Anybody tried the Peterson 300 win mag "long" brass?

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I stumbled across Peterson's 300 win mag long brass today while searching for new brass as my stash of new brass is down to 100 pieces. The concept is intriguing to me, and seems like a good idea. Just wondering if any of you guys have any first hand experience with these and Peterson brass in general. I've heard good things about the company, and would rather buy American brass than Lapua if it's just as good.

Only used peterson brass in 300 NM, it seemed tougher than Norma brass.

I like the concept they have here. I know the early runs of peterson 300wm brass were seeing about 90.x grains of h20 capacity compared to 95ish seen in norma.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Only used peterson brass in 300 NM, it seemed tougher than Norma brass.

I like the concept they have here. I know the early runs of peterson 300wm brass were seeing about 90.x grains of h20 capacity compared to 95ish seen in norma.
Seems like being able to use lower powder charges to get the same velocity (with the smaller h2o volume) would be better in every way. I've just recently started down the premium brass path, and am quickly realizing my old RCBS 2 die sets are not the way to go with expensive brass. I'm learning that a mandrel expander die, neck bushing fl resizing die combo with a good seater is for me the best setup. Any thoughts on this setup?

Seems like being able to use lower powder charges to get the same velocity (with the smaller h2o volume) would be better in every way.
That depends on what you're looking for, I wouldn't say it's always better. Same velocity with less powder = more pressure. Smaller capacity = less velocity at max pressure. No free lunch.

I've just recently started down the premium brass path, and am quickly realizing my old RCBS 2 die sets are not the way to go with expensive brass. I'm learning that a mandrel expander die, neck bushing fl resizing die combo with a good seater is for me the best setup. Any thoughts on this setup?

I use FL bushing dies and they are nice to avoid over working brass but if you aren't using the expander ball on a standard FL die you can avoid some of the runout that is tied to standard FL sizing dies.

Over working the cases has two negatives, quicker work hardening of the brass and possibly extra induced runout. If you anneal your brass I would say there isn't a huge benefit to the bushing die over a FL when using an expander mandrel to set neck tension.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
That depends on what you're looking for, I wouldn't say it's always better. Same velocity with less powder = more pressure. Smaller capacity = less velocity at max pressure. No free lunch.

I use FL bushing dies and they are nice to avoid over working brass but if you aren't using the expander ball on a standard FL die you can avoid some of the runout that is tied to standard FL sizing dies.

Over working the cases has two negatives, quicker work hardening of the brass and possibly extra induced runout. If you anneal your brass I would say there isn't a huge benefit to the bushing die over a FL when using an expander mandrel to set neck tension.
That's a good point about the expander ball. I just worry that with the thicker brass on something like Peterson's brass, the regular dies are going overwork the necks, which I obviously don't want to do. I might get away with a standard seater for my hunting bullets but I think the bushing sizing dies are worth it for the brass longevity they add.

School me on this "Long" Brass.