Any thoughts on Weatherby Mark V Backcountry Rifles

I’m real interested in these rifles. The weight is really nice for a back country set up and the Weatherby reputation is solid. I’ve never had any personal experience with any Weatherby products, but I own and shoot and hunt with Tikka‘s and Kimber Montanas.

1. Anybody have real world experience with accuracy on these?
2. Ti model difference in price really worth it? 3k vs. $2300ish.
3. Any comparison to Kimber lightweight stuff?

Thanks for any input. I’m also open to other suggestions and I’ve got about a $2500 budget, currently. I’m just intrigued by the Weatherby name and brand and story and would like to add something from that company to the gun safe. And I will use it a lot.

I was considering a Backcountry in the 6.5 RPM caliber but once I got my hands on one I pumped the brakes. 4.9 is LIGHT, but I just didn’t love the feel of it. I ended up ordering the Mark V Weathermark LT. It’s still only 5.9lbs, but also half the cost of the Backcountry Ti. It also has the more traditional looking Weatherby stock with the cheek comb that I like. I don’t think you’d go wrong either way, but for me I opted for the Weathermark as I figured I could get it and a nice scope outfitted for less than the Ti costs. I’ve also heard that the Wyoming produced rifles are tac drivers. I’m definitely anxious to get mine.

gelton

WKR
I just have the normal backcountry (non-Mark V) and like it...shoots .75 MOA with the right handloads. If you are considering a magnum a lb here or there may prove to be helpful, my .300 kicks like a mule.

amassi

WKR
You'll get a better action, magazine, stock and trigger than your kimber. They're sub moa rifles
If I were in the market I'd get the non ti backcountry in 280ai or 6.5 rpm and save that couple ounce difference elsewhere

I went with a weathermark lt from the custom shop in 6.5 rpm mostly for the stock. Its 5# 4.8 oz without the break. Shoots sub moa and recoil is very tolerable

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
There was a thread on Long Range Hunting where a guy had a Backcountry ti and a non-ti and he was looking for stock recommendations because both of his factory stocks cracked. Might check it out.

Mubs

FNG
You'll get a better action, magazine, stock and trigger than your kimber. They're sub moa rifles
If I were in the market I'd get the non ti backcountry in 280ai or 6.5 rpm and save that couple ounce difference elsewhere

I went with a weathermark lt from the custom shop in 6.5 rpm mostly for the stock. Its 5# 4.8 oz without the break. Shoots sub moa and recoil is very tolerable

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I’ve only borrowed a friends non-Ti Backcountry but it shoots very similar to my 280ai Kimber MA which I love and have had no problems with. Both seem like great choices although I do prefer the 280ai over 6.5RPM

gelton

WKR
There was a thread on Long Range Hunting where a guy had a Backcountry ti and a non-ti and he was looking for stock recommendations because both of his factory stocks cracked. Might check it out.
I will second this...cant speak for the Mark V but the backcountry uses Bell & Carlson and I dont think they are designed to be used with a bipod that connects to the front sling stud.

I used one and cracked my stock and Weatherby replaced it no questions asked...I do plan on going back to a bipod but I plan on installing a rail with two connection points to prevent that from happening again.

MT257

WKR
Had on kimber. Won’t buy another. I’ve had good lucky with all of my weatherby rifles. Heck their customer service is 100 times better than kimber’s too.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Had on kimber. Won’t buy another. I’ve had good lucky with all of my weatherby rifles. Heck their customer service is 100 times better than kimber’s too.

I’ve never needed customer service from Kimber. Nothing but good experiences for me personally. I’d buy another without hesitation. Love the kimbers.

MT257

WKR
I’ve never needed customer service from Kimber. Nothing but good experiences for me personally. I’d buy another without hesitation. Love the kimbers.
Had one that they claimed was a hunting rifle and was moa. Spent lots of time and money at the range and reloading bench sent it back to them with all the targets and what not to show that the barrel needed to be replaced . Their answer was that I needed to shoot match bullets for it to shoot moa.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Had one that they claimed was a hunting rifle and was moa. Spent lots of time and money at the range and reloading bench sent it back to them with all the targets and what not to show that the barrel needed to be replaced . Their answer was that I needed to shoot match bullets for it to shoot moa.

Sorry that happened, I’d be pissed too. I have 3 kimbers at the moment and I’ve had half a dozen that I’ve traded or sold to fund other projects over the years. I also know tons of people who have them and I’ve never had that sort of a problem. The barrels did get better after 2015 apparently.

MT257

WKR
Sorry that happened, I’d be pissed too. I have 3 kimbers at the moment and I’ve had half a dozen that I’ve traded or sold to fund other projects over the years. I also know tons of people who have them and I’ve never had that sort of a problem. The barrels did get better after 2015 apparently.
Just luck of the draw I guess with their barrels. I honestly will say if your looking for best factory out of box shooting rifle it’s a tikka.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just luck of the draw I guess with their barrels. I honestly will say if your looking for best factory out of box shooting rifle it’s a tikka.
I have a few Tikkas, I havn't really warmed up to them and they get shot less than other guns I have, no knock on Tikka, they just don't do a lot for me. I have a superlite in 6.5 creedmoor and a lite 270 both stainless.

MT257

WKR
I have had a Good number of them and all after finding a load seemed to have three shot groups covered by dimes. But that can also be the same statement for my vanguards and mark v rifles.