Any Western Elk Guides Out There

I’m trying to just gain as much information as possible as to what you western elk guides look for when hiring someone with no guiding experience.

I got out of the Army after 7 years as a Tanker and went immediately into Federal Corrections. I have been there over a year but absolutely hate the direction my life is going. Law Enforcement is alright but it is definitely not where I want to be for the rest of my days.

I may have an opportunity one of these days to go help an elk outfitter for a few months and I just want to knock it out of the park. I have 0 guiding or even packing with horses experience. Army and Law Enforcement is all I know on top of hunting my whole life.

Any advice is appreciated.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your service first and foremost! Lots of guides and outfitters are here on the forums, so hopefully they send you some PMs with the info you are trying to obtain, but obviously, your best experience is boots on the ground, working under a reputable guide. With open eyes and strong willingness to learn, you will gain knowledge quickly. Best of luck!

Have you ever elk hunted? Been around horses at all?

I’ve seen and even hired guys that did the exact same thing. Back home they were frustrated and ready to say screw the world I’m heading to the damn mountains! But before you pack up and head west for employment or any extended stay you should go there first. Go camp and hike. Maybe work for an outfitter that does a summer business. Life is MUCH EASIER then.

The mountains don’t exactly welcome people with open arms. They test a man. They make you earn it. Nothing is free up there. You pay the price just to get up higher for a nice view. More than half the people who follow those kind of dreams end up heading back home with their tails tucked between their legs. A good number bail out within the first 2 weeks. The days are long, the work is hard and sweaty…. And sometimes dangerous. One step at a time brother. Go to outdoor shows and talk to outfitters face to face. There are also guys who went west only to have horror stories about crappy outfitters. It’s a two way street. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Have you ever elk hunted? Been around horses at all?

I’ve seen and even hired guys that did the exact same thing. Back home they were frustrated and ready to say screw the world I’m heading to the damn mountains! But before you pack up and head west for employment or any extended stay you should go there first. Go camp and hike. Maybe work for an outfitter that does a summer business. Life is MUCH EASIER then.

The mountains don’t exactly welcome people with open arms. They test a man. They make you earn it. Nothing is free up there. You pay the price just to get up higher for a nice view. More than half the people who follow those kind of dreams end up heading back home with their tails tucked between their legs. A good number bail out within the first 2 weeks. The days are long, the work is hard and sweaty…. And sometimes dangerous. One step at a time brother. Go to outdoor shows and talk to outfitters face to face. There are also guys who went west only to have horror stories about crappy outfitters. It’s a two way street. Good luck!
I lived in Colorado from 17-19 and hunted a couple trips while out there for elk, when the Army allowed. Went on a week trip last year out there shot a good muley buck. Backpack hunting is my way of bridging the gap from getting out of the Army. I approach it like I’m training all over again. I ruck (hike) for fun and stay in shape all year in the steep river hills of Pennsylvania. I don’t really have a choice in that matter though as I work currently in a federal prison as a Correctional Officer. Stay in shape and that along with other attributes, keeps thugs listening sort of. I get to the range at least once a week and am fascinated by accurizing long range rifles specifically bolt guns. I have tried out for our prison’s riot swat team (SORT), pending placement.

Point is I enjoy pushing myself, and specifically try to put myself in jobs where stressful situations are potentially frequent.

Hunting in remote areas and pushing myself in the mountains is what I look at as my discipline. I treat it as such.

Horses I do not have much experience in riding or wrangling. I was probably around horses once a month growing up, but only watching people with them. I am around then now about that much again. I have only ridden a handful of times. However, I love horses. They are captivating animals. I’d jump on the opportunity to learn how to coincide with them in the wilderness.

I have even considered using the rest of my GI Bill to attend a guide school.

I completely understand that this is no ferry boat to a dream world and that it’ll smash you in the mouth. I’d rather have what I am passionate about break my teeth.

I lived in Colorado from 17-19 and hunted a couple trips while out there for elk, when the Army allowed. Went on a week trip last year out there shot a good muley buck. Backpack hunting is my way of bridging the gap from getting out of the Army. I approach it like I’m training all over again. I ruck (hike) for fun and stay in shape all year in the steep river hills of Pennsylvania. I don’t really have a choice in that matter though as I work currently in a federal prison as a Correctional Officer. Stay in shape and that along with other attributes, keeps thugs listening sort of. I get to the range at least once a week and am fascinated by accurizing long range rifles specifically bolt guns. I have tried out for our prison’s riot swat team (SORT), pending placement.

Point is I enjoy pushing myself, and specifically try to put myself in jobs where stressful situations are potentially frequent.

Hunting in remote areas and pushing myself in the mountains is what I look at as my discipline. I treat it as such.

Horses I do not have much experience in riding or wrangling. I was probably around horses once a month growing up, but only watching people with them. I am around then now about that much again. I have only ridden a handful of times. However, I love horses. They are captivating animals. I’d jump on the opportunity to learn how to coincide with them in the wilderness.

I have even considered using the rest of my GI Bill to attend a guide school.

I completely understand that this is no ferry boat to a dream world and that it’ll smash you in the mouth. I’d rather have what I am passionate about break my teeth.

When I got back from Afghanistan the last time I found a school in MT that accepts the GI Bill, when I get home I’ll try and find it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of things I would be looking for; Required credentials for the particular state, most require you have a first aid card, some allow on line courses, others you must actually go to class. pick a couple of states, find out what they require, short of buying a liability policy, be prepared.
outfitter has to be able to insure you, most of the time the underwriters determine that based on your driving record. Keep it tidy from here on out.
It’s 0515, haven’t finished my first coffee and I’ve a guest at the main house complaining he’s plugged the toilet again and still can’t run a plunger. Sure you want to do this?

2five7

WKR
Well, since you have no guiding experience, and very little Elk hunting experience, you may end up working a camp helper for a few years until you learn the ropes. That means your pay will be much lower than a full fledged guide. Being a successful guide entails lots of different things, firstly you need to know how to hunt Elk in general, you also need to know how to handle a client that paid big $$$ for a hunt, and what to say and do when the hunting is tough. Your Boss is obviously hiring you to make him look good. Keeping a positive attitude at all times is very important, and not always easy to do.

Thank you for your service! Go to a guide school and volunteer at a horse facility for a bit. The schools are tough but extremely educational and useful. I would also start spending time in the mountains. Hiking, camping and scouting. Learn the animals. Oh, grow a beard. It’s a must for mountain guides.

Thank you for your service! Go to a guide school and volunteer at a horse facility for a bit. The schools are tough but extremely educational and useful. I would also start spending time in the mountains. Hiking, camping and scouting. Learn the animals. Oh, grow a beard. It’s a must for mountain guides.

Every man should have a beard anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
A couple of things I would be looking for; Required credentials for the particular state, most require you have a first aid card, some allow on line courses, others you must actually go to class. pick a couple of states, find out what they require, short of buying a liability policy, be prepared.
outfitter has to be able to insure you, most of the time the underwriters determine that based on your driving record. Keep it tidy from here on out.
It’s 0515, haven’t finished my first coffee and I’ve a guest at the main house complaining he’s plugged the toilet again and still can’t run a plunger. Sure you want to do this?
Recently I had to listen to a Tranny cry hysterically that I was too mean to it and it can’t take this life anymore, then I was told I need to be more ‘friendly’ to murderers and child molesters because they are people too….. yea I’m sure

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Well, since you have no guiding experience, and very little Elk hunting experience, you may end up working a camp helper for a few years until you learn the ropes. That means your pay will be much lower than a full fledged guide. Being a successful guide entails lots of different things, firstly you need to know how to hunt Elk in general, you also need to know how to handle a client that paid big $$$ for a hunt, and what to say and do when the hunting is tough. Your Boss is obviously hiring you to make him look good. Keeping a positive attitude at all times is very important, and not always easy to do.
I’m totally alright with little to no pay and rucking meat for awhile and being an extra rifle in bear country, I get a decent VA check

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Meat packer is fine with me

JCohHTX

FNG
I am reading Mountain Men and River Hippies by Patrick Taylor at the moment. The book is about him going to a guide school and starting a second career as a packer. Might be worth a read.

smithjd

FNG
I’ll let you know how it goes… I pulled the plug on my last career earlier this year and signed up for guide school. It starts in a couple weeks and will be done mid-August. I don’t know what to expect (out of me) as I’m not as young as I used to be, but it will be something different and an adventure.

I thought about this after I retired and decided I didnt want to do my hobby as a job. I felt it would lose the luster and be just frustrating. Now I go on several hunts a year with friends as a tag along helper and its stress free and beyond enjoyable.

However, if I was in your position, I would attend a guide school and then look for season work as a trail crew or wildland firefighter for the forest service out west to get mountain friendly. During that time you can research the opportunities to meet and greet the outfitters in the area and see what they are looking for.

Best of luck to you.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I’ll let you know how it goes… I pulled the plug on my last career earlier this year and signed up for guide school. It starts in a couple weeks and will be done mid-August. I don’t know what to expect (out of me) as I’m not as young as I used to be, but it will be something different and an adventure.
Hey I might be right behind you lol, I’m 28. Wife’s Business took off so I can afford to get out of the Government right now, so to me it’s now or never at least for 2022.

Overdrive

WKR
I guide for 2 different outfitters one in Colorado which is horseback base camp hunts and the other in Wyoming which is private land. I was lucky that I knew the owners before guiding for them, I didn't really have to work my way up as they knew I was an already accomplished hunter and caller. I still do some wrangling, packing and camp chores because it's always a team effort.
There are many differences in the 2 outfits I work for the Colorado hunts are a lot more physically demanding with more hiking and caring for the horses in camp and on the mountain. In Wyoming it's private land so more time in a pick up or utv getting to where we need to be.
If it were me I'd call a few outfitters and tell them your experience level and your goals, it's better to learn while making some money than pay someone to teach you. Like mentioned States are different on their regulations for guides, I have to be licensed in Wyoming but not in Colorado and it's a good idea for everyone to know CPR and first aid and get certified for that as well.
You'll know after your first full Fall of working in an outfitters camp weather you're gonna NG to love it or hate it. I can't get enough of it and I start later in life than you are. Good luck!

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I guide for 2 different outfitters one in Colorado which is horseback base camp hunts and the other in Wyoming which is private land. I was lucky that I knew the owners before guiding for them, I didn't really have to work my way up as they knew I was an already accomplished hunter and caller. I still do some wrangling, packing and camp chores because it's always a team effort.
There are many differences in the 2 outfits I work for the Colorado hunts are a lot more physically demanding with more hiking and caring for the horses in camp and on the mountain. In Wyoming it's private land so more time in a pick up or utv getting to where we need to be.
If it were me I'd call a few outfitters and tell them your experience level and your goals, it's better to learn while making some money than pay someone to teach you. Like mentioned States are different on their regulations for guides, I have to be licensed in Wyoming but not in Colorado and it's a good idea for everyone to know CPR and first aid and get certified for that as well.
You'll know after your first full Fall of working in an outfitters camp weather you're gonna NG to love it or hate it. I can't get enough of it and I start later in life than you are. Good luck!
I am going to start just throwing my name and portfolio out there.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I guide part time now, used to be full time with a couple outfits doing backcountry horse hunts.

I miss it every day, but was ready to be done when I quit. Be prepared for a ton of work for no pay, often times not a lot of fun, it can be a real grind. Some people thrive on it, some crumple. I would probably still be doing it, if I didn’t want kids, it just is tough to spend that much time in the backcountry with no communication, and with kids. I now get my fix doing a few weeks a year, plus all my personal hunting.

If you bust your ass, and keep pushing through the grind, you should be okay. Obviously you need to know how to hunt, and the hardest part for me, was learning to deal with many personality types. You will have weeks with hunters that you want to just kill them, and you have to put on that fake face. You’ll have other guys, that you know every morning when your saddling horses at 3 am that your wasting time, because you will never be able to get them an animal with their physical or mental limitations. All part of the game.

Good luck- again, if your wanting to make a good living, probably not the way to go. If you get some experience, and can do it part time for some better outfitters, it can be good side money. I broke down my hourly pay with the first outfitter I was with, and it was running about $2.50/hour. That was less than 10 years ago.