hammock even in temps well above the bags rating. I'm looking to put together a true hammock sleep system. While shopping under and over quilts I came across this product by Hyde & Burke. Pretty good reviews, but I'm guessing the Amazon crowd may not be pushing their gear like this group.

Does anyone have any experience with this product or one like it? I like the versatility and I like the idea that it can be used as a regular bag. Last season I did a drop camp hunt that had wall tents and cots, but I wanted to be able to save time and miles and spike out every other night next year. This seems like a great option to be able to use as a bag on a cot and then with the hammock on spike outs.

Thank you for any feedback!

twall13

WKR
While I don't have any experience with that particular product you mentioned, a system like that will never be as warm as an underquilt and top quilt combination because it leaves gaps, meaning more air space your body has to heat. That said, one of the more tried and true systems like this is the Outdoor Vitals Mummy Pod. My sister has one and it is certainly better than a standard sleeping bag and pad combo for use in hammock, in my opinion, but you lose some warmth because of the versatility. I like a true underquilt over a system like this but depending on the temperatures and conditions you plan to use it for it could work.

As for use with a cot, I personally use a quilt on a cot for base camp situations without issue, just make sure you have a warm pad and you should be good to go. Then take that quilt along, with a paired UQ, and spike out with a hammock.

Apollo117

WKR
I am seriously doubting the claimed 0 and 15 degree temp ratings with only 650 down. 20 and 35 is probably more likely. Based on the weights (almost 3lbs and up) I could be wrong.

I would have more peace of mind with an Enlightened Equipment Revolt bottom quilt plus a quality top quilt (probably also from EE). That way I can use the top quilt with a pad if when I'm tent camping. This combo from EE is considerably more expensive though.

I read some good things about the ENO Ember 2 bottom quilt, but I haven't used it.

Made me think of the hammock pod I think it's called... Supposedly they work, but you can't really "snuggle," the top as it sits above you...

I don't think I would like it... Ide rather have a bottom quilt and top quilt by hammock gear, warbonnet, EE etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
Another thing to think about, the way the ends close up around the hammock looks like it would either leave a good gap for airflow, or severely restrict the hammocks ability to spread out so you can lay on a diagonal. Of course it's a bit of speculation on my part having not used the system before but I've slept in a hammock in enough conditions that I can see it being an issue you'd have to deal with.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I am seriously doubting the claimed 0 and 15 degree temp ratings with only 650 down. 20 and 35 is probably more likely. Based on the weights (almost 3lbs and up) I could be wrong.

I would have more peace of mind with an Enlightened Equipment Revolt bottom quilt plus a quality top quilt (probably also from EE). That way I can use the top quilt with a pad if when I'm tent camping. This combo from EE is considerably more expensive though.

I read some good things about the ENO Ember 2 bottom quilt, but I haven't used it.
It's legit - I have their zero degree mummy bag and it's 650 fill - I took a winter camping trip last November here in Colorado - Temps got below zero first night and single digits the second night, I was fine.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I've done some trips in the smokies using a simple Eno and a standard bag and love sleeping in a Hammock. But as we all know, a sleeping back will be cold underneath a hammock even in temps well above the bags rating. I'm looking to put together a true hammock sleep system. While shopping under and over quilts I came across this product by Hyde & Burke. Pretty good reviews, but I'm guessing the Amazon crowd may not be pushing their gear like this group.

Does anyone have any experience with this product or one like it? I like the versatility and I like the idea that it can be used as a regular bag. Last season I did a drop camp hunt that had wall tents and cots, but I wanted to be able to save time and miles and spike out every other night next year. This seems like a great option to be able to use as a bag on a cot and then with the hammock on spike outs.

Thank you for any feedback!
Although I do not have a pod system I will share a little experience that a friend of mine had with the outdoor vitals chinese Krap he bought;
First let me preface this by stating that I do have a hyke and byke zero degree 650 fill mummy sleeping bag. I love it. It's heavy but that's why it's my winter bag (I also have a 0°, 900 fill top quilt from outdoor wilderness logics which I absolutely love).

But in the dead of winter when it's below zero there's no room for error and I like to go pulking now that I made my own pulk. I had my zero degree mummy before I ever began hammock camping - and honestly it has more coverage than my real fancy expensive top quilt.

Now on to my story or my friends rather. He bought the mummy pod from outdoor vitals. when the mommy pod arrived as my friend described it he was so excited he held it up and looked in awe and dismay as he was able to see daylight right through the quilt. probably because he spent good money he decided he wanted to try it before he complained. he took it out not even on a very cold night I believe he said it got down to around 35° (outdoor vitals said that his gear was rated down to 20 ⁰). he said he froze his ass off and no it wasn't because there were air gaps he took video and we analyzed it when he came back. *****This is the part you probably really should pay attention to*******.
you see outdoor vitals does a great job marketing they do a great job advertising but their customer service absolutely blows. None of their gear is made by them so they outsource everything to China. When my friend complained all their customer support team appeared to have been trained to do was politely listen, and then give the run around. So my buddy was ignored for quite some time - I think he said he had about a half a dozen back and forth emails that went nowhere, then he began trying to call them, until he stepped onto social media and officially began calling them out on their Facebook page and other such social media platforms. Low and behold guess who decided to pay attention now. For my buddy it was way too late and was really disturbing when he discovered there wasn't much anybody on the stateside could do to fix the problem since they don't even make the gear.

Long story short, and don't take this politically, probably better buying American. For one of the cottage vendors this well could be their kids' dance lessons, football pads, hockey equipment, who knows maybe it's something they desperately need....

That's better equipment you're going to get, better customer service, and you're going to support somebody's family.

Not that hyke and byke Do what outdoor vitals does and I truly like the company. You will see some more comments on here in relation to the pod system Not being exactly what is advertised. And this is true it has limitations.

IMHO start small - get yourself something synthetic but durable. Start saving start learning start watching.

When you're ready move on up.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

OP
B

btp

FNG
What a fantastic response from everyone, thank you so much. I know amazon supports a lot of small vendors and I get a perk of amazon gift cards with my job. Thats what popped up.

I've been shopping the enlightened equipment gear. I'm a big fan of buy once, cry once and that stuff seems to qualify as a big cry but then be happy as your gear does what its supposed to do in the backcountry.

Thanks again all.

I do. Learned the hard way not to read the menu from right to left, staying warm in a hammock is the difference between sleeping or not. Not a cheap option but my -10* EE Conundrum (over-filled) is worth every penny...get a hoodlum and booties too, even mitts for serious cold. I prefer a hammock for foul weather treks, easier to generate sufficient body body heat in the smaller bear burrito than a tent (which often gets wet & muddy if you're able to find a flat spot without roots and rocks) and goes up quicker. Nice to up off the ground and dry. Put it on your Christmas wish list, that's how I got mine.

eeconundrum.jpgeehoodlum.jpgIMG_0283.jpg

Amazer

FNG
I have the H&B 650 0 deg Hammock bag and for over a year now and love it. I have had it down to 10 deg in my tipi style tent and I was still very warm in it. I bought the bag as I wanted the extra space as I am a side sleeper and I'm 5'9" and 200 lbs so I find most bags are tight for me. sorry I have no experience in the hammock setup. I close the top and bottom tight. It's great quality and and I am not disappointed in it at all and yes I would buy it again. I'm looking at a lighter one for mountain hunting most likely the 15 to save a few ounces.

Fitzwho

WKR
In a proper hammock setup you would lay diagonally to attain a "flatter lay". This bag looks like it would restrict that and cause what people in hammock circles call "banana lay". Which is basically a rookie move in hammock camping.

I run a Cedar Ridge Gear Fontana Top (20F) and Under Quilt (30F). I should have got the under quilt in 20F as well, but it gets the job done just fine. If it gets colder than 30F I am usually hauling the tipi, cot, and stove with me anyway though.

ICantHunt

FNG
i've done some hammock camping in the winter, and what I've noticed is an underquilt and overquilt seem to be way warmer than what you posted. I was car camping and not hunting during this so i'm not sure if the weight of an underquilt and overquilt are worth it while backpacking.