Any Sleepers in the Merino world?

Have any of you experienced a quality merino product for tops and bottoms that is more reasonable then the high end brands that receive so much attention here?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I enjoy the SKRE merino garments and have had great durability with both the 140 and 300 wieght. There was an recent article on black ovis and mtn ops merino wool @Howard Mee. I've also read some people using Costco merino but i haven't tried it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Sam’s club has Omni Wool around the holidays and it’s pretty legit. I’ve got 7 or 8 long sleeves that I wear for training, hunting, and everything in between

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought Ice Breaker brand at CostCo or some place like that back in the day. I still have those layers somewhere. The problem I had, was that most were too thin, as in too light weight. They don’t have the warmth or the ability to move your moisture through your layering system. They saturated too easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wearing kings camo leggings this year. I have the lightweight 150s and the heavier zip offs. Both have worked well compared to my old FL layers

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Black Ovis sells their merino on Camofire pretty regularly. It’s as cheap as anything you’d find anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.woolly.clothing/
Have a lot of their stuff I use for daily wear.

How does their clothing hold up? I heard about them the other week and I'm always more interested in supporting local rather than big brands.

I am mostly interested in replacing my Kuiu and Duckworth Merino T's with Woolly's. I abuse the hell out of my Kuiu shirts in thick brush and they've held up well.

Their ultralight are comfortable as heck but not that durable. A little bit lighter than First Lite’s wick series but without the synthetic materials. Their everyday wear is a lot more durable. I wear their tee shirts under my work clothes daily for the last year and they still are holding up. I don’t do much on caring for them either. I wash on delicate then tumble dry on low. No special detergent or anything. I used to be the guy that wore white tee shirts all the time. Now I wear merino wool tees. I have First Lite and Woolly brand shirts and boxers. They are comfortable and after a hard day work you aren’t as funky smelling.
As a side note the wife likes them more because of the colors.

nitrobro2

FNG
I noticed Eastern Mountain Sports came out with some Merino late 2020, but I haven't tried it.

OP
M
Thanks for the reply's everyone! I have some research to do. I will be looking for sales and checking Camofire everyday. I want to buy two sets and I don't feel like spending $500.

OP
M
I’m thinking about a set of Smart Wool at the 250 weight and a set of First Lite, I’m thinking Kiln bottom and Furnace top. I think Furnace bottoms may be to hot for extended walking or going up anything steep.

pirogue

WKR
Icebreaker. They used to supply some different weight tops in camo to Cabela’s. Glad I got some while they did. But it’s still my favorite merino for base layers, where you don’t need camo.

z987k

WKR
Stoic merino when it's 50% off.(not everything they make is merino or sometimes it's a blend, so watch the material it's made with) It's the backcountry.com "store" brand and it's less than all the patagucci brands mentioned above to begin with and a LOT less when it's half off.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve tried many of the high ends brands and still have several items. But after trying them and Patagonia, Smartwool, icebreaker and others, I found that LLBeans midweight 100% merino works best for me. It is supremely soft snd doesn’t itch. After three seasons and use skiing, it hasn’t lost shape, has not been pilling and shows no holes. It fits great in long sizing (I’m a bit tall) and the cuffs haven’t stretched. Pricing was substantially less than the others snd has a great warranty. It helps that it dries very quickly. I put a fleece on top of the merino baselayers (zip shirt and fleece pants if it’s extremely cold) and that draws out the moisture even faster. I swear by it.

ive also added in the 400g merino too and bottoms from Woolx on sale at Amazon. Great stuff. Wish they’d make a tall size as it’s a bit short but works well.