Any reason to buy a guide lid if I already have a Native?

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The guide lid should be a good fit with the Tahr, I really wanted to pick one up in the sale but when I really thought about it my mountain warrior is the perfect layout for me and it compresses really well for day pack use and with the large pocket on the panel zip I have no need for a lid for “quick access” items 😜

Might want to consider spotting scope pockets for the side, they weigh nothing and compress to nothing but add a lot of space if needed.

The mountain warrior is a sweet pack. I have the fulcrum and its awesome in that it compresses down for day hunts after packing in camp but the downside of the fulcrum is the weight. Im sort of splitting hairs but in this project to get a lighter pack for certain hunts, I want to stick with Kifaru so if I can end up with ~5k Ci for 6lbs Id be fine with that, its just so nice to be able to set up the pack any way I want. I probably will get a spotter pocket but like I said already, if I want a bunch of extra space, I do have the fulcrum still.

Lids are easily changed in seconds. I have Guide lid on one pack and a long Hunter lid on the other. For fishing trips the LH lid converts into a daypack which is handy.

Last edited:
I always get a laugh out of the quick access idea, like it’s life or death to take an extra few seconds to get something, either way your pack is coming off your back. I used to think this way but actual use really has proven there is no huge need for quick access as really it is quick to access inside of the pack already.

Maybe quick access is improper for Tim's dictionary, how about easier access, no straps, buckles or moving items around, to mess with.
lol

I run a spotter a lot up the back in my medium pouch and under the guide lid, so to get into the pack I would have to remove that spotter each time- so easier is the correct word, though quicker works for most folks too

Last edited:
I always get a laugh out of the quick access idea, like it’s life or death to take an extra few seconds to get something, either way your pack is coming off your back. I used to think this way but actual use really has proven there is no huge need for quick access as really it is quick to access inside of the pack already.
I wouldn't say life or death. Maybe clean or brown streak is a better comparison?

sr80

WKR
Is it just me, or does anyone else wish kifaru designed a new lid? I use an argali as a day pack and for big trips, Ive had a guide lid before but wasnt a fan of it. I found it way too big. And found that it totally encompassed the whole pack. Im using a Stone glaicer lid right now, but still think the MR alpine lid is the best lid going. Sorry didnt mean to hijack the thread

dotman

WKR
Maybe quick access is improper for Tim's dictionary, how about easier access, no straps, buckles or moving items around, to mess with.
lol

I run a spotter a lot up the back in my medium pouch and under the guide lid, so to get into the pack I would have to remove that spotter each time- so easier is the correct word, though quicker works for most folks too

What’s interesting with the Mountain Warrior, running a lid makes it more difficult to access items in the pack as it covers up the panel zipper that is easy to make a side zip and then the large back pocket. That’s why I only use a lid in winter for extra space for bulkier clothing.

Yep that makes sense
We all have different applications there for different opinions

One of my set ups is standard lid and grab it
Don't need a lid, as it would be a hassle

That's why I love kifaru
Its a system how I want/ need it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Is it just me, or does anyone else wish kifaru designed a new lid? I use an argali as a day pack and for big trips, Ive had a guide lid before but wasnt a fan of it. I found it way too big. And found that it totally encompassed the whole pack. Im using a Stone glaicer lid right now, but still think the MR alpine lid is the best lid going. Sorry didnt mean to hijack the thread

You might look around and try to find an old XTL lid. Sounds like it might fit your needs better.

dotman

WKR

Wish MR would sell their kids alone again, I still have the original nice lid that I use as a range bag.

bbrown

WKR
The Exo lid works great on my DT3 and MW. Just swap out the 3/4” buckles for the 1” ITW that Kifaru uses. The 1” buckles can fall off the 3/4” webbing Exo uses but it’s only happened once so it’s not that big of a deal.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
0utle