Anybody use 6x binos?

I've been considering picking up a pair of 6x binos for certain hunting situations. Some of the areas I hunt are dense woods broken up with ~15 year old clearcuts that are slowly filling in. None of the clearcuts are very big, and you generally have sight lines up to 100-150m. I've been using my 8x42's when hunting this area, mostly hunting whitetail deer spot and stalk.

I was wondering if a 6x bino would perform better in that type of cover. You should get a wide field of view, the bino will weigh almost nothing and should be easy to hold and operate with one hand. I've been looking specifically at the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 porro prisms.

Anybody have any experience with smaller bins that they can share?

I have a pair of those exact binos. However, I haven't used them much. Even in the trees, I like magnification. It can turn a suspicious stick into a tine.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I bowhunted for a couple years with Viper 6x32's. Worked well for Midwest hunting landscapes.

That being said, I used them for all the reasons you listed until I realized that a Monarch HG 8x42 is less than an inch bigger, only 3 ounces heavier, and has a wider FOV. I switched.

Also a good consideration is the new Monarch HG 8x30's which have the same FOV as the 42's and only weigh 15 oz.

The Monarch 7 8x30's are also a good choice and are much more affordable, yet still give an great 435 ft FOV. I had a set of these and they were very good glass for the money. When LL Bean runs their 25% off sale you can get these for $285.

Having done both I'd choose a midsize 8x over a 6x.

LightFoot

WKR
I use 8x42s but often wish for a pair of 6x30s in the for the bowhunting in the thick brush.

Been thinking about the Maven 6x, but just haven't pulled the trigger. The 8x are still cutting it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted low power for my kids so the shake wouldn't be so bad they loose interest. I got the vortex 6.5x32 raptor. They are good enough optically that I could see using them if the situation warranted it. I don't hunt from a tree stand, but I speculate that these would be great for that application. But you have to get over the size with porros. Even little 6x porros don't seem like they would work with any chest harness I own.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
We have used 6 and 7 power for years whitetail bowhunting. Great low light performance, steady, wide FOV and usually compact. Bought my son the Meopta 6.5X32. They are great.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I bought both kids the 6x30 Yosemites. Excellent little glass. 6x are handy in the woods or on small wooded canoeing rivers for moose hunting. Very relaxed view with a great depth of field and good light gathering (5mm Exit Pupil) along with a good usable field of view. I liked the kid's 6 powers so much that I bought some a 6x32 Viper on close out. Even better than the Yosemites. 6X might be easier to manufacture as all of these 6's in our household are really good optically with good edge to edge clarity and no discernable flaws in the image despite the low price.

Shraggs

WKR
I use My Yosemite 6x30 often when archery elk hunting in all timber. Definitely prefer the wide field of view when distances under 100 yards. They only weigh 17 oz and fit in my large agc bono harness. But they go in rotated 90*.

If I’m hunting in timber but there some clearings to view I take the 8x30 slc. Extra power is appreciated.

In decent to good light they are pretty darn good optically. They are not an slc however. 5mm edit pupil is really obvious in good light, but in near dark they are on par with my 8x30. I think if they had good coatings like a swar then they could be superior in dim light with such large light gathering.

They have their role tho and I like them a lot

John

OP
L
Thanks for the comments everybody. I'm not planning to get rid of my 8x binos, but I think this has convinced me to try out a pair of 6x for myself.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I bought both kids the 6x30 Yosemites. Excellent little glass. 6x are handy in the woods or on small wooded canoeing rivers for moose hunting. Very relaxed view with a great depth of field and good light gathering (5mm Exit Pupil) along with a good usable field of view. I liked the kid's 6 powers so much that I bought some a 6x32 Viper on close out. Even better than the Yosemites. 6X might be easier to manufacture as all of these 6's in our household are really good optically with good edge to edge clarity and no discernable flaws in the image despite the low price.

May seem silly to some to mount a 6x on a tripod but I am curious-is the 6x viper threaded for tripod adaptor?

I have used a pair of Vortex Viper 6x32 for years, and I love their light weight and wide FOV. I know that I could pick up a pair of 8x32 with a similar FOV, but I purchased the Vipers on closeout years ago and for sub $200 they can't be beat. BTW I live and hunt in the west, and they work for spotting game but not scrutinizing the quality of the trophy, which as a meat hunter is not an issue for me.

As a swaro fanboy, I am surprised at how sick the Maven 6x30s are. I have 12x50 ELs and wanted a smaller, wider FOV bino for one handed operation and use in thick timber and the mavens fit the bill. They are so light that I find myself bringing them everywhere...bird hunting, fishing etc...

tdot

WKR
As a swaro fanboy, I am surprised at how sick the Maven 6x30s are. I have 12x50 ELs and wanted a smaller, wider FOV bino for one handed operation and use in thick timber and the mavens fit the bill. They are so light that I find myself bringing them everywhere...bird hunting, fishing etc...

Thanks for that info. I love my Swar 8x el, but now that I've added the 12x EL, I am considering adding a 6x, something I can toss in a pocket or it can live exposed on my chest, instead of a bino harness, still hunting, 200 yards and in.

binoman

FNG
I've been considering picking up a pair of 6x binos for certain hunting situations. Some of the areas I hunt are dense woods broken up with ~15 year old clearcuts that are slowly filling in. None of the clearcuts are very big, and you generally have sight lines up to 100-150m. I've been using my 8x42's when hunting this area, mostly hunting whitetail deer spot and stalk.

I was wondering if a 6x bino would perform better in that type of cover. You should get a wide field of view, the bino will weigh almost nothing and should be easy to hold and operate with one hand. I've been looking specifically at the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 porro prisms.

Anybody have any experience with smaller bins that they can share?
The Kowa BD II 6.5x32 is great. Very wide field and quite bright. Price is affordable too!

binoman

FNG
The Kowa BD II 6.5x32 is great. Very wide field and quite bright. Price is affordable too!
Should also add the depth of field of a 6x binocular vs 8 is noticeably better especially over shorter distances.

I’ve been thinking about this exact setup and scenario! How are the Maven 6x30 in low light vs what you would expect from an EL 8x30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howl

WKR
I've used a pair of the Yosemite quite a lot for several years. I use them for finding squirrels. They are very handy and sufficient for the task in good light.

Low light performance isn't what I find acceptable for other hunting.

Very underrated - I use 8x32 EL's for everything now and love them but one of the nicest bins I have ever owned was a set of 7x42 SLC's. When I sold them they didn't even last an hour on Ebay. So easy to look through and they were like having night vision at dusk.