Any thoughts on living near Ketchum, ID?

I am probably the only one on here, bummed about the boulder whiteclouds wilderness. I rode my mountain bike thru antz basin in 2009 just to be able to do it before the wilderness designation came in.

stanley is cold country, sun valley is rich country. If you can deal with both, you would love it there. if you like mountain biking, this is as close to mecca as you can get.

Mtnboy

WKR
As far as schools just know that your kids would be going to school with and hanging around a high percentage of kids that come from very well off families, drive nice cars, lots of money to blow, maybe a tad 'entitled'.... etc. etc. Not exactly your "average high school" experience.

Just food for thought.

Amazing area in general though if you can deal with the quirks and cost of living.

OP
B

bluumoon

WKR
More hunting than you can imagine. If you include bow hunting, could hunt otc deer/elk August 1-Dec 31

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess I can sell that to my wife as I'll have more flexibility in my hunting dates. Had a chance to look up a few of the regs today, you guys have a fantastic amount of options.

OP
B

bluumoon

WKR
Durango is loaded with the well to do and uber athletic kids. Our kiddo will probably have to get by on his wits no matter where he grows up.

Went to Sun Valley two years ago for a NECA Conference and I loved it. Ketchum was cool. I actually looked at moving up there but the housing prices were just to unrealistic for me.

HookUp

WKR
Aspen of Idaho. Nice town and animals there if you put in the boot rubber.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Once they open up that tent city it'll feel just like SF

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
The park is extremely small maybe 1/4 acre at most, with homes/condos bordering it who's residents would recall the mayor should this happen.
I think this "tent city" was said in jest due to the proposed affordable housing project in town getting no support from a majority of residents.
There is affordable housing south of Ketchum but people don't want to drive.
Just about every town that has experienced our rate of growth in the last few years has the same problem, don't know why this is generating any attention when there are currently tens of thousands of people living in tents in many major cities and nobody cares.
Our valley also has been flooded with non documented workers that has driven wages back 20yrs also adding to inability for service workers to afford housing.

IdahoElk

WKR
Agreed. Could've been an article from the onion. They want EMS/fire, police, and teachers? Let them live in tents!
Those positions are being payed well enough to afford homes here, just not at the base of the ski mountain next to Tom Hanks,Clint Eastwood or Arnold Schwarzenegger, for some reason waiters and Baristas feel they should be able to roll out of bed and walk to the lift line on a powder day.
This news story is a gross embellishment of what is really going on here.