Any Swamp Hunters Here...

Loper

WKR
Saw this got posted as I was typing my last response. The Jan. Hunt is a lot of fun too. I’ve had my best luck along the beach, but haven’t done too bad on the interior either.

For the ML hunt I wouldn’t pass anything legal. Those deer know they can wait out that hunt and really shut down after the first day.

Thanks! I’m going to reach out via PM as I’d love to learn more. Don’t want to hikack this thread.

BDRam16

WKR
We call them swamp donkeys up here in the midwest where I'm from lol. The buck in my user photo was shot from the same spot but he didn't go down in the water like this doe did. I wear waders and go through like 3-4' deep water to get to my stand and I'm set up on a island of dry land that they use to funnel through the property. The water was way lower than normal last season and the deer corridors were so much different with all the extra dry land.

Attachments

• IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1740.jpg
    IMG_1740.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 27
Here are two I killed in Calhoun County, Alabama. I love swamps, beaver ponds, and cutovers!!

Last edited:

Kilboars

WKR
I’ll be hunting the island this January for the whitetail muzzleloader weekend. I’m really looking forward to it, and am trying to learn as much as I can about it as o haven’t hunted the island before.

I’ve seen a lot of YouTube videos on guys hunting the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLS

WKR
You north Florida guys ever go to Saint Vincent Island and hunt those sambar deer?

I hunted over on the east side of the state. Still go back and hunt with a buddy that owns a big tract on the Suwannee every year.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Bringing back a lot of memories with this thread. Growing up hunting in FL and as a guest on a lease in SC, I spent a lot of time in the swamps. Miss the experience!

Mad respect for you swamp warriors….. up here in Northern PA, cold beaver marshes up here, lots of dense dark hemlock bottoms and steep high oak ridges with a ring of mountain laurel around them. Hunting is a discipline.

Reactions: pk_
While I spend the majority of my time hunting deer in the hills and mountains of NW NC, I do travel down to the eastern part of my state every year and chase swamp bucks along the Roanoke River. It’s fun hunting. Lots of deer, lots of snakes and mosquitos. Usually kill a decent buck every year.

I prefer to steer clear of swamps but some day I’m gonna grab me a swamp donkey!

OXN939

WKR
I never even knew bucks like this existed til I started swamp hunting in coastal VA. Same swamps that the Algonquin used to launch attacks and kick some English ass early on and that Lee used during the peninsula campaign. Pretty inhospitable places that most people would never set foot in... which is just what my dude was looking for.

Attachments

• 20191103_165819.jpg
    20191103_165819.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 25

naternate

FNG
Its the only place deer can get some size on public in my area. My motto has been if my boots aren’t wet or muddy I am in the wrong spot. Every year I decide to try some sits in thick areas of the woods. I am an extremely slow learner…..

Benzy2

FNG
The area I hunt has a lot of swamp. Not quite the extreme seen in some pics here but also boot high water when it isn’t frozen. Love using the water and weeds as a barrier. Either sit up on a tree on the edge of the wind is blowing into the swamp or setup 20 yards off of the wind is blowing into the woods. The older ones seem to funnel are kind the edge, the young ones don’t care and walk anywhere.