anybody got any advice on hunting deer and elk up high near great falls MT

anybody got any advice on hunting deer and elk up high near great falls Montana? We are planning, God-willing, to hunt there in the end of October on horse back about 20 miles in from the road. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. also anyone who thinks they can give me a few tips for out west, i could return the favor and even line up a few good hunts for you if your interested in some unique hunting in the appalachian mountains for whitetail and black bear and wild turkey..a good chance these hunts in the southern mountains would be away from roads and people and more like hunting the west only really thick cover and big hardwoods and requiring alot of patience and sittign up a tree for a long time....thanks again

Just to clarify, the "we" you refer to is who?

Are you looking for hunting tips in general or locations?

I'm just a little confused. If nobody in your group has been there before, a 20 mile pack in could turn out to be a giant headache.

2rocky

WKR
Sounds like you lined up a Drop camp? If so then your packer/outfitter is the best reference. What is your time-line? What season? What elevation? How many in the group?

OP
D
answers to your questions

thanks for the reply. Actually there is no we other than one local who hunts there regularly and has for years. We met thru the possibility of selling me a small piece of land out there. Im looking more for hunting tips in general of the units near Great falls and not so much locations. Got any words of wisdom? Id be glad to return the favor somehow...

Just to clarify, the "we" you refer to is who?

Are you looking for hunting tips in general or locations?

I'm just a little confused. If nobody in your group has been there before, a 20 mile pack in could turn out to be a giant headache.

OP
D
Oct. 27 thru nov 2nd...just myself and one local that has hunted there for years. we will probably be as high as you can get or not far below in the units that are near Great Falls, MT...got any advice?

thanks for the reply. Actually there is no we other than one local who hunts there regularly and has for years. We met thru the possibility of selling me a small piece of land out there. Im looking more for hunting tips in general of the units near Great falls and not so much locations. Got any words of wisdom? Id be glad to return the favor somehow...

I don't have much advice other than know your general elk & deer habits. None of the general units in the Great Falls area a really what you would call the top trophy units in the state...aka you'd be crazy to pass on a MD over 170" or an elk over 300".