Any traditions you wish you could change???

Yes growing up in Wisc @ deer camp in Nov, we had the tradition that the 1st person to return to camp, had to do fire watch. The 2nd had to do dishes (no running water), the 3rd had to cook. So me at 16 years old would simply go out, hunt, take naps, wake up at way dark thirty and try to find my way home thru the Wisc North woods. Keep in mind this was in the 70's. Not as many humans just a few logging roads. I got lost one time and didn't get home til around 11:30 PM.
:)

WCB

WKR
I forgot about the thank you cards! The wife and I got married in the middle of a move and building a new home. When we finally starting going through boxes that weren't needed at the time of moving in, we realized we had forgotten to send thank you cards for the wedding! It had been well over a year before we realized it so I dodged a bullet there.

I try to dodge the bullet almost every holiday or special event. My wife loves that kind of stuff. I usually get told to go away after about 10 min of putting stamps and labels on. Apparently "thank you" is not the correct response for her asking "what should I write to (insert name) in this thank you card".

Billinsd

WKR
I'd like to move the families Birthdays including mine from the fall during hunting season to the summer.

KHNC

WKR
I've never been to a funeral like that, and pretty much all of the ones I've been to were Christians. At my dad's funeral five years ago, my uncle (dad's brother......a Baptist preacher) did the eulogy and he had the crowd in hysterical laughter for an hour. There's nothing to be sad or somber about when you KNOW the person is already with the Lord in Heaven when they die.

As for weddings, one of my buddies from college got married back in 1993. His wife's dad told them that they could choose between the fancy wedding or a check for what the wedding would cost for a down payment on their house. She chose the $40k wedding. He wasn't very happy. Their new 3000sf+ home in Highland's Ranch cost them $100k at that time.
Is he still married to her?

SonnyDay

WKR
The Valentine's Day wedding is indeed genius! Luckily for me, I married a woman who is just as disgusted by Valentine's Day as I am...

I've never been a big fan of giving/receiving gifts on holidays or birthdays, and I absolutely hate it when people expect to receive something! I do enjoy giving gifts to my young children (2 & 5) because of the enjoyment they get out of it, but they always want more and my wife/grandparents already spoil them. I know a few people in their late 20s and 30s that still expect stuff from their parents, and they get upset if they don't get what they want.

Yeah, I agree. Even with my 7-year-old, I’ve gotten in the habit of buying him “functional” things, like tools, knives, and hunting gear, like his new muck boots. He loves that shit and it’s often something I can “borrow” if I need it. The Easter Bunny got him a bitchin’ pry bar this year, which was on his birthday wishlist. It’s a good supplement to the other styles of pry bars and nail pullers I already have laying around the shop. I have no patience for cheap, plastic toys that were made in a Chinese factory and will probably end up in the ocean someday anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Beck

WKR
The ham VS turkey.... I do not enjoy turkey very much! I'm always pushing for ham on Thanksgiving.

Giving gifts to adults! Pointless! Unless it's my Dad, my sis, and I. We love to read, so we put together a book wishlist, and buy one for each other. But other than that I do not like buying someone or getting some stupid whatever that I'll probably throw away.

Squamch

WKR
Valentine's day - dumb, wife and I agree. This past year we gave each other a Vday fist bump.
Attending children's birthdays - once a kid gets to be 5+, drop yours off and leave. When mine have parties, kids only. Adding in adult food and beverage adds up quickly.
Obligatory anything getogethers - the older I get, the less inclined I am to go just "because." My time is valuable, not wasting it on nonsense.

We also skip valentines day, and bring our own beer to kid's birthday parties.

Oh, kid's birthday parties where the parents don't bring beer. These people are having a dozen extra children in their house, the least you can do is bring a case of beer to share with them.

elkyinzer

WKR
I drove a Jeep for 8 years and recently got rid of it. But I thought the Jeep wave was the dumbest fricken thing ever. I reciprocated because I'm not an a-hole but never initiated.

Zbot

WKR
Weddings. Most pointless waste of money that females have dreamed about since childhood.

This....my wife and I spent about $2500 on ours 10 years ago and are still happily living ever after. As a lower ranked Airman, I thought I was splurging 😂

We know people who got married before us who are still paying it off as divorcées.

But yet people talked about how cheap we were because we didn’t have a destination wedding or booked a venue. People thought we were crazy for not using the “planners” they’d suggest.