Anybody have a tarp tent?

Voyageur

WKR
I've had my Stratospire 2 for close to 10 years now and like and appreciate its features more everytime I use it. I've taken it backpacking, on canoeing expeditions, moose and caribou hunting, and general truck camping. I've used it solo, with another person, and with just the dog. I've always been happy with its features and performance.
Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions.

I just got a Protrail and seam sealed it. Then the rains rolled in and it spent the night getting poured on. It weathered well all night. I plan to post an initial review in the next few days.

I recently purchased the Double Rainbow. I am really surprised how much room it has and very light weight. At only around 2 pounds it should be really nice this fall.

I would recommend listening to this podcast with the owner of Tarptent. He really explains about tent materials. The DCF doesn't have as long of a life span according to him. It's a good listen.

It's funny that I listened to the same podcast, which is why I ordered the rainbow!

DHerman1

FNG
I have a mountain laurel designs duomid that I’ve used for years in elk season. If you run two trekking poles for setup it is really quite spacious. I’m 6’3” 215 and there’s a good amount of room. There’s an optional floor insert as well, but I typically run it without and use a bivy sack. The whole setup (tent, bag, pad, bivy) is under 4 lbs. - I’ve really not found anything better and I’ve tried to spend money on something else but haven’t found a suitable reason to.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aeon Li going on 4 years I believe (and lots of nights)- 17.5 ounces WITH guys and stakes! :)- full bathtub floor, full bug netting, good sized vestibule- plenty of room for one

dfxWuKq.jpg

ogPD71v.jpg

BBob

WKR
Aeon Li going on 4 years I believe (and lots of nights)- 17.5 ounces WITH guys and stakes! :)- full bathtub floor, full bug netting, good sized vestibule- plenty of room for one
I have a first gen TT Notch Li that's about 4 years old. I waffled between it and the Aeon. Every time this gets posted I sort of wish I went with the lighter Aeon :)

Early season I use my Notch as a tarp with an MLD DCF bivy. 15 oz. To facilitate easier setup as a tarp I ran light guy line from end to end to set the length when seting up. Much faster. I also added Z pack stick on mitten hooks at each end for the bivy shock cord attachment to keep the bivy off my face.

Clarktar

WKR
I have a first gen TT Notch Li that's about 4 years old. I waffled between it and the Aeon. Every time this gets posted I sort of wish I went with the lighter Aeon :)

Early season I use my Notch as a tarp with an MLD DCF bivy. 15 oz. To facilitate easier setup as a tarp I ran light guy line from end to end to set the length when seting up. Much faster. I also added Z pack stick on mitten hooks at each end for the bivy shock cord attachment to keep the bivy off my face.
I have the aeon that I might want to trade for the Notch if you get the itch.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
I have a cloudburst 3 for family backpacking with the dog too. I use a bowfin 1 for solo trips and archery season. Both are bugproof.

I like the design and how easily these tents pitch. I have quite a tent collection to compare against.

and tarptents are USA made.
They were made in the USA but about 1.5 years ago they started making them in Hong Kong.

BBob

WKR
The Protrail I just got says made in the USA on it. I think some are still made here and some are imported.
Pretty sure all the DCF tents went to china and some of the others like the Double Rainbow did too. Each individual tent page has the origin even if it's cryptic to find. If it says globally sourced it's made elsewhere. Click on the Globally Sourced tab for details on where the fabric is made and where it's manufactured.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
still have the Aeon, but wanted a little more in the way of bad weather protection and a little more room when hunting- enter the Stratospire Li- two person, double walled, double vestibules, more wind/weather resistant- still light at 2 lbs all in (guys/8 8" stakes)

0PmuFlS.jpg

Clarktar

WKR
I've got 11 nights in the aeonLi, and 28 nights in a NotchLi.

I bought the tents as I wanted a tent option that was fully enclosed for us in AK (mosquitos). The the aeon was kind of a pain in the ass to pitch but it bucked decent winds on exposed gravel bars. For the minimal added weight I prefer the notch more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mtwarden, you been in weather, high winds or snow yet with it?

High winds two nights with the Stratospire Li all good. I did attach the two optional guy lines and exchanged all 6" stakes for 8" ones- according to MLD almost twice the holding power.

No snow yet, but I'm thinking about adding two more guyouts with this for Winter:

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/dcf-loop-superkit/

I'll still use the Aeon for fairer weather ( it's actually pretty good in wind/rain!)- it's almost half the weight of the Stratospire- ~ 1 lb vs 2 lb

I use a Stratospire 1 and its bombproof and just simply works awesome for all seasons. Still light, but bombproof enough that you feel confident in weather.

The Stratospire 2 would probably be my choice if it was my wife. If it was another dude I would opt for a 3 person tent.

I love my Tarptent. I've owned 4 tarptents and will continue to use their stuff.