Anybody familiar with Atlantic Brant hunting?

Duckfever

FNG
Would love to head out to east coast one of these years to chase Atlantic Brant. I've read something like 80% of them winter in NJ or NY. Problem is I have a late December Swan hunt in NC (if we get selected in the draw) so it would work better this year to plan for November.

Question: is the Brant hunting good in Nov, or better to wait until later in the season? Would also like to go after black duck while I am out there, so any Guide recommendations that could accommodate both species would be much appreciated. Open to suggestions for other states as well, if you have any good ideas.

My friend lives on Long Island and took me once in December. It was definitely a cool experience. They are goofy birds and decoy well.

There will be some around in November but not sure how much better December is? Brant have high banding rates so you might get some jewelry! IMG_0477.JPG

You can kill Brant on the NC coast same time your hunting Swan. I recommend late Jan for Swan. If you draw you Swan hunt it won't last long. I have killed 2 it was hour sit both hunts, took longer to put out and pick up the 100 decoys...Black ducks are there too, but it they are little harder to get a shot at.
20170118_155223.jpg

Rich M

WKR
I went to VA. Was hunting deer in md and decided to do a guided brant hunt in chincoteague.

prettiest sunrise ever followed by a couple decoying brant. Shot some buffleheads next.

ask the guide if you’ll get one, he should know if they do regularly or not. Black duck should be easy too. Either they are there or they aren’t.

mid guide can’t say “ we shot x brant for y guys” or we shot x blacks for y guys” go with someone who can.