Any truck drivers here?

I went and looked at a national carrier's website the other day to see if they actually said what they're paying.

I've looked at a couple others also.

To apply they want you to put your social security number on a web form.

That probably fends of 98% of the applicants right there.

Yeah but there's a majority of carriers at are local companies that you apply in person to or even major ones that have local offices that can be applied to in person and those places are all having the same hiring issues.....just a complete lack of qualified candidates for the job at hand.

tntrker

WKR
I'm the West Coast Coordinator for a company in SC. This has been going on for over a year now if not longer. The ports in the Los Angeles had caused this back up initially on purpose to keep their operations from changing to an "automated system". Then Covid hit and added to it. NOW it's hard to find safe drivers. A POS is easy to hire but no one can afford to put any of those behind the wheel. I used to could get a load back from CA to SC for $3,400 1 1/2 yrs ago. That same load is now demanding $8,500 to be brought back. That cost has to be included in whatever merchandise is in the container. At any given time, there are 100's of containers sitting that just cannot not afford to pay that price to move so they are sitting, causing even more backups, incurring more charges by the port and warehouses until they can get it moved by rail for cheaper but the rail is also backed up now as well for that same reason. The West Coast was causing such delays, before things got bad over a year ago, companies were paying extra to ship to the East Coast to avoid the LA area BS. That backed the East Coast up. So this is nothing new except we went from 20-40 ships at any given moment on the West Coast waiting to dock to 100+ now AND a backlog on the East coast as well. I've been saying for a year now we are going to be hurting soon. It's just taken longer than I thought....

Whisky

WKR
I think the driver shortage is mainly an age gap thing. Lots of guys retiring, and not enough replacements. I really noticed this starting back in 2017/18 when the ELDs (electronic logs) became mandated. Lots of older guys hung it up then because they didn't want to mess with ELDs, and we haven't caught up since.

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
How old do most companies require you to be to start driving? I’ve been driving big trucks and trailers on the farm since I was a kid and this year I hauled a good amount of hay with the semi. So I’ve got some experience with driving big trucks. At 70 something grand a year that wouldn’t be a bad way to pay for college or trades school after I graduate…… just not sure on how old I’d have to be

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
How old do most companies require you to be to start driving? I’ve been driving big trucks and trailers on the farm since I was a kid and this year I hauled a good amount of hay with the semi. So I’ve got some experience with driving big trucks. At 70 something grand a year that wouldn’t be a bad way to pay for college or trades school after I graduate…… just not sure on how old I’d have to be
Intrastate is 18. Interstate is 21.

Eddie

Oregonboy

WKR
I'm a logistics coordinator and freight is a mess right now. There's a lot of freight available and not enough drivers to haul it, which is making prices go up, Rates are up 20%-50% higher since last year depending on the route. It's a good market for drivers right now.

Wow! That blows my mind. I had always thought of truck driving as a fairly stable and decent waged job. Am I wrong in that assessment or is it the general millennial laziness killing everything? Ps- technically I’m a millennial and I think this is ludicrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive worked in HR for 15 years and with every age generation. Every age generation has their 20% share of worthless whiny lazy people who complain about the other generations being worthless whiny and lazy.

If you got $890 a week unemployment and couldnt find a job that paid the same or more, would you go back to work?

this is a lot of peoples situation. They had a shit paying job, governement paid them more to be without work, now they wont work another shit paying job.

Unemployment requires you job search but you dont have to take a job that pays less than your unemployment. This applies to a food server and to a director of some office suite.

I went and looked at a national carrier's website the other day to see if they actually said what they're paying.

I've looked at a couple others also.

To apply they want you to put your social security number on a web form.

That probably fends of 98% of the applicants right there.
You should never have to put your social security on an application. They are violating discrimination laws actually. What Idiots.

Jbehredt

WKR
Exactly....literally thousands apon thousands of job opportunities and employers can't even get people to apply...quite frankly they need to cut them off of unemployment and require all able bodied people currently on welfare to get at least a part time job to qualify for benefits.....and see how fast stuff turns around.

Not gonna happen. Working hard and paying taxes might turn them into conservatives.

OP
O
Ive worked in HR for 15 years and with every age generation. Every age generation has their 20% share of worthless whiny lazy people who complain about the other generations being worthless whiny and lazy.

If you got $890 a week unemployment and couldnt find a job that paid the same or more, would you go back to work?

this is a lot of peoples situation. They had a shit paying job, governement paid them more to be without work, now they wont work another shit paying job.

Unemployment requires you job search but you dont have to take a job that pays less than your unemployment. This applies to a food server and to a director of some office suite.

A local food business owner told me that a $14 per hour waiting job has turned into a $24 an hour job because of the lack of workers. This is in Western WA. There literally aren’t people to work these jobs so the demand for them has gone through the roof. I am frankly surprised to find that it has made its way to the trucking industry. I guess it all kind of makes sense though. Seeing how many countless thousands can find the time to lob Molotovs, loot stores and unceasingly riot, the pieces more or less fit. I’ve always wondered what these people do for work. I guess that was a dumb question.

A local food business owner told me that a $14 per hour waiting job has turned into a $24 an hour job because of the lack of workers. This is in Western WA. There literally aren’t people to work these jobs so the demand for them has gone through the roof. I am frankly surprised to find that it has made its way to the trucking industry. I guess it all kind of makes sense though. Seeing how many countless thousands can find the time to lob Molotovs, loot stores and unceasingly riot, the pieces more or less fit. I’ve always wondered what these people do for work. I guess that was a dumb question.

Oh wow thats crazy!

I think its all across the board. I'm an IT Recruiter and have been for 18 years. It's an absolute waste of time trying to hire someone nowadays. People flaking non stop on interviews and job offers. The positions I work on are high level IT jobs, well over 6 figures that require degrees too. People suck.

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider

In SW PA here and I’m seeing McDonald’s advertising pay at $20/hour plus sign on bonus! MCDONALDS!!!

Brooks

WKR
I drove trucks for many years and the trucking industry is screwed up !! Today a driver is no more than meat in the seat. Company drivers are controlled by their driver manager who tells the driver who hasn’t been home in 4 weeks that the load has To go and you’re the only driver in the area, you have to take it…..so you’re on the road for 2 or 3 more weeks and your driver manager goes home at 4pm.
There are sooooo many 3rd world drivers today in America that don’t have a clue about trucking and speak very little English it’s crazy.
I know a 25 year old kid that went to work for a big trucking Co, he went through their cdl training got his cdl then drove with a trainer for 2 months, then he was offered the job of trainer……what a joke, they wanted him to train drivers when he didn’t know what he was doing….

He had never been to the crazy, congested, high speed north east NYC, Philly, Boston etc. and he had never driven in snow…..Get an education and leave trucking to all the immigrants coming here to drive trucks……