Any tips or tricks hunting High Desert?

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys how’s it going? Been awhile since I have been on here and in general even thinking about hunting. Kinda weird last year after harvesting my first animal I kinda fell away from it a bit. Now I’m feeling it again and longing for the adventure. I live in Southern CA in Big Bear, looking for anyone who might know how to approach hunting the High desert. I hunt the San G wilderness usually with my AO tag but this year might head to Mojave National and try my first desert hunt. Any knowledge on how to approach desert mulies would help, even how to hike the desert in CA heat. Thanks guys! I appreciate any feedback -Will

I LOVE hunting desert country for mule deer. Here in Washington (plenty of desert country) I try to glass from a high point at first light and last light for animals moving about from water to bedding areas or out feeding. During the day I'll move from one gassing spot to another looking for bedded deer in pockets of brush/sage or in shaded areas against cut banks. There tends to be fewer hunters, but the potential for bigger bucks. Good luck!

I am with couesbitten, I love desert mulies with a bow. I lived and hunted northern NV. a good many years. As stated above this is the best tactic for them sit and glass. Watch were they bed let them sack out, take lots of time then plan an approach route and sneak up on them from behind That works pretty well, if they bed in a place that you can get into. If not plan to get as close as possible and wait them out when they move out. Look under rock over hangs even around boulders. (ask me how I know) You will be surprised how they can disappear . They will travel each day a great distance to feed & water. I found them traveling a long distance in a dry deep wash across a valley floor to pop out near one irrigated field everyevening.

Last edited:
OP
1woolie89

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply’s guys! Definitely taking the advice and will apply it this season as soon as I can!