Any other pilots?

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
I was reading the ‘flying into the Frank’ thread and was wondering if there are any other pilots on here. I have been active in GA in the past, but really want to get back into it since I moved to NW Montana a year and a half ago. I would love to get a backcountry airplane and take advantage of some of the remote spots in Montana and Idaho for hunting and fishing. Anyone on here do this sort of thing? I’m sure there’s some Alaska residents that do, but would like to hear from some lower 48 people as well.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
Currently an aspiring pilot here. I have about 60 hours, and am getting ready to schedule my checkride here in the next few weeks. I've been flying mostly out of Lake Hood. My goal is to eventually work up to the family's Cessna 180. Speaking of which, I should probably get off Rokslide and back to studying...

Diamond K

FNG
I have been a pilot for 35 years and was actually inspired to become one after being flown into the River Of No Return Wilderness ( Frank Church) back in the early 80s. I was fortunate to be able to fly with a pilot who at one time lived in back country. He also flew fire support out of BIFC. He took me under his wing, so to speak, and taught me how to do it right. Spent a summer flying with him before I started flying my friends into the back country. Flying the back country is not for the faint of heart and should not be attempted by just any pilot without proper training. It is a skill that you continue to hone through the years. I have a Cessna 182 that is my hunting truck for back county hunts.

Geewhiz

WKR
T-4 years and I'll have my private pilots license with the ultimate goal of doing exactly what your thinking.

That's the goal at least.

In the mean time its a money saving game..

Not yet. I started my hours a couple years ago under a good friend using his plane but then he ended up moving to Bethel. My brother is a comm pilot with his CFI. He’s trying to move up but Covid is obviously messing with that plan. Once he moves up I’ll start towards mine again!

OXN939

WKR
About to finish my multi engine commercial and then do my CFI this summer. Anyone knows of good gigs near Anchorage, drop me a line.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for the short answer earlier. I fly Air Ambulance. It’s a great choice for hunters and outdoor people. The schedules are usually similar to a fire fighter’s. I work three 12hr shifts per week. I’ve been here long enough now that I work my 3 shifts together. Sun-Mon-Tues night shifts and off for 4. An extra shift makes 48 hrs = 8 hrs at overtime.

To the original question. No, I have never flown in to hunt. I like the idea though.
I don’t own a plane, so for me, it’s pretty expensive!
I’m kicking around the idea though. It would add a great element of adventure.
dbc9c1ad5a1b0197a1382f19b6d28063.jpg

0e2a96083fb65a4d7e1ade8f896aa128.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The cheapest way would be to find a buddy with a big enough plane and offer to pay for fuel IMO

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
[mention]Jordan Budd [/mention] flies around some

Tahoe1305

WKR
Sorry for the short answer earlier. I fly Air Ambulance. It’s a great choice for hunters and outdoor people. The schedules are usually similar to a fire fighter’s. I work three 12hr shifts per week. I’ve been here long enough now that I work my 3 shifts together. Sun-Mon-Tues night shifts and off for 4. An extra shift makes 48 hrs = 8 hrs at overtime.

To the original question. No, I have never flown in to hunt. I like the idea though.
I don’t own a plane, so for me, it’s pretty expensive!
I’m kicking around the idea though. It would add a great element of adventure.
dbc9c1ad5a1b0197a1382f19b6d28063.jpg

0e2a96083fb65a4d7e1ade8f896aa128.jpg

Fly same bird but for work as well. Also toying with idea when I retire in a few years how to make owning/operating with a business structure work.

Howard let’s buy an NG and make a business of flying it for hunting ! ;)

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fly same bird but for work as well. Also toying with idea when I retire in a few years how to make owning/operating with a business structure work.

Howard let’s buy an NG and make a business of flying it for hunting ! ;)

Haha! That would be awesome!
It’s the perfect plane for it.
MONSTER cargo door and 3300lb carrying capacity. Perfect.

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
ATP & military here, but haven't flown GA in many years. Don't even have an SEL on my ATP! Hoping once I retire from military to get back in it and buy a 180/182. Have several friends with 182s, one of whom flyings into Thomas Creek along MFS every year for his deer hunt.

TheCougar

WKR
Military pilot here. Getting ready to punch out at 20 and find a real job. 20 years of wearing Nomex pajamas and flying fast was fun, but I’m not sure my neck and back can keep this up. I fly with a few buddies who have bush and float planes (Bearhawk, Otter, etc).

TheCougar

WKR
ATP & military here, but haven't flown GA in many years. Don't even have an SEL on my ATP! Hoping once I retire from military to get back in it and buy a 180/182. Have several friends with 182s, one of whom flyings into Thomas Creek along MFS every year for his deer hunt.
Boise Guard?

If your not already a member you can also look into joining the AOPA as well. One of their fly in events was in my local town a few years ago and was really neat to see