Any reason to buy a guide lid if I already have a Native?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hello all,

I took advantage of the black friday sale at Kifaru to get a Tahr for when I don't need the weight or size of my fulcrum, I want to set this up for 2-3 day trips, Ill just throw on a few medium pockets but Id like a top lid for a bit more room and quick access to a few more things. Is there any reason to buy a guide lid or would you just rock the Native?

thanks!!!

I think it depends on how you like to use it and if you fill it. I sold my guide lid to get a native because I use it as a standalone day pack while fishing on my summer backpacking trips fairly often. If you primarily use it as a lid than you may prefer the guide lid. Essentially, the guide lid is a good lid that makes an okay day pack and the native is a good day pack that makes an okay lid.

Also the native needs some tweaks in my opinion. Zippered top, frame sheet, pals on the side, etc.

Also the native needs some tweaks in my opinion. Zippered top, frame sheet, pals on the side, etc.

The whole point was for it to be light enough to use as a lid. If you want a more competent daypack and don't care about weight look at the Quandary or if you want a frame sheet the Zippy. You could also just use an E&E as IMO the Native is just a lighter E&E modified for better use as a lid. A frame sheet however is quite simple to add on your own.

However, it would be nice to have attachment points on the side perfectly sized for a water bottle pocket.

Last edited:
OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think I'll just stick with the native for now, it's my go to daypack, I love it.

Rizzy

WKR
The native is too big and awkward for my uses as a lid, I use my guide lid exclusivly. I always carry my whole pack wherever I go as well so my uses may differ.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
After going back and forth, I did end up being a guide lid even though I said Id stick with my native. the guide lid is slightly lighter than the native and the whole goal here is to put together a set up thats nice and lightweight. Right now, my fulcrum with 3 pockets weighs almost 10lbs so Im just getting pieces here and there and eventually Ill get a hunting frame for my tahr which will leave me just over 6lbs for the pack. Ill probably cut the straps off the guide lid as I have no intention of using it as a day pack, Ill leave enough webbing there that I could attach those nicer shoulder straps they sell in case I change my mind later.

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Newmexican, the guide lid straps are made with 1.5" webbing and the Xray straps use 2". there will be a little play in the buckle but it is doable. Just a heads up.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Newmexican, the guide lid straps are made with 1.5" webbing and the Xray straps use 2". there will be a little play in the buckle but it is doable. Just a heads up.

Right on, thanks for letting me know. I may just bite the bullet and commit the thing to lid only and cut them all the way off, the goal is to put together a light weight sheep hunting pack while sticking with Kifaru.

dotman

WKR
I only use my guide lid if I’m hunting cold weather or need more space for a pack in hunt, it’s never on my pack while hunting if temps are above freezing. I wouldn’t want to use the native as a lid, tried that with an e&e years ago and did not like it.

For me, I use the Guide lid as a quick access to storage of puffy, rain top, or other items pertaining to that particular hunts needs I would need access to quickly.
I wouldn't want a native for this use, especially on a Tahr. The Tahr utilizes all the pals system right down where the native be anyway making them kind of useless.
You made a good choice in going with the Lid IMO.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For me, I use the Guide lid as a quick access to storage of puffy, rain top, or other items pertaining to that particular hunts needs I would need access to quickly.
I wouldn't want a native for this use, especially on a Tahr. The Tahr utilizes all the pals system right down where the native be anyway making them kind of useless.

Right on, I figure the Tahr with a guide lid and one medium pocket will be just under 5000cu so more than enough for 3-5 days out. Right now I have a 28" tactical Frame so Ill more than likely grab a 26" hunting frame next time theres some sort of sale or I find a good one on the classified ads. That should put me under 6lbs for the empty pack weight and give me plenty of access to a few layers or a snack while still carrying all my stuff and giving me the ability to comfortably (relatively) carry my sheep off the mountain.

Yep that's the versatility beauty of the Kifaru, especially the Tahr. You can take a 3500 pack and double its size to 7000. I did that with mine for a 5 day hunt. You will have to pack it right at 5000 to get 5 days out of it.
I did have a redcliffe tipi and LO stove in my though- that took up a bit of room

I used pockets every where to het it to 7000.
It was packed and looked like an AMR- the wife said, what the heck do you have in there, as it stood about 8" above my head on my 26".
lol

dotman

WKR

I always get a laugh out of the quick access idea, like it’s life or death to take an extra few seconds to get something, either way your pack is coming off your back. I used to think this way but actual use really has proven there is no huge need for quick access as really it is quick to access inside of the pack already.

dotman

WKR
Right on, I figure the Tahr with a guide lid and one medium pocket will be just under 5000cu so more than enough for 3-5 days out. Right now I have a 28" tactical Frame so Ill more than likely grab a 26" hunting frame next time theres some sort of sale or I find a good one on the classified ads. That should put me under 6lbs for the empty pack weight and give me plenty of access to a few layers or a snack while still carrying all my stuff and giving me the ability to comfortably (relatively) carry my sheep off the mountain.

The guide lid should be a good fit with the Tahr, I really wanted to pick one up in the sale but when I really thought about it my mountain warrior is the perfect layout for me and it compresses really well for day pack use and with the large pocket on the panel zip I have no need for a lid for “quick access” items 😜

Might want to consider spotting scope pockets for the side, they weigh nothing and compress to nothing but add a lot of space if needed.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For sure, Really Id probably use a 5000ci for ~3 day hunts. I do have a fulcrum if I want a huge pack for something. Right now Im just working on pairing things down to go light and fast. I have no complaints about the fulcrum but if I can save 3lbs on my pack weight for fly in hunts its worth a bit of tinkering. 3 lbs is a good bit of extra food....and scotch.