Any tips on wyoming pronghorn for next yer

Bobbyboe

WKR
No OTC units. Go to the Wy fish and game website and do some research. You'll find all the information you need there. Look at units you can draw with 0 points.

JWP58

WKR
Same as others, no otc even for residents when it comes to antelope. I suggest reviewing the draw odds WY G&F puts out and deciding what you want. Access vs odds.

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
Good intel- looking to do a public land hunt next year as I'm tired of "paying to play" the guide route.

I would look for a few units and I think you can apply with 3 choices. Put a high draw probability (i.e. likely much less antelope than the low draw probability) unit and put that as your 3rd choice. I live in unit 84 and it's not a terrific antelope unit, but with a rifle you can bag one in 2 hours...or you can hunt for a week and wait for a good size one. Loads of great units to hunt, and even the not so great ones are super fun!

Powerx4

FNG
If you go late n the season most of the antelope hang on the private ground

wytx

WKR
Not always, some areas are wintering areas and pronghorn pile in with good snow.
You have a chance to draw a random tag, not good odds but a chance.

bmf0713

WKR
Buy a preference point before the end of the month. Dont get a guide. I wouldve been disappointed if i would have gotten a guide the first time out. You have a lot of time to research your hunt, the Wyoming G&F website is your friend. Hunt opening day, dont wait til the "weekend warriors" leave, most will be tagged out and antelope move to private land pretty quick.

Buy a preference point before the end of the month. Dont get a guide. I wouldve been disappointed if i would have gotten a guide the first time out. You have a lot of time to research your hunt, the Wyoming G&F website is your friend. Hunt opening day, dont wait til the "weekend warriors" leave, most will be tagged out and antelope move to private land pretty quick.

Opening day of rifle sucked this year for me. Dudes in trucks just chasing them all over. Every antelope we saw was moving full speed across a ridge and would spook super easily at 700+ yards. A couple of days later we almost walked up to them and took two bucks in about 4 hours from 85 yards and 95 yards!

I think opening day is a good call, but find somewhere others won't easily get into. Look for spots with lots of finger ridges, in my (very) limited experience the spot and stalk works wonders when there is a ridge to hide behind. An antelope spot and stalk has to be one of the most fun hunts. I still have a doe/fawn tag and can't wait to try another spot and stalk on one.

bmf0713

WKR
Opening day of rifle sucked this year for me. Dudes in trucks just chasing them all over. Every antelope we saw was moving full speed across a ridge and would spook super easily at 700+ yards. A couple of days later we almost walked up to them and took two bucks in about 4 hours from 85 yards and 95 yards!

I think opening day is a good call, but find somewhere others won't easily get into. Look for spots with lots of finger ridges, in my (very) limited experience the spot and stalk works wonders when there is a ridge to hide behind. An antelope spot and stalk has to be one of the most fun hunts. I still have a doe/fawn tag and can't wait to try another spot and stalk on one.
Last year was kinda like that for us. We just played off the other hunters and used fences and ridges to our advantage. The area we hunt seems like after the 3rd day we cant find anything on public. They all just smile and give us the finger a couple hundred yards into private. That's why i say hunt opening day. never hunted after the 5th day so I couldnt tell you what they do after that. We've always tagged out by then.

The spot I shot mine on was a mix of public and private. I saw him on public, but it was blocked by private from the road. So I had to find a small access point along the road to park, follow the public land around the private and shoot from public to public. I'm sure every zone is different too. Next year I'm not going out on opening day for rifle (hopefully I'll be tagged out during archery) but I'll head out the first weekday after opening day!

Be prepared for any weather...opening day it was 29 and 2" of snow changed to rain in the afternoon and by Thursday it was 60 again.
Good Luck!

archp625

WKR
I'm with the others buy a point this year for WY. You have until Oct 31st. Once you get a point start researching units that you can draw with 1 pt. You may want to but a Special tag to give you more options. Once you know the units you can draw don't even look at the others.

Look at how much public land there is in each unit and pick the unit that suits your needs.

I just got back from WY chasing goats. If you need any help or have questions pm me. I will help you as much as I can.