Any TX spot and stalk?

Anyone hunt Texas regularly and use spot and stalk?

If so, where do you normally hunt? How's your success? Are there feeders on the property?

jspradley

WKR
I've still hunted through the nearby National Forests and gotten within compound range of whitetails... unfortunately I was carrying a stickbow so my success rate is zero. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
R
I've still hunted through the nearby National Forests and gotten within compound range of whitetails... unfortunately I was carrying a stickbow so my success rate is zero. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We have about 5000acres leased on the Pecos River, SW of Ozona. We have some flats up top that drop off down to the river bottom and have about 2.5miles of river. I've hiked through all those canyons and have been in (stick)bow range of a few WT, but have always been carrying my rifle, and passed on them. The WT out there are more like Coues, I'd say. They're about the size of a Great Dane and antlers are not impressive at all. BUT, it's a target rich environment.

I was feeder hunting with my compound once, from a tripod, and saw a group of aoudad up the canyon and went after them. I started in the bottom and they were about 3/4 of the way up the side and about 500yds off. I got within 62yds of about a 26" ram and shot; I clipped an over-hanging branch and it sailed about 10" over his back. Then ended up finding him 2 weeks later in the same canyon and taking him with a rifle.

Anvil69

WKR
Central Texas hill county. I have two clients I shoe for who let me hunt deer and hogs. One place is about 1300 acres and pretty open as they stay on the cedar. Usually no feeders unless grandson wants to hunt then I can only take does. But hey it’s free! I rifle hunt here and it’s pretty easy to get in range, good success here. Other place is thick brush and I usually still hunt or hunt over a feeder, rifle and bow. Taken a few deer and a bunch of hogs

I hunt my family land in North Texas and take around 5 deer a year "spot and stalk." We have feeders and people have success with those, but I've found it easier and more fun to walk them up. I tried for a few years with a bow and made it happen a couple times, but I've pretty much quit bow hunting now.