Any runners use a hydration belt?

Ranger619

WKR
Does anyone here use a hydration belt when they run? I run a fair amount and want a way to carry a water bottle. I have to order online and need a little direction on which one. I am looking at an Amphipod High-Five. Any other recommendations?
Thanks

P Carter

WKR
Any of the Nathan belts with 2, 10-ounce small bottles. You can usually find them on sale in the $20-30 range.Two smaller bottles means less sloshing, better weight distribution, and you can only carry one if needed. I've run several trail ultras with these and have been happy. (Of course, refilling at aid stations.) The overall capacity is limited to 20 ounces, so if I don't have place to refill on 20+ mile runs I will carry a platypus soft bottle that I can roll up when done and tuck into the belt.

P Carter

WKR
I know this goes beyond the scope of your post. But as your running progresses, I think you'll find that you need less and less water. The body will adapt to needing less, which is great because it's one less thing to carry. It also translates to the hunting context, where you will find yourself drinking less. Overall, your intake will probably be the same. Just don't need it so desperately and so constantly.

I run with a Nathan's Triangle Hydration Waist Pak on my long runs (13.1 or more). It looks very similar to the High-Five. My only thoughts would be the bottles and fit. One of the reasons that I went with the Nathans is the fact that it will take pretty much any bottle in that 8-32 oz. category (Provided its tall and narrow). I do many long runs by myself and I place water out along the course before hand. That way I can just swap out bottles and stay on pace. Something to think about.
I do agree with P Carter in the fact that you will find that your body does adapt and that you won't have those parched feelings were you feel the need to drain a lake to quench your thirst. However, if you are like me, it is best to have the water and to drink on a schedule. Too many times I have pushed and ended up with headaches, cramps, and worse because of dehydration.

I use my wife's amphipod some if it is really hot, or especially long. I am fortunate that my normal route is a paved bike path with water fountains every three miles or so. I'll keep HEED or some kind of Gatoradish type drink in the bottles.

I look really cute with the pink buttback though...lol.

Typically, unless it is hot, I don't drink anyway if the run is under a half, at least i didn't when I was in shape and could actually run a reasonable pace.

I paid the price of not drinking a bit last weekend. I was at my parents(in sturgis sd) and ran a route I have run many times. I came to a point where i get on the city bike path for a quick bit back to the house, but a high school friend had cut a new mountain bike trail that came out there(legally with forest service cooperation) so i jumped on it to check it out. Added 2 to 3 miles to my run and I was dying. Not used to the lack of humidity(and actual hills) and i was hurting pretty good by the time I made it home. I was wishing for that amphipod setup. Took me most of the day to get reasonably hydrated again.

Last edited:

Brado16

WKR
How long of runs are you talking? Anything over an hour I would definalty bring water- you will need to hydrate when running more than 60 mins. For shorter runs in hot weather, any of the hand helds that can hold different types/sizes of bottles will work but I like using a Camelback Insulated 20 oz bottle to keep water cold. For longer runs a vest like the Salamon's I prefer over the belts- they just fit me better and allows for more hyrdation bottle options and pockets for Food, CC/ID and rain jacket, etc.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I use my wife's amphipod velocity plus when I do longer runs (8+), otherwise I'll throw down some fluids before I leave and chug a few glasses when I get back. It's the only hydration system I've used so I can't compare it to anything. I do not like carrying anything in my hands. Ease of access is stellar, pocket for phone and goo/snack, and it's got a very comfy pad.

If I was going to purchase one for ultra distances, I think I'd go with the kind that put the bottles on your chest.

P Carter

WKR
Good advice. For an opposing perspective regarding 60 minutes: I've found that I can go without water or food for up to 2.5 hours, in the morning when the sun is just coming up. That's after a series of ~1.5 long runs without water. I usually do all my runs without eating anything beforehand, but for over 2 hours I'll have a granola bar and banana beforehand and drink plenty of water.

Obviously, do what works for you. Just laying out my experience. I used to carry water, gels, and all sorts of other stuff. Was eating every 20 minutes after 45 minutes in and the whole deal. Then one of my running partners showed me what was possible. Very freeing to just get out there. And, in my experience, your body adapts amazingly well and it carries over to the hunting context.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I live in an area that gets smoking hot during the summer. 6+ miles over 85* I use a nathan 2 bottle belt. When I was training for a half, 10+ and I would carry the two bottle no matter the temps.

OP
R

Ranger619

WKR
I have been running up to 9 miles. I don't have any trouble under 6 miles, but this last weekend it was mid 80's and I must still have my winter coat;). It it just for those hot and humid Minnesota summer days that I will use it. Thanks for all the input.