Anybody tried the NEW Nemo Spike Storm Tent?

kory_tams

FNG
I noticed the new one for 2018 has a floor and the mesh screen door, so I'm interested in using it in some of the more buggy areas this Fall...

Curious if anyone has tried it... thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
From looking at some reviews it looks like it is a very small tent.
Total square footage Including Vestibule 22.7 sq. ft. Vestibule square footage: (approx. 5 sq. ft.)

OP
K

kory_tams

FNG
I'm digging it... not a bad price for a great, lightweight setup... with the benefits of the floor and door! Think I'll get me one for Fall...

MT_Wyatt

WKR
At first glance I had the same thoughts - light and good materials, looks like it could be a winner. Here’s a few other things to consider:

Pole n the middle of the entry (you can use 2 to avoid that) and tiny foot end with what looks like no venting.....Even the kuiu 1p tent has more venting.

I’d be really cautious, looks like a shelter where you’d deal with a ton of condensation. It’s tough getting in/out of a tapered head entry torpedo like that and not hitting the wet side walls. Dressing in there looks to be tough as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

kory_tams

FNG
At first glance I had the same thoughts - light and good materials, looks like it could be a winner. Here’s a few other things to consider:

Pole n the middle of the entry (you can use 2 to avoid that) and tiny foot end with what looks like no venting.....Even the kuiu 1p tent has more venting.

I’d be really cautious, looks like a shelter where you’d deal with a ton of condensation. It’s tough getting in/out of a tapered head entry torpedo like that and not hitting the wet side walls. Dressing in there looks to be tough as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the side-entry Kuiu design for sure... and the venting is one thing I'm curious about, because they don't really advertise it, and it doesn't show much in their photos...

I used a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT quite a bit last year, and it is a front-entry, BUT it's WIDE, so even though you're entering from the front, you're not climbing right onto your bag...

I've been looking for something along the lines of the Nemo Spike 2P or the TarpTent MoTrail. The MoTrail appears to have a slightly larger vestibule but smaller floor space. The Nemo Spike 2P is around $250, claimed minimum weight of 26 oz, and is imported, the MoTrail is $260, claimed weight of 34 oz, and made in the USA. I'm also looking at the Bearpaw Bear Den 2P with rear vestibule + front zip option ($209) at 15 oz without front/rear vestibule weights.

All appear to be pretty good options for one person + gear.

Elker

FNG
I’ve got some of their other stuff and generally like the quality and utility.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at the Nemo stuff also. The dagger looks really nice a bit heavier but thicker materials

Elker

FNG
I’ve got some of their other stuff and generally like the quality and utility.

OXN939

WKR
This Spike gig looks pretty slick. Not sure how I feel about a trekking pole being necessary for structural integrity, as I never carry them. Just picked up a Hornet for early season AK this year. Will put up a report when I get it.