Any reviews on Mountainsmith Shelter LT? See link.

edg1967

WKR
I got one a couple weeks ago, but still have 2+ feet of snow on the ground here in MN so it may be a couple days (or a month) before I can find a place to pitch it. In the mean time my TI Goat stove jack should be here tomorrow. So, if I can find a place to set it up indoors or screwed to my deck I may be able to figure out where I am going to put that & get it sewed in. I'm still trying to decide front or back. I like the idea of it being back & away from the door, but don't like the idea of having to haul wood in across my sleeping bag, etc. I also am thinking that by having it in the front I could benefit from having the extra chimney length.

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I ordered one too, so I will do a review. I can put it to the test here in one of our hard windy Oklahoma rains. I was thinking about putting a stove jack in the front. If this thing is good, it will be great. The price is great. Wish it was green or brown though.

Last edited:
Just a thought, not sure if this is a deal breaker or not, but for 80 bucks more, you can get the Z Packs Hexamid Solo Plus...I've got one on order, I'll be sure to take pictures when I get here, but it's like 7 or 8 ounces with stakes...

http://zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml

Again, I haven't tested it out yet, it's in the mail, but it was a no brainer for me at the basic tarp cost of 215. You can of course add the bug screen, beak, and bathtub floor and double the cost, but I didn't, I'll like add a bivy to complete this setup.

edg1967

WKR
I ordered one too, so I will do a review. I can put it to the test here in one of our hard windy Oklahoma rains. I was thinking about putting a stove jack in the front. If this thing is good, it will be great. The price is great. Wish it was green or brown though.

If I didn't have a broken arm, I would dig out a spot in the yard and set it up today...we're expecting another 5-6" of heavy, wet snow this afternoon...could be a good test. I just can't function well enough with only my left arm.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Just a thought, not sure if this is a deal breaker or not, but for 80 bucks more, you can get the Z Packs Hexamid Solo Plus...I've got one on order, I'll be sure to take pictures when I get here, but it's like 7 or 8 ounces with stakes...

http://zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml

Again, I haven't tested it out yet, it's in the mail, but it was a no brainer for me at the basic tarp cost of 215. You can of course add the bug screen, beak, and bathtub floor and double the cost, but I didn't, I'll like add a bivy to complete this setup.

I got one in a couple weeks ago...it was 7.6 oz with the beak option, but no screen floor...then adding enough .4 oz stakes to guy out everything and guy lines came to 11 oz in the stuff sack...which is pretty sweet considering my other bivy shelters were right around 28 oz all up....but if you think its gonna come in at 6-7 oz with guy lines and stakes I think you'll be disappointed.

Slim Jim

WKR
I just checked them out and wow! That is light for the size. 18.3oz for the hexamid plus with everything, net, beak, groundsheet, stuff sack and stakes. I have been contemplating some other shelters but that's hard to beat.