Anybody have success on the Dalton HWY this year??

We had an awesome time, made the mistake of thinking we were going to do the 5 mi hike out to try and shoot one with the riffle other than that and the sag river being near flood stage we had an awesome trip and plan on trying to do it again in 2020.
cb8b4423a1e1639c942c0f78cd0281bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
Tennhunter,

When you have some time, could you provide a little more detail about 1) the 5-mile hike, and 2) trying to cross the Sag in high water conditions? Those are both tougher things than they seem on paper, that may help new hunters heading that way to use caution and help them be safe.

Congrats on your hunt, glad you enjoyed it.

Broomd

WKR
If Tennh doesn't get back to you, I could shed some light. Didn't hunt last year, it's been awhile, but wife and I hunted right out of Ice Cut and crossed the Sag. Hunt of a lifetime, and took a toad 'bou too. The '5 mi death march' was a bucket list hunt for me before leaving AK for ID....

Broomed that was a awesome bull feel free to chime in this year was my first experience up there and proud to say I will be back, while we did run into a hunter or two and made friends with some guys from Kansas the experience was awesome. Top three things for us hunting the road and glassing up bou was 1. Extra gas cans so we didn’t have to drive 100 or so miles north to fill up 2.a pack raft big enough to feel safe in. 3. Your range finder and binos in a harness attached to you at all times.
I say that last one with a bit of a sting still, I missed a giant because I left mine behind in my pack on the stalk. Even though my bou was on the small side anything killed in that vast wide open country is a trophy in my book very rewarding hunt, I’ve hunted many places out west many different species but the haul rd hunt has to be one of the top the surroundings driving north from Fairbanks are simply breathtaking.
P.S. crossing the Sag or any stream up there can be difficult life jackets recommended, was going to cross a stream that was literally 6ft wide figured with my stride I might get one leg a little damp and then be able to step on other bank and keep other leg dry lol, nope ended up swimming back to the bank.
97fdae98ef96ca45fa1c0609b72f68a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in AK and have been to the haul road a few times. A few pointers out there 1. The 5 mile march in the tundra is no joke! 2. The fog is also no joke. Have at very least a compass. It's flat enough that you could watch your dog run away for 3 days but when the fog rolls in you can't see 30 feet. 3. you will never regret bringing extra gas. 4. Road hunting you will have company. It's an unreal hunt and the Brooks range is incredible.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

I went up 4 times in 2018, very fun times and we had some great opportunities. My two friends from MT both had shots at bulls, one of them harvested a bull and the other missed a few at under 40. My wife killed her first caribou this year with a great 60 yard shot. My friend from Anc and I went up for a day and a half and we both killed bulls, his was around 320" and mine was a young bull I couldn't resist shooting with two tags. I drew my bow on what I think was a 380" bull at 60 yards and when I shot the bow blew up, so that kind of sucks... All in all it was a good time up there, just so many people.

JeremiahH

WKR
Crickets for archery bou ?
I did it back in 2013 and had a ball.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

JeremiahH

WKR
We Killed two opening weekend. Only trip I made up there this year.
Awesome, mid July. Wondering if there was much luck from Ice Cut vivinity and north of that. Pump station 3 to 2 area maybe ? I know its hit or miss up there depending on the heard movements

JeremiahH

WKR
I haven't paid attention since I last did it. It opened in July back then. We thought it was a bit early and didn't hunt until August for our trip.
3 out of 4 tagged out so pretty good trip.