Any Western Elk Guides Out There

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
My two cents. Never been a guide, but did spend 6 years as a grunt. So I understand the need for that grind of the field time. You love to hate it, or hate to love it, whatever that saying is! Got out finished my degree then moved out west and worked for the feds as a wildland firefighter for 5 years. Absolutely kickass job, you go and see so many awesome places that no one else gets to. You’re pushed physically and mentally but in my opinion it’s worth it. Pay is ok. You’re on the road chasing fires all summer and if you start with a southern crew you’ll be off by hunting season (not archery). If you’re looking for fun, demanding season work check into it. I worked on an engine, Helitack, and as a shot for one season. I thought the initial attack Helitack crew was the most fun. Then, when I was shit full of sleeping in the dirt full time I moved to the front range and now been with a big city dept for 10yrs. Again, never been a guide, but have experienced the seasonal mountain work.
I looked into wildland fire as well. Especially the smoke jumpers, it was extremely tempting to put in an app when I saw the announcement for them this past summer. We won’t move for many years though unfortunately.

The plan currently is attend the school, work for some outfit to get the feet wet seasonally if possible. Then see what happens.

I wonder if you know the Battalion Chief ( I believe that correct?) around Canon City. My buddy married his daughter.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
This thread was a great read. Thank you to all who participated.

@BeastOfTheTrees how did your story end, or is it still a work in progress?
My mountain story will never end brother. I’m locked in for Swan Mountain Guide School in Montana. April 18-June 9. Attending the river guide school of theirs as well. Figured it would help if I can find work closer to home up in Maine. If I can stake a claim at some outfitter in Maine to be a moose camp bitch, send it.

River hippie would be great too btw lol.

Right now it’s just staying in shape, reading, shooting, getting the mind right.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
You have to love hunting elk to be an elk guide because after about 50 hunts, up at 4 am, going all day for 5 or 7 days, field dressing kills, packing out with a pack or going back and getting horses and packing out or being unsuccessful then, having a few days off until the next hunt, it becomes a job ! Good luck.
Sounds like a lot of baths in the creek or lack there of. My kind of party.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Maybe join the Pennsylvania Draft Horse & Mule Association, for 20.00/yr then find out if there are any member horse farms local to you. Im betting there are many. Send Donna an e-mail and she will forward it to the other members. [email protected] There you can volunteer and there you will learn much about horses and learning the handling of draft horses will be helpful to you. Mules too, and many outfitters use mules. Draft horse/mule owners are a huge nationwide network and that may also be beneficial.
Thanks brother

If you guys are looking at guide schools I’d highly recommend Royal Tine. Cody Hensen has a good reputation with outfitters and so job placement is good. That’s one of the main things to look at.

mntnguide

WKR
If you guys are looking at guide schools I’d highly recommend Royal Tine. Cody Hensen has a good reputation with outfitters and so job placement is good. That’s one of the main things to look at.
Cody and LeRee run the best school out there without question. Over 20 years doing it and there is a reason they are so well respected, and others are a junk show but have good marketing plans to get students.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cody and LeRee run the best school out there without question. Over 20 years doing it and there is a reason they are so well respected, and others are a junk show but have good marketing plans to get students.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I’ve hired greenhorns from several schools. Swan, Western Montana School for Guides etc. But eventually I only hired from Royal Tine. Their students were always more prepared. Cody makes men out of boys.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I’ve hired greenhorns from several schools. Swan, Western Montana School for Guides etc. But eventually I only hired from Royal Tine. Their students were always more prepared. Cody makes men out of boys.
I went with swan because it is fully paid for with the GI Bill. I think the boy in me died a long time ago.

ccc9092

FNG
Not a guide or have gone to guide school but have been on many guided hunts. Seems like a young man or woman game, it's incredibly time consuming, low pay (compared to the consistent pay one would get from a career job) and if you were trying to do it being married or with kids, it would be incredibly hard.

Most guides work their butt off and you can not understate how difficult it would be physically, emotional and a true test of your woodsman abilities. I have so much respect for guides and while it would be a romantic lifestyle, I have a wife and kids that take priority over my hunting. Everyone is different but those are the facts of being a guide and if its what you desire, give it a shot. I am a grading contractor and for what its worth, we typically hire more people with work experience than degrees. With that being said, while going to guide school might help it would be more beneficial to just find an outfitter and volunteer your time and learn from them.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I’m no stranger to leaving for awhile. My old lady is a ride or die. She shoulda left long ago, but she insists she ain’t going nowhere. New life it is.