Any real life comparisons between Razor LHT and VX5-HD?

I am looking to get a scope for a 6.5 CM that will be used exclusively for hunting. I have another 6.5 CM that will be used for practice.

Has anyone had an opportunity to compare the Razor LHT to the VX5-HD or other comparable scope? I was set on the VX5-HD but then the Razor HT came out.

Bater

WKR
What features are you wanting compared? I can tell you they are very close optically if you care about that. Close on $. More mounting space/options with the Razor because of the Leupold’s short tube. I wouldn’t risk one of my hunts hoping the Leupold was tracking, rtz and holding zero under recoil but that’s just me. The Razor has has been perfect so far but I’m doing my best to break it and I’ll update if I do.

The Zeiss V4 4-16x44 deserves a hard look too. Rock solid scope with repeatable turrets and good reticle options. Real close in comparison to the LHT

Last edited:

aythya

FNG
I love my new 3-15 Razor LHT. I cannot compare it to the Leupold but it's really sharp and well designed.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I only have experience with the Leupold VX5HD. I've never had any tracking or reliability problems with mine.
By the numbers, the Vortex appears to be very similar. The FOV is slightly lower for similar magnifications (approx 10% lower), and the eye relief a tad shorter. Anyone know what the eye relief is at both high and low magnification? Vortex only lists one number (Leupold lists it at high/low mag). I'm interested in the Firedot vs Razor center dot, any input? The reticle might be a bigger deciding factor.
Looks like a big difference is how the elevation turret is labeled, Vortex uses a ballistic strip and Leupold uses a custom cap. Does the elevation turret lock at zero on the Razor?
Looking at the Zeiss, the FOV is a lot lower on that scope, and the eye relief quite a bit shorter. It's also a much heavier scope.
Always fun looking at this range of scopes as it's what I primarily use.

someone just did this comparison over on the Long Range Hunting forum (not the one on Rokslide). His initial review was pretty high on the Vortex, but he has since made some comments about the optical clarity in the lower power settings. Last I read he was discussing with Vortex to see if this is the expectation or if they would replace the scope. Other reviews for the Vortex have been pretty good.

I am also in the same position as I have a new rifle in mind and I am thinking about having a scope that I can dial.

Does where they’re made make any difference to you in your decision process? Not judging at all , as I have not looked into where these two scopes are made, it’s just something that I always consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 3-15x44 Leupold with Firedot and love it. No problem tracking, but I have heard others complain about it and I have heard complaints about the Vortex reliability too. Both have excellent customer service but Sending a scope in after zeroing it and wasting ammo is not pleasant. I looked at the Zeiss 4-16 because I have 2 Zeiss Conquest 3-9 scopes and love them, but I basically hated the 4-16.

Bater

WKR
I have the 3-15x44 Leupold with Firedot and love it. No problem tracking, but I have heard others complain about it and I have heard complaints about the Vortex reliability too. Both have excellent customer service but Sending a scope in after zeroing it and wasting ammo is not pleasant. I looked at the Zeiss 4-16 because I have 2 Zeiss Conquest 3-9 scopes and love them, but I basically hated the 4-16.
What complaints have you heard about the LHT reliability?

OP
A
The two scopes are comparable in specs and cost which is why I asked if anyone had been able to compare them side by side. Both pretty much check all of my boxes for this rifle. My Leopold VX6HD has been perfect as well as my Razor LHs which does not help making a decision easier.

Do you drop a grand on a unknown (LHT) or the (potential) devil you do know (VX5HD)? Due to weight desires NF scopes are out on this particular rifle (but the NX8 is on the short list for my 6.5 PRC).

The one thing that sours me on the Vortex is prior experience with their customer service and warranty. Every time I had to fight them tooth and nail and nothing was repaired or replaced the first time (including internal lenses coming loose the first time at the range shooing a 6.5 CM).

28bang

WKR
The only thing Leupold doesn't make in the US is the glass. Big difference between that and "assembled" in the US.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

if It was just the glass, they’d be able to say made in the USA. I read about what the requirements are for made in USA and if it was just the glass the could say “made”. You’ll have to look that up.

sneaky

"DADDY"
if It was just the glass, they’d be able to say made in the USA. I read about what the requirements are for made in USA and if it was just the glass the could say “made”. You’ll have to look that up.
Leupold is pretty clear that everything in their scopes is machined, and assembled here... except for their glass. Which is imported from either Europe or Japan. I've researched it multiple times. No need to read the same things again.

28bang

WKR
Leupold is pretty clear that everything in their scopes is machined, and assembled here... except for their glass. Which is imported from either Europe or Japan. I've researched it multiple times. No need to read the same things again.

It’s lawyer language. Like I said If it was just glass they could say made in the USA

Can't speak to the Vortex, but I do own the VX5 HD and can say it works quite well for me.
Nearly a case of ammo passed under it and can still dial it out to 600yds with confidence.