Anybody run the MR Terraframe 80?

I’ve been going back n forth on which pack to purchase between the Terraframe 80 or the Beartooth 80.

Ive read some comments about the Beartooth and looks like everyone is happy with their purchase however, I haven’t seen any discussions on the Terraframe 80.

Thanks in advance!

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
The Terraframe in its current configuration is new if I'm not mistaken. So don't expect many reviews for most the year.

I’ve been going back n forth on which pack to purchase between the Terraframe 80 or the Beartooth 80.

Ive read some comments about the Beartooth and looks like everyone is happy with their purchase however, I haven’t seen any discussions on the Terraframe 80.

Thanks in advance!

The Terraframe 80 is essentially a smaller Marshall although it’s not marketed under the hunting line up. It is laid out like the Marshall and slightly larger than the Metcalf. This year they are using the MR Guidelight MT frame just like the hunting packs. It saves weight by using 330 Cordura instead of the 500.

I am running a Glacier and am very happy with it but would like the overload shelf to carry tree stands but it was out of the budget at the time gearing up for two for an elk hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I bought and sold one last year and replaced it with a Marshall. It was lighter and a fair bit smaller then the marshall. I didn’t really like the lid of the pack it seemed to small, I’m not sure if it’s the same guide lite frame that’s on my marshall?

Check some of the backpacking sites for reviews on the TerrafrAme.

I have a beartooth and the terra frame is an iteration of the terraplane Dana has been making for decades. Have owned a terraplane, a .mil version of it and a smaller pack with the same design called a Bridger over the years. As of this year they are both on the same frame so the difference is the bag.

Beartooth Is a panel loader with some pockets for organization. TerrafrAme is a top loader with torpedo (two long) pockets running the length of the rear of the pack. I like that layout a lot and have used packs with that design since I started backpacking decades ago. IMO it lets you pack a certain amount of gear where it is very easy to access - water treatment, toilet kit, rain jacket, etc.

Both are great packs. Roughly the same capacity. The big question is a top loader or panel loader.

FWIW - I bought the beartooth to replace my Metcalf to get the new frame and some pockets for organization. If the TerrafrAme on a guidelight MT frame would have been an option last year I probably would have gone that route, because I just like the design. If they put out a coyote version next year I am going to be pissed because I will end up buying it like an idiot.

OP
Tips n Tails
Check some of the backpacking sites for reviews on the TerrafrAme.

I have a beartooth and the terra frame is an iteration of the terraplane Dana has been making for decades. Have owned a terraplane, a .mil version of it and a smaller pack with the same design called a Bridger over the years. As of this year they are both on the same frame so the difference is the bag.

Beartooth Is a panel loader with some pockets for organization. TerrafrAme is a top loader with torpedo (two long) pockets running the length of the rear of the pack. I like that layout a lot and have used packs with that design since I started backpacking decades ago. IMO it lets you pack a certain amount of gear where it is very easy to access - water treatment, toilet kit, rain jacket, etc.

Both are great packs. Roughly the same capacity. The big question is a top loader or panel loader.

FWIW - I bought the beartooth to replace my Metcalf to get the new frame and some pockets for organization. If the TerrafrAme on a guidelight MT frame would have been an option last year I probably would have gone that route, because I just like the design. If they put out a coyote version next year I am going to be pissed because I will end up buying it like an idiot.

That’s great information!!! Very informative and after reading your reply twice; you’re right, the main difference really boils down to panel or top loading.

I imagine the front panel loading makes it easier to unbuckle the straps to access your stuff. I did note though that the Terraframe does have the new Mt guidelight system. I also like how the Terraframe has that sleeping bag compartment at the foot of the bag.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
....... I also like how the Terraframe has that sleeping bag compartment at the foot of the bag.

For the life of me I'll never understand MR Web Marketing Team on lack of video content.

If you haven't pointed it out, I would have missed that essential feature of a Terraframe 80 vs the other size Terraframe as seen in this video

Why are the videos so condensed to under 10 minutes? Is YouTube charging by the minutes?

Good eyes Tips.

WMag338

WKR
I spoke with MR today and they said the TerraFrames were marketed towards hikers so they could more easily sell at the REI's and similar stores. I suppose it would me more difficult to sell a Camo pattern to a hiker than a solid color. They also said they were basically identical to the hunting counterparts, other than a lighter cordura.

I purchased the 2020 version of the Terraframe 80 (Loden green) for a Sept elk hunt. I wanted the Beartooth 80, but it was out of my budget. I was able to find a great deal on the Terraframe 80 instead. Needs the accessory straps to accomodate a bow. Seems very comfortable loaded with 40lbs for training. MR claims 150lb capacity and it is commonly used by hunters despite being in their Expedition line.

Seems like a solid pack. Looking forward to testing it in the field.

View attachment 179684View attachment 179686View attachment 179687View attachment 179688

For reference, I am 6'2", 190 lbs and went with the Medium size. It compresses down pretty tight if needed.

Thank you for posting the pictures.

My son and I are running the MR Glacier packs. I am 6’2 with a 21” torso and my son is 6’5 with a 23” torso. This is the first picture I have seen of anyone taller than 5’11 and it gives a good look at the height of the load lifters. The glacier has barely enough lift for me and is level to just below even for my son and causes pain with pins and needles for him over about 50 lbs.

What is your torso length and have you tried carrying 70 or more pounds with the Terraframe? It looks like from the pictures it would be good for me but still too short for my son.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the pictures.

My son and I are running the MR Glacier packs. I am 6’2 with a 21” torso and my son is 6’5 with a 23” torso. This is the first picture I have seen of anyone taller than 5’11 and it gives a good look at the height of the load lifters. The glacier has barely enough lift for me and is level to just below even for my son and causes pain with pins and needles for him over about 50 lbs.

What is your torso length and have you tried carrying 70 or more pounds with the Terraframe? It looks like from the pictures it would be good for me but still too short for my son.

21" torso for me. 40 lbs is the most I have carried so far.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 179684View attachment 179686View attachment 179687View attachment 179688

For reference, I am 6'2", 190 lbs and went with the Medium size. It compresses down pretty tight if needed.
Big Thank You for the pictures with you wearing it...it really puts the pack in perspective.

I thought I was going to like the Stein 62, but, having a Frame removes the wobbliness off the pack, so now I'm eyeballing this Terraframe 80....might have to sell/trade my MR Stein 62 and MR Rush to afford it....

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t help with the 80, but I have the smaller sized 50. I had some REI credit from a return, so I took a chance on it. It’s my first MR pack, so I can’t compare it to any of the hunting specific ones, but I like it. It seems super durable and I believe the frame is the same as the hunting models. I think the terraframes are a less durable cordura, but it saves weight and still seems plenty rugged for hunting. I’ve worn it for some spring bear hunting, and I found it comfortable. I didn’t kill anything so I can’t speak to it carrying a big load of meat, but I don’t know why it would carry differently than any of the other MR hunting packs. The load shelf system is very easy to use and super slick. I just need to kill something so I can put it to use.

My terraframe is no longer made by MR, but it’s a solid pack. It’s their tri-zip design and has the load shelf. The best part is the buckle that makes taking the pack of the frame a breeze. I carried this pack all over central Oregon a couple of summers ago with 45-50lbs and it was one of the most comfortable packs I’ve ever worn. It’s simple as it gets, not external pockets other than the water bottle pouches.

tam9492

WKR