Anybody tried the Barnes 7mm LRX 168 in a Tikka

MHWASH

WKR
I’m still trying to figure what rifle I want. The above combo would check a lot of boxes for me, but Barnes recommends a 8” twist.

My overall goal is to kill bears out to 700.

TauPhi111

WKR
I do not have this rifle but I shoot a lot of Barnes and copper bullets and I'd heed the twist warnings. It very likely wont stabilize. Tikkas twist rates are fairly slow for caliber and that particular bullet is quite long. Ive found with Barnes and CEB bullets, when they say it requires X twist, they mean it. You could buy the Tikka and then get a faster twist barrel for it, but by then you may as well buy a more expensive rifle with the proper twist.

Personally for long range bears, I'd go with something bigger than a 7mm as well unless you're shooting a huge magnum. Not that a 7mm wont kill a bear cleanly, but bears generally dont leave great blood trails (even more so with the Barnes, which do the job great but don't leave huge exit holes) and if I am shooting one at 700 yards, I want it to go down immediately so i can find it easily. My minimum would be a 30 cal with heavy bullets, or a 338 or 358.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Berger bullets has a twist rate calculator on their website. When I ran the numbers for this bullet loaded for tikka 7mm RM at 1000' elevation, it said it was marginally stable. You might be able to get good groups, but not good results on game. (Bullet tumble on impact)

TauPhi111

WKR
When using a twist rate calculator, you need to be sure you are using the density for an all copper bullet as well. That makes a difference depending on what other parameters the calculator uses.

WKR
I'd probably have to see which of the Hornady ELD-X bullets shot well in it. I have a fast twist 7mm and I like 195 Bergers and 180 grain scenars in it.

2five7

WKR
That 168 LRX is essentially the same length as the 195 Berger. Not only will it not stabilize in a 9.5 twist, it will eat up tons of case capacity in your 3.34 Tikka mag. I'd look for something lighter, maybe 162 ELD or 168 Berger.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you want to run a barnes the 145LRX does a good job out of my 280AI at 3130fps, quite a few critters have fallen to that gun. Assuming you're talking a 7mag you probably could pick up a little more speed. You'll have to run the numbers on BC vs distance to see if that pencils out for you.

Is this 168gr bullet way different than a 168gr VLD? My Tikka 7mm Rem Mag with the factory twist shot the 168 Berger’s really well. Accurate and they hit hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
My 1/9.5 7mag likes 139 LRX 140 TTSX and 150 TTSX. Interestingly, I talked to customer service at Barnes and he said the 139 and 150 are his 2 favorite bullets in 7mm. The 150 TTSX has a similar velocity threshold for opening to the LRX. I ended up going with the 139 LRX factory ammo (3350 FPS out of my gun) and was pleased with the results on my elk hunt.

My 1/9.5 7mag likes 139 LRX 140 TTSX and 150 TTSX. Interestingly, I talked to customer service at Barnes and he said the 139 and 150 are his 2 favorite bullets in 7mm. The 150 TTSX has a similar velocity threshold for opening to the LRX. I ended up going with the 139 LRX factory ammo (3350 FPS out of my gun) and was pleased with the results on my elk hunt.

Good info. At what range did you take your elk?

Is this 168gr bullet way different than a 168gr VLD? My Tikka 7mm Rem Mag with the factory twist shot the 168 Berger’s really well. Accurate and they hit hard.

It’s going to be longer due to the fact that it’s a homogenous bullet and copper isn’t as dense as lead.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider

495 yards, punched the lungs with the first shot broadside, staggered him hard. I almost didn’t shoot again and while the second shot was probably not necessary it was a little farther back, got the liver. Both passed through can’t speak for a blood trail because he went down right back in the bed he stood up from, but the exit holes looked to be as advertised and he was laying in a massive pool of blood.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Yes, the barnes 145lrx more like the size of the 168VLD, as noted above the density is lower so they're longer for the weight. The 168barnes is more like trying to stabilize a 180-190gr lead core.

495 yards, punched the lungs with the first shot broadside, staggered him hard. I almost didn’t shoot again and while the second shot was probably not necessary it was a little farther back, got the liver. Both passed through can’t speak for a blood trail because he went down right back in the bed he stood up from, but the exit holes looked to be as advertised and he was laying in a massive pool of blood.

That's awesome!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

For what its worth the above mentioned 280AI with the 145lrx has dropped 3 bulls (170yd: one shot dead within 30yd, 360yd: collapsed on the spot but needed a temple shot when I walked up, 450yd: one shot dead within 30yd) plus a few deer and around a dozen antelope out to further distances.

For what its worth the above mentioned 280AI with the 145lrx has dropped 3 bulls (170yd: one shot dead within 30yd, 360yd: collapsed on the spot but needed a temple shot when I walked up, 450yd: one shot dead within 30yd) plus a few deer and around a dozen antelope out to further distances.

Nice! Being that I live in California I am forced to go lead free now. Admittedly, I have lagged on putting loads together to be compliant with the new law, but I need to soon. So I am interested in what works and try to figure out what way I should go concerning all this non lead stuff. I am shooting a Sako 7mm Rem Mag with a 9.5 twist and it loves the Hornady 162 ELD-X. I also have a Tikka T3X 6.5 CM with an 8 twist. Maybe I should start a new thread, but if I may ask, what do you guys with non lead bullet experience suggest?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've posted before on this but in summary, I've been hunting mono's exclusively since 2014 (personal choice) and have had great results with them. A couple things I personally employ: I keep impact velocity over 2100-2200fps with Barnes regardless of what the listed minimum expansion velocity is, more is needed for a good full expansion. I think of them like a high speed broadhead cutting a wound channel (vs fanning out spraying lead/copper in the vitals) which can go through bone as needed. I do not shoot rear lungs with them. I go for the front of the heart/arterial bundle or higher shoulder (if the should blade is hit it punches a hole vs a bunch of blood shot meat) where a 2-3" wound channel is going to screw up the vitals fast, plus the impact can often shock the central nervious system some to knock them down while they bleed out. Keeping those things in mind I haven't lost an animal, had a pencil through shot, etc.

I'd look at the 140ish weight class for your 7mag. The 139LRX mentioned above wasn't out when I was building a load so I'm not too familiar with that one, the 145lrx has worked great for me though. You can push them fast while still having an okay BC.

I've posted before on this but in summary, I've been hunting mono's exclusively since 2014 (personal choice) and have had great results with them. A couple things I personally employ: I keep impact velocity over 2100-2200fps with Barnes regardless of what the listed minimum expansion velocity is, more is needed for a good full expansion. I think of them like a high speed broadhead cutting a wound channel (vs fanning out spraying lead/copper in the vitals) which can go through bone as needed. I do not shoot rear lungs with them. I go for the front of the heart/arterial bundle or higher shoulder (if the should blade is hit it punches a hole vs a bunch of blood shot meat) where a 2-3" wound channel is going to screw up the vitals fast, plus the impact can often shock the central nervious system some to knock them down while they bleed out. Keeping those things in mind I haven't lost an animal, had a pencil through shot, etc.

I'd look at the 140ish weight class for your 7mag. The 139LRX mentioned above wasn't out when I was building a load so I'm not too familiar with that one, the 145lrx has worked great for me though. You can push them fast while still having an okay BC.
Thank you pods8! Much appreciated.

Bruno82

FNG
What rifle was this out of?
Thanks

H