Anybody “lose” their camp?

slatty

WKR
Elk hunt this year in BC in a motorized vehicle closed area. Opening day a truck comes bumping past our camp, the dudes cut the lock on the gate at the bottom of the forestry road (I had helped the conservation officer install the lock earlier in the week, as they keep getting cut). My hunting partner lost his tent that day and we are certain the truck buddies took it. Really unfortunate and just makes me sick to think what passes for decorum for some individuals in the backcountry.

T28w

WKR
I had planned on truck camping for 1st rifle this year and thought I would leave camp setup by the truck. Does anyone break down camp when they leave in the morning and set back up that night?

There have definitely been times when I get to an intended campsite and unload a few things like the tent, sleeping bag, etc and then head out to fish for a few hours before returning to set up camp later. I'm guessing this is a similar scenario and the guy was probably just nearby glassing from a ridge or something.

archp625

WKR
Reading some of these reply's really piss me off. I wish people would just leave other peoples things alone.

I really do hope this was a honest find and they are able to find the owner. I know if I lost my SO tent I would hoe someone would find it and I could get it back.

Good way to get another backpack hunter out of an area, that's my suspicion anyway. Curious if someone knows when it went missing and when it was reported.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah, there is no way someone loses a stuff sack with gear in it. You would feel it fall off of your pack if that's what happened. He should have left it alone.....guy probably came back from hunting that evening to set up his camp only to find his bag gone. I hate a damn thief, and also people who mess with things that aren't theirs

Everyone likes to jump to conclusions when you have no idea what happened. Isn’t there a another post going on now about how people leave stuff my their truck, run over their bows and all kinds of other stuff? If that is the case, is it possible that he maybe sat down to have a snack and accidentally left his tent?

Yes maybe he just tossed a tent, by itself, onto the ground so he could come back later and set it up. Either way, at least now he has a chance of finding it. Now if the tent was setup, then yes leave it alone. Otherwise what if he did lose it and someone found it but just left it there?

Kindo

WKR
I'm not familiar with that area but I could see how things get lost in travel. Where I archery hunt in CO, there's a group of guys (who are complete slobs and jerks) who hunt the same area as us and this year on their pack in with horses, they unknowingly had a yard sale on their way in. We spoke to other hunters who found a release, another had found a brand new pair of boots, and another guy found a day pack. All this stuff fell off their horses on their way in and they had no idea. The other hunters were nicer than myself and helped get the gear back to them, probably because they had never met them before. They were probably half-tossed on Old Mil and didn't even know they were losing stuff.

Htm84

WKR
I’m gonna guess one of two things happened. Either some well meaning dope found a tent bag and thought someone forgot it. Or somebody set their camp up weeks before the season trying to claim “their” spot. I’m leaning towards the first option just based on them trying to return the tent to the owner.

bozeman

WKR
How many times have you dropped a backpack and couldnt find it? Try dropping your tent and hunting all day, come back at night and try to locate it.......it is very feasible someone did something like this and couldn't locate where they dropped it off. While there are several '$#$% heads' out there, there are also many good hearted people still left in this world.........

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
yes, had a basecamp stolen back in 2001.
we had been spiked out for 3 days, in the elk, about 5 miles from base wall tent camp.
the thieves took everything but the tarp cover.
And damaged the lock mechanism on the truck w/topper left in camp too!
B_stards even left a note, tacked on cut wood in fire pit:
"thanks for the gear. Left some wood for a warming campfire".

We were happy to be packing back meat from 2 bulls...until we arrived back to camp via jeep and saw that basecamp was gone.
Kittitas County sheriff called, he showed up. Took a report, that was it.

Today base camp is surrounded by 3 game cams and 2 not so obvious, high end spy cams. 19 years later, leaves a bad feeling in all 3 of our guts. One partner, never packed a handgun,,,now does.

Man I can't even imagine. Because of all this, which Ive been hearing more and more of this year, I've taken to locking my stuff from truck camp back in my pickup every morning before I head out.