Anybody that’s been ever had trouble in Africa?

I just saw some plains game packages in South Africa that were cheaper than I expected and it’s got my wheels turning, and I’ve always wanted a kudu and gemsbok.

But in my digging around on here I saw some posts with videos and stories of just purely evil violent acts on farmers and ranchers around there.

Has anybody that’s actually been over there hunting in that area ever been in a bad situation?

They few guys I’ve talked to in person said they had blast but I’d like to get all the feedback I can. Thanks fellas

Dirtbag

WKR
I've never been, but have a acquaintance that married into/owns property in South Africa and goes back and forth all the time. I've asked about the trouble and he mentioned the media in South Africa is no different than ours and although it has its violent areas its fairly isolated and over here we forget how big of a country SA is. He has never had any issues and has been going back and forth for 30 years.

S-3 ranch

WKR
The ranchers next door to me went husband and wife hunters
marge the wife says she will never return to RSA or Zambia
she says “ the crime and people are something on a different level “
personally It wouldn’t bother me as much as my wife and other people

Hornsrok

FNG
Just got back from South Africa this week. Great experience and it all started with a vetted outfitter/lodge. They made arrangements for everything from airport pickup, hotel in Johannesburg, transport to lodge both ways, covid testing. Even networked with other landowner when having a tough time with Kudu. His main priority was our safety each step of the way. The main thing is to check references and a good outfitter will not hesitate to offer them.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Good thread timing. I've thought about this a few times over the past few months.

I look at it like going to Mexico (a few of my coworkers go to RP) or any other 3rd world country....1000's upon 1000's visit with nary a problem, but if things go badly (this encompasses many different types of problems), you ain't in the good old USA with our Constitution behind you and/or you have limited access to resources, at least for some time.

I've always loved to travel and see the world and have done a fair amount, but given the world today, the USA is where you'll find me staying for the foreseeable future.

Eddie

Last edited:

JeffP_Or

WKR
I was in 4 African countries over a 5-ish week period starting in Sept 2001 [not hunting], well before the more recent strife that you might be talking about. More recently, there was a push by governments/ruling factions to reclaim land/farms from the white settlers/owners and that is where a lot of the stories you hear about come from. There are definitely regions where this was severe and others where it was minimal. When there, we flew into and used Nairobi as a sort of base - it was slightly sketchy in some areas; rural areas were not an issue except for the kids begging on the tourists. We only went south as far as Vic Falls and Bulawayo so not into Joberg or SA.

Similar to any international travel, you should be aware and knowledgeable. Check the state department for travel information. As noted above, with reputable guides/outfitters, most all of the logistics will be handled and you will be personally handled from the time you land at your arrival airport to the time your are returned to your departure airport. That will include customs as well. Talk it through with your contact and outfitter. Also, be very fluid, tolerant and patient when traveling there - especially across borders.

As for the hunting: from I have read - again, I have not yet personally hunted Africa - the biggest cost for hunting safaris these days is actually returning with your target species. The handling, dip&pack, shipping process is not only doubling or exceeding travel costs but is also taking extensive periods of time - even with species of non-concern/cites issues. Be mindful, ask a lot of questions and explore all the options you have available to handle this whether using a service or doing it yourself. Make sure you understand the trophy fee system. Also, make certain you understand the hunt concession - many in South Africa in particular - are large game ranches.

Finally - and I mention this with trepidation and a grain of salt only - try exploring the Accurate Reloading forums; they can be a trainwreck but if you just peruse and search there are tidbits of info to be found as the members there are well versed in Africa and African hunting. There are many outfitters and booking agents that you might be able to reach out to in your research.

Hope this helps - we had a great time; the only real problem I have is being able to get back there to enjoy it again!

Last edited:
The worst part of my 16 day hunt in South Africa in August of last year was the Newark, New Jersey airport. Better and friendlier service from the RSA citizens and airport officials than in the USA.

Best of luck with your Africa hunt planning. I can’t wait to return to the Dark Continent on my 3rd trip. You are making a wise and smart investment, TheGrayRider.

OP
M
Thanks a lot for all the reply’s so far. I just joined the Africa Hunting forum and seems like a ton of info on there. Still interested in anyone else’s first hand experience hunting over there. Thanks again

I worked in Zambia for three weeks on project 26 years ago. To say it was rough is an understatement. Slept and ate in a gated compound with armed guards around the perimeter and guest house the entire time. My biggest issue was my socks wouldn't get returned from the laundry without asking where they were....but it could have been worse!

Once while traveling from the airport to where I was working we got stopped by several armed people with old Springfield 30-06's. Turns out they were the "neighborhood" watch assigned to protect the area from raids by folks from the Congo 30 miles away.

While bow hunting in Zimbabwe south of Victoria Falls after the onsite project work was wrapped up I heard about plenty of issues the rural landowner endured. Bet utimately his ranch was confiscated...whether he made it out alive is unknown to me.

On my other trip to Africa 17 years ago, theft around Kimberly, South Africa was rampant. The landowner couldn't keep irrigation equipment from being stolen from his fields. I personally had no issues though.

Good luck...enjoy Africa! It is unlike any other hunting (or working) experience that is for certain!

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I completed my fourth trip a year ago this week. My first was 1998. I hit it off with my PH so well that I started booking hunts for him. Over the years he's become one of my best friends even though we don't see each other often. I helped his son get an internship at a winery I worked with in 2006. Now he's a highly respected winemaker in Africa.

If you go with the experienced pros you'll be fine. My guy was packing a glock anytime we were in town. Theft is a big thing, but a good PH will know where to go. Even though we hunted on a 100,000 ranch in the middle of nowhere, all of the guides and PH's were packing 24/7.

It can be a turn off for some women to see all the poverty and garbage everywhere.

The cost of taxidermy and shipping is getting bad. I actually did a euro on my cape buffalo to save on cost and space. So the buff euro and zebra rug are headed this way now and the shipper/broker/customs outfit cost $4300.....that's not a very big crate for those two items.

My buddy is coming to visit us in October and I can't wait to host him like he has for me so many times.

I worked in Swaziland which is located between South Africa and Mozambique for 3 years. I worked at the US Embassy and was the senior DSS agent in the Regional Security Office. We would travel to South Africa every month either to go to Kruger, doc/dentist, or to go to buy supplies that we could not get in Swaziland.

South Africa has a murder and rape problem that far surpasses anything in the U.S. Unlike the U.S., a lot of murders there go unreported so the problem is often worse than the numbers paint it since local politicians there cherry pick stats to satisfy the tourism industry. Violent crime can happen even in nice areas of the cities so it is not just a matter of staying out of the townships (slum areas). Likewise, when I was there you would hear about farm invasions which would often be very bloody for the white farmers and their families. But the vast majority of cases of extreme violence were usually black South Africans attacking other black immigrants from Zimbabwe, Mozambique, and Zambia.

Regardless, if you are getting picked up at the airport by the PH I would not worry much as they will know what areas to avoid and are usually armed (although that sometimes can makes things worse). The farms that get hit in farm invasions are usually not hunting ranches. So I would not let that convince me not to go. Just use common sense and follow the instructions of your hosts. Many blacks and whites hate each other openly over there but if you treat everyone you meet with respect from the ranch owner to the junior skinner it goes a long way.

It is a cool place to visit although I think of it as Africa Light. I never had any major issues in South Africa besides the odd police bribe and we got followed a few miles one time in Johannesburg by 4 guys in a Hilux. At work we did have a number of American tourists and a few Peace Corps volunteers become victims of violent crime but 90+% of the cases I investigated could have been avoided by using good security awareness and common sense.

OP
M
The more folks I talk to and reply the less concerned I am about the safety part of it. I haven’t heard a story yet where anybody got in a bind while hunting or traveling with their PH or outfitter. Now this shipping, that’s starting to worry me…

Thanks again to all these great reply’s.