Anybody care to repeat?

I’m sure this has been addressed, but I can’t find it…

What’s a good layering system under waders for early to mid Sept in SW Alaska? Want to pack enough but not too much. Have feet under control. Talking mostly about pants.

Considering 100% wind and waterproof, it seems like one weather appropriate quality base layer would be sufficient, but i don’t know. I plan to do some testing locally this winter, but we don’t get too many 25-40 degree wet weekends with all day to spend outside.

I’m afraid the pants I plan to wear on days when waders aren’t needed are a bit too bulky to go inside waders. So that’s not really an option. I’m guessing a mid weight pant over my base layer, then waders??

Suggestions?

Last edited:

mooster

WKR
I wear light pants under my waders, simms g3 and never cold in Yukon river NWR area in late sept. The waders are also windproof so even when cold out it seems warm. We’re lake hunting and rafting x lakes so not always wet except feet. We often have to boil water to unfreeze our wader boots. Still are warm with no long johns.

OP
P
Okay. Thanks. Just making sure. Again, conditions here will allow for a brief test this winter. But brief is for sure. My only out of state hunt trip this year is S Texas and it’ll be warmer then NW Florida.

I generally bring mid weight merino which is worn under waders or my kuiu guide pants. Then I bring mtn hardware puffy pants if it's going to be cold in the mornings or evenings. Puffy pants are light and pack down really well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I wear whichever set of long underwear I grab when I’m heading out. I have a few different ones from cheap marmot to some kuiu and they all work the same. Don’t overthink it.