Anybody rucking?

SWOHTR

WKR
Thanks for asking. My back and shoulders are good. No issues there. Quads were a little sore but no different than a normal leg day. One weird think is I have shin splint pain. Probably more boot related…. Crispi Nevada with miracle gray insoles. Also the trail was pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likely because of the pavement. How hilly was the course, the repeated harder footfall impacts coming downhill on pavement would cause that. Nothing that shouldn’t clear up after a few sessions.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Are you running? Wow. Most people can’t walk 3mph for any duration….

Anyways, OP: you did a first time hike with over 1/3rd of your weight on your back. Ease up on it a little bit. Look into pack fitting and pack loading, ie you don’t want all the weight at the bottom of the bag you want it mid-back.
I went back and checked, my 3 mile target time is 45 mins not 40. I went back and looked at the logs I used to keep, Im usually just under 45mins, Ive had bad times too, I saw one day it took me 57 minutes, I was probably hungover or something.

SWOHTR

WKR
I went back and checked, my 3 mile target time is 45 mins not 40. I went back and looked at the logs I used to keep, Im usually just under 45mins, Ive had bad times too, I saw one day it took me 57 minutes, I was probably hungover or something.
Gotcha. I was going to say, you must have some long legs! For me to keep that pace I’d be running.

OP
J

jarrettd

FNG
Good news! Went rucking 6 miles on Forrest horse trails Saturday morning. Dropped my weights down to 35. The Pack with water and everything was probably around 40. Adjusted my pack, laced my boots differently (heel lock), used different socks ( smoother bottom - not quilted pattern). And…… NO PAIN! No shin pain, no leg pain, no back pain, no shoulder pain. Trust me the workout was grueling and it kicked our butts. I was seriously worried I was gonna be so sore the next day but all is good. I am thrilled. Thanks for the good advice, fellow rocksliders!

KHNC

WKR
Good news! Went rucking 6 miles on Forrest horse trails Saturday morning. Dropped my weights down to 35. The Pack with water and everything was probably around 40. Adjusted my pack, laced my boots differently (heel lock), used different socks ( smoother bottom - not quilted pattern). And…… NO PAIN! No shin pain, no leg pain, no back pain, no shoulder pain. Trust me the workout was grueling and it kicked our butts. I was seriously worried I was gonna be so sore the next day but all is good. I am thrilled. Thanks for the good advice, fellow rocksliders!

The X2 is a terrible pack for rucking with more than 30lbs. If you keep it around 30 with a snug fit, it will do much better. Check into getting a GORUCK GR1 if you are planning to use rucking as a regular training tool. Also, look into ordering a 25-30lb Ruck plate. They are shaped to slide right into a ruck for training.

RedPaint

FNG
The X2 is a terrible pack for rucking with more than 30lbs. If you keep it around 30 with a snug fit, it will do much better. Check into getting a GORUCK GR1 if you are planning to use rucking as a regular training tool. Also, look into ordering a 25-30lb Ruck plate. They are shaped to slide right into a ruck for training.
or a goruck plate carrier

schmalzy

WKR

I brought it up earlier, but does the lack of frame or significant waist belt bother you at all? Any experience running it with 50-60 pounds? Not putting it down or questioning your choice, just looking for first hand accounts.

I see lots of 5 star reviews but couldn’t see many examples for using it truly as a “ruck” vs an EDC bag. Looks like a really well made bag, just didn’t look like it’d be comfortable for packing weight due to the lack of frame.

WCB

WKR
Check pack fit #1. Also try and make sure load is flat against your pack and try to get it elevated a bit not just a big 50lb ball on the load shelf or in the bottom of the bag.

Also, one thing I never see talked about when packing loads is form...try to maintain good posture/form. I can tell instantly when I start to lack on form and get slumped forward when packing heavy loads. Straighten up and walk normal and a lot of neck and back pain goes away.

Also as some others have said....lighten the load a bit and work on fit/feel first then work back up towards heavier weights come closer to season.

I brought it up earlier, but does the lack of frame or significant waist belt bother you at all? Any experience running it with 50-60 pounds? Not putting it down or questioning your choice, just looking for first hand accounts.

I see lots of 5 star reviews but couldn’t see many examples for using it truly as a “ruck” vs an EDC bag. Looks like a really well made bag, just didn’t look like it’d be comfortable for packing weight due to the lack of frame.

It’s a different type of fit and a different impact on the body. I have a GR3 which I wear basically every time we walk the kid to the park. 2-3 times a week, 3-5 miles. Almost always a 30lb plate. Mine has a waist belt but it doesn’t carry much load, just stabilizes. I find that I get a lot more core and shoulder/upper back engagement with the GR. It is by no means uncomfortable but I would not carry a 50lb load in it.

If I want to do miles or heavier weight I load a plate and a couple sand bags in one of my MR packs.

The GR is also really nice for the Mtn Tough heavy pack style workouts since it has handles all over the place. It’s a ton more durable than my MR's as well from a "throw it across the yard" perspective.

I'm very glad I own both.

KHNC

WKR

GORUCK has events geared toward rucking and basically trying to destroy their packs. The GR1 has been the workhorse for years. You really cant destroy it. Having said that, no non-frame pack is good with more than 40lbs. I use a ruck plate and a 40lb sandbag in mine at different times. As long as you have a chest strap, it works great and is comfortable. 50-60lbs is too much for it , and frankly, thats too much weight for training anyway. I have completed quite a few of their overnight "challenge" events over the years. They consist of 12-16 hours of rucking and PT beat downs. Usually covering 10-15 miles or more during the night. Sometimes up to 20 miles. Only once did we have to carry more than 40lbs. Using 30-40lbs during the year training has kept me in shape to pack out 80-100lbs loads of elk meat on several occasions. Regularly pack out 60-70lbs of deer from remote public land using my Seek Outside Peregrine frame pack. I would not use a 500-600.00 pack for training. 30-40lbs training is plenty. Look up Goruck Tough, Goruck Challenge, Goruck Heavy to get an idea of what the GR1 is designed for. It is a fairly stiff pack with a zipper compartment designed for a ruck plate to slide into. Sandbags can go in main compartment as well.

I started last fall. I don't 'ruck' hard - its just part of my daily workout here in the flatlands where I'm mostly just trying to keep off weight and move my body.

First day I put in 60 pounds and about killed myself by the time I got to the end of the drive way. Did maybe a mile. Cut it to 25 and got things worked out, then stepped it up to about 30. I do that daily for only two miles, and totally flat (no hills here).

Its not much, but I can definitely feel my body work more under the weight compared to when I don't use it (only really cold mornings where I have another jacket on).

Oh yeah - I just use an old Dana Bomb pack. Works fine. I can't understand the Go Ruck packs. Seems stupid not to carry the weight on your waist vs compressing your spine the whole time with just shoulder straps.

RedPaint

FNG
Oh yeah - I just use an old Dana Bomb pack. Works fine. I can't understand the Go Ruck packs. Seems stupid not to carry the weight on your waist vs compressing your spine the whole time with just shoulder straps.
I ruck with a GoRuck pack and a 45lb plate. I do 4-5 miles and get 1000' of elevation gain a few times a week. I have not had any spine issues and have noticed my shoulders and traps get stronger from carrying the weight there, which is what I want. I definitely don't think it's stupid. It is hard, but that is the point.

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a backstory or reason behind the GoRuck pack not having any suspension? Always scratched my head about it.

At least a waist belt should be standard. It doesn't make sense to me. You would want that load transfer for "rucking"

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve got a toddler, so hiking with her in an Osprey kid carrier is what I do for about half of my rucking.

Our kid at 30 pounds, 5 pounds of snacks to keep her happy, the kid carrier itself at 7 pounds, plus some other variable weight from the rest of the assorted shit associated with a toddler gets me pretty close to 50 pounds.

We have few loops that vary from 2 to 5 miles with about 1000 feet of elevation gain. I try to keep the pace high, but I’ll also invariably have to squat a couple of hundred times during the hike to pick up gloves, hats, stuffed animals, and other shit she’ll jettison while we’re out. Also, when our kid starts to get cranky, I can usually prevent a complete meltdown by running and jumping us off rocks along the trail. So, it all adds up to a pretty good workout.

When I go solo, I pack a 40 pound bag of salt wrapped in white duct tape using my SG x curve frame. I get a lot of odd looks from others on the trail because the wrapped salt bag makes it look like I’m hauling some kind of drug load.
haha! I have a toddler too and am in the same boat. I laughed out loud at your comments. I have an old shitty hand-me-down carrier, curious to see what different of an experience I would have with a better pack. I hear Osprey is the way to go.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have been hitting the local hill here in town, just about every day, only 1.6 mile loop but gains 735 feet in the .8 miles on the way up. Been carrying 30ish lbs. Keeping it light so I do not beat up my knees!

Have done quite a few longer treks as well, 4-7 miles, similar elevation gains. Too much snow to do my 8 mile loop with 2300 foot gain. Easy large trail at least but it ends up in a heck of a look out spot!

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
The load lifters must be angled upwards to "lift" load off the shoulders. Most likely your pack is too short and the load lifters cannot work.
pacl-load-lifter-angle.jpg