Any opinions on a “do it all” shelter?

Brendan

WKR
If I could only have one, it would 100% be a floorless with stove, but would need to be able to add a bug net inside here in the northeast or any areas with summer mosquitoes and such.

Better option is something like a sawtooth and stove, then a cheaper backpacking tent for the summer months.

I HATE Floors sometimes. A real pain when you have to go in and out of your shelter multiple times in the rain, keep taking boots on and off, and still get it muddy and dirty inside. Much easier to have a small ground cloth inside.

rayporter

WKR
one shelter just wont do it. there are too many compromises.

dont sell any shelters, just buy another and after you have 3 you will have enough in your quiver to suffice.

i have not got out a floored shelter in at least 12 years, and probably 16 years.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
The best tents I've used bar none are Hillebergs. I had the Keron 3 and it's a great tent, but it's heavy/bulky for backpacking unless you're going with a group and can justify the weight. I bought it to use when camping with motorized vehicle or if you were maybe using a pulk it would be an OK idea. But I wouldn't carry it in a pack. It is a true arctic expedition/conditions tent if you need that kind of strength.

For nearly identical performance with a little smaller space and a lot less weight, my favorite Hilleberg tent is the Kaitum 2 for two people. Same profile as the Keron 3 but a little less wide. The durability is extremely good and you can buy a set of extra poles if you want to double pole for strong wind conditions. They make bigger versions which will also be excellent. But the Kaitum 2 for two people/gear is awesome weight to strength to space ratio. The other thing about the Kaitum is they have vertical walls on each end and not the slanted wall like the Nallo series so they have a lot more usable room with two vestibules.

I have used floorless tents and don't rate them unless you are using a stove. If you are not using the stove then the open ground releases heaps of condensation inside the tent and the walls stay constantly wet. Also if the ground is wet when you setup the tent you quickly create tons of mud inside the living space. The stove will help dry it out if you have wood to use though. I also don't find them nearly as strong in the wind as the Hilleberg tunnel designs with enclosed floors.

But with that said, if you want a stove then you should go with the floorless. But just be realistic about how often you'll use the stove vs. not and realize that if not using the stove they have some disadvantages.

Last edited:
I bought two tents last year off of Rokslide.

1) Kifaru Sawtooth w/stove... I kept
2) Hilleburg Nallo 3GT...sold to buddy

We hunt together, so win:win for both us. Here in E. Oregon, thinking Spring-Early Fall—>Nallo GT and the Kifaru for Late Fall/Winter for the heat source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought two tents last year off of Rokslide.

1) Kifaru Sawtooth w/stove... I kept
2) Hilleburg Nallo 3GT...sold to buddy

We hunt together, so win:win for both us. Here in E. Oregon, thinking Spring-Early Fall—>Nallo GT and the Kifaru for Late Fall/Winter for the heat source

I use my Kifaru Tut (with or without stove (and my Borah Gear Bivy) every Sept chasing elk in CO) and my Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 when kayak camping and bugs are present. I’ve also got a couple of tarps I can use but those two shelters cover everything I do year round.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d also look at both the Kuiu Mountain Star and Storm Star

free standing, double walled, dual vestibules, fly is pre-attached to the inner so putting it up in a storm is much quicker (and drier) AND pretty damn light

I have the Mountain Star and am very confident in its storm worthiness

definitely qualifies for a do everything (anytime) shelter

TFrank

WKR
When you figure out the "one size fits all": Dont tell anyone. Take the design to manufacturer, make lots of money. There are lots of options that fill most needs, none that fill all. Your idea of cimarron with stove, liner, and half nest would give you lots of versatility and you don't have to use all pieces at once.
That seems legit.

I have a cimarron. I haven’t used it yet but picked up a MLD bivy the other week to pair them for additional protection and just to have depending on the trip. The bivy is at 7ish ounces. Never checked the weights on the SO nesting additions.

Also liked the idea of having a bivy option for a light tarp/ bivy set up. Haven’t really messed around with bivys yet so can’t yet speak to it’s use.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Granted I am biased, because I a part of Seek Outside, but I feel the Cimarron is about as do it all as can be https://seekoutside.com/cimarron-pyramid-tent/ . Use it flourless if you want, use it with a liner and no floor, use it with a partial nest and stove, use it with a full nest for the family as a car camping or overloading rig. I've seen customer reviews where it was bought asa hunting or winter tent and became the go to summer and even overloading tent.

Lawnboi

WKR
I agree the cimmaron is a do it all tent, with a stove and a half nest it takes me from skeeter season to snowing. For my uses it’s kind of a jack of all trades. In the summer I want smaller and lighter, in the winter I want bigger. But the cimmaron makes it all work.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree the cimmaron is a do it all tent, with a stove and a half nest it takes me from skeeter season to snowing. For my uses it’s kind of a jack of all trades. In the summer I want smaller and lighter, in the winter I want bigger. But the cimmaron makes it all work.
Don't disagree .. you could also lump in the LBO as well .. however for solo summer I go smaller .. and winter bigger .. but I could certainly use a Dyneema Cimarron for all of it

Lawnboi

WKR
Don't disagree .. you could also lump in the LBO as well .. however for solo summer I go smaller .. and winter bigger .. but I could certainly use a Dyneema Cimarron for all of it
I wish, a dyneema cimmaron is a bit out of my reach..... that’s said I was thinking eolus for summer trips with the wife, and archery solo, and a redcliffe or 8 man for cold weather 2-3 people.

Then again now with a lab I might need all of the cimmaron....

Lots of options. Me and my hunting partners along with my wife definitely are looking at something bigger for fall hunts when it’s cold. OT 2-3 guys, large stove, would you reccomend a 8 man or redcliffe?

Sadler

WKR
@Kevin_t any word on the guardian? From what I remember reading it’s a little bigger than the Eolus with a stove Jack. That seems to be about a perfect shelter to me.

Last edited:
OP
WestTexasBestTexas
I’d also look at both the Kuiu Mountain Star and Storm Star

free standing, double walled, dual vestibules, fly is pre-attached to the inner so putting it up in a storm is much quicker (and drier) AND pretty damn light

I have the Mountain Star and am very confident in its storm worthiness

definitely qualifies for a do everything (anytime) shelter

It’s funny you mention this - the Storm Star has certainly caught my eye and being less expensive than a Hille, is also interesting.

It’s funny you mention this - the Storm Star has certainly caught my eye and being less expensive than a Hille, is also interesting.

We have put our Storm Star through its paces here in WA, from torrential rains (the entirety underneath our tent was flowing water for ~30 hours) to driving snow storms and gale force winds, and it is a tank. I could do without the glow-in-the-dark rams skull logo above my head when I'm sleeping, but it doesn't "put out light" so to speak.

Bit tight for two guys, at least for us at 6' 165# and 5'10" 155#.

OP
WestTexasBestTexas
We have put our Storm Star through its paces here in WA, from torrential rains (the entirety underneath our tent was flowing water for ~30 hours) to driving snow storms and gale force winds, and it is a tank. I could do without the glow-in-the-dark rams skull logo above my head when I'm sleeping, but it doesn't "put out light" so to speak.

Bit tight for two guys, at least for us at 6' 165# and 5'10" 155#.
This is where I'm running into problems, but will be the case for pretty much any similar-sized tent. I'm 6'5 200lbs, but I'd likely only use the shelter with my wife, or potentially my buddy who is about 5'6 140. Might visit the classifieds to see if anyone is trying to get rid of one.

This is where I'm running into problems, but will be the case for pretty much any similar-sized tent. I'm 6'5 200lbs, but I'd likely only use the shelter with my wife, or potentially my buddy who is about 5'6 140. Might visit the classifieds to see if anyone is trying to get rid of one.

We would fit much better if we slept with heads at opposite ends, but I'm not sleeping next to my hunting partners feet. :)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use my Mountain Star solo or with my wife; definitely would be a little cozy with two guys, but certainly doable

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I think you really should look at the stone glacier skyscraper tent - totally agree on the robustness of hille’s and the options, and their red labels are certainly all-season. But take a look at the interior size and modularity of that skyscraper, it’s a really solid design, and you can strengthen the structure with trekking poles. Hop over on the slingfin tents blog and read up on what they have going on, it is really good info, just like hilleberg puts out there.