Any Veterinarians that can help?

Gobbler36

WKR
So last year I had a GSP suddenly pass away at a kennel While I was out of town, well I’m back in the saddle of raising another GSP pup and after the last incident want to make sure I don’t miss anything. So the last one I was told by the trainer she pretty much dropped dead while running (thinking something to do with heart). so looking at research I see that grain free food has some potential for heart things. wondering if any of you can offer any insight into this from experience? I tend to not listen or care very much to mainstream news but this one had my attention a little

Attachments

• 5C72067F-1658-4F90-99BA-D40DB77FB398.jpeg
    5C72067F-1658-4F90-99BA-D40DB77FB398.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 64

TSAMP

WKR
I think you'll find more info on a forum like versatiledogs.com. I personally have read through several discussions on food on there.
I recall reading your original post and im excited for you and your new pup.

Rob5589

WKR
I did a bunch of research before getting our recent pup, had been some years since our last one. Grain free was no longer recommended and some research found it harmful. Purina Pro Plan was recommended several times on various platforms so that's what we use. It is also recommended by our vet. He's doing well on it, plenty of energy (too much), great coat, great body composition, great poops.

KurtR

WKR
my new puppy has a funny stomach and we tried eukanuba witch alot of trainers used and no he is on science diet for large breed puppy which my wife got while i was gone and not the happiest about but he is doing really well. When i switch to adult i think i am going to try kinetic which is what the guy i train with uses and if that is a no go then proplan and if that does not work will use science diet. Grain free from the vets i have talked to is not good unless your dog has some allergy to food

I had a dog that was fortunately misdiagnosed. Pretty good scare for a little while. Dilated Cardiomyopathy is generally a genetic condition, but some dog foods are linked to a higher than normal rate of it.

I'm no vet, have one in the family. Just passing on some info I remember reading while I was trying to understand it. I'm a fan of Purina pro plan. Mine gets the 20/30 sport.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
To me it just makes sense to have a meat based diet for a canine as that is what they would naturally source out of they were on there on and I do grind up all my trim for her As a ”supplement“ but I hate these things like this there 6 that say one thing and a half dozen that argue against the other. so where does the truth sit at ya know

Anozira

WKR
I have a 6 year old lab that went on raw diet after about a year of puppy food. This is the 3rd lab i've raised but the first one on "raw". She always has high quality kibble available to her as a suppliment but rarely eats from it. It takes some planning and scanning supermarket ads to see when things are going on sale to stock up. I'm not sure I would ever go back to a 100% kibble diet.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
What exactly is "raw diet". Where can it be found and how costly?

Anozira

WKR
I found it means alot of different things to different people. For us, our dog primarily eats raw chicken with other various meats and vegetable as substitution. People freak out at first when they hear raw chicken/meat but its no different than what a wild coyote, bobcats, wolves, etc eats.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
I found it means alot of different things to different people. For us, our dog primarily eats raw chicken with other various meats and vegetable as substitution. People freak out at first when they hear raw chicken/meat but its no different than what a wild coyote, bobcats, wolves, etc eats.
This to me makes the most sense, same as a carnivore diet for a person but it’s not convenient and can be way more costly as it is with most healthier things in our ass backward society

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Don't go grain free. Grain free could have a lot of negative consequences. Obviously as you've found out, it really depends who you ask or where you see the info as to just how bad/good it could be. Go with a high quality dry food food and don't look back.

Canines were never meant to eat corn or soy. Do the research on how to feed Raw. It’s the best/most natural diet you can feed your dog. You can make your own or there are delivery services that will bring it to you.
If you want to feed dry kibble, take a look at Dog Food Advisor. It’s a non-biased rating system for dry food. Pick a dry food with atleast 4 stars.

I’m sure some will disagree, but stay away from Science Diet. A quick Google will give you endless reasons why. That stuff is garbage pushed by Vets.

Other than Raw, I’ve always fed Victor Professional (teal bag) and 4Health from TSC. Both have top ratings on Dog Food Advisor.

def90

WKR
So last year I had a GSP suddenly pass away at a kennel While I was out of town, well I’m back in the saddle of raising another GSP pup and after the last incident want to make sure I don’t miss anything. So the last one I was told by the trainer she pretty much dropped dead while running (thinking something to do with heart). so looking at research I see that grain free food has some potential for heart things. wondering if any of you can offer any insight into this from experience? I tend to not listen or care very much to mainstream news but this one had my attention a little
Maybe you just had a pup with a bad ticker, it happens, without MRIs and full medical exams you would never know.

As far as grain free or whatever goes, dogs in general are scavengers just like wolves and coyotes are. Sure they will take down game but they will also eat whatever is available and easy calories. Coyotes have been seen eating apples off trees among other things. Heavily processed foods probably aren't a good thing as is readily seen amongst humans.

KurtR

WKR
Canines were never meant to eat corn or soy. Do the research on how to feed Raw. It’s the best/most natural diet you can feed your dog. You can make your own or there are delivery services that will bring it to you.
If you want to feed dry kibble, take a look at Dog Food Advisor. It’s a non-biased rating system for dry food. Pick a dry food with atleast 4 stars.

I’m sure some will disagree, but stay away from Science Diet. A quick Google will give you endless reasons why. That stuff is garbage pushed by Vets.

Other than Raw, I’ve always fed Victor Professional (teal bag) and 4Health from TSC. Both have top ratings on Dog Food Advisor.
Science diet large breed puppy gets 4.5 stars on dog food advisor. It was re formulated a bit ago I guess .

Science diet large breed puppy gets 4.5 stars on dog food advisor. It was re formulated a bit ago I guess .
Seems it must have been. In years past, they didn’t even get mentioned on DFA. I still couldn’t feed it. I’ve seen first hand and read way too many horrible things on it.

Michael54

WKR
I feed victor professional purple bag and add in some of last years browned ground deer burger occasionally.