Anybody use a chest heart rate monitor?

Strength vs endurance is always a hard thing to find the happy medium for, add in the quest for lower body fat% and its like looking for the holy grail. Lower heart rate @ rest and during activity is hard to beat thou.
Absolutely, and usually strength comes with weight which you have to carry around all the time. Even without worrying about lowe body fat and its a challenge.

One of the unfortunate downsides for me of searching for lower heart rate was I discovered it was affected quite badly by any amount of booze, kinda ruins the effect of a nice whisky if you know it's going to screw up your training for 2-3 days.

Will_m

WKR
Absolutely, and usually strength comes with weight which you have to carry around all the time. Even without worrying about lowe body fat and its a challenge.

One of the unfortunate downsides for me of searching for lower heart rate was I discovered it was affected quite badly by any amount of booze, kinda ruins the effect of a nice whisky if you know it's going to screw up your training for 2-3 days.
This was my exact finding too. Even a couple drinks raises my rhr through the night.

syoungs

FNG
We use polar oh1 forarm monitors and polar h7 chest monitors at work. The oh1 seems to be just as accurate as the h7, but is less intrusive and rechargeable. Other wrist style monitors we found to have alot of variance and inaccuracies.

Hensatc

FNG
If you are looking to dive deep into all the capabilities and +/- of all the brands you should read dcrainmaker.com (if you aren’t already)... ray knows his shit and is pretty much the go to reviewer/knowledge base for sports tech in general

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottinPA

WKR
This is something I've actually noticed during my training. I tend to do heavy weightlifting and crossfit, with very limited longer duration low effort type work. What I've found is it's challenging to work on aerobic capacity in this way because you almost always exceed the threshold immediately.
During the first Covid shutdown I did lots of longer runs and lighter/longer work because I just didn't have access to equipment, I noticed more improvement (via my Garmin forerunner) on my resting heart rate and VO2 max in just a month. The heart rate strap definitely helped dial in that improvement. Unfortunately with life, work, kids, etc I have no idea when I'll have that much time in the future to work like that again and I did lose strength, but it was a fun experiment.
Been using a HR monitor since 2011. Like said above, I typically would blow through the lower HR training but could do it for miles. Fastforward and some serious health issues (paralyzed vocal cord) has me running slower therefore HR lower but found I can do a couple miles without stopping. Now I'm pushing my slower pace for long distances coupled with weights. Should be an interesting next few months.

I use one.

I use a Fitbit and a polar chest strap monitor that pairs with my iPhone.

FWIW the fit bit was wildly inaccurate in the upper ranges of intensity compared to my chest strap and a stress EKG. My max HR is around 200 and the Fitbit had issues above 160 and rarely got above 180. It tracked pretty closely at lower ranges. Not sure if this an issue with all wrist mounted HR monitors but it is worth doing a side by side if you can.

brsnow

WKR
I wear the peloton one while on the bike and also my Apple watch, both are typically in line with each other. Amazed the watch is so accurate.

*zap*

WKR
some serious health issues (paralyzed vocal cord) has me running slower therefore HR lower but found I can do a couple miles without stopping. Now I'm pushing my slower pace for long distances coupled with weights. Should be an interesting next few months.
Get that 'low gear' as good as you can. LISS is a tremendous base training tool and your low end heart rate is very, very trainable. There are obvious advantages to being able to go longer.

Thinking about getting one for training. Been using my iwatch but I sometimes wonder how accurate that is. Anybody got a model or brand that they like?

I have read that the Iwatch is accurate enough that it is considered accurate enough for an EKG. I am using a Garmin Fenix 5x and feel it’s pretty accurate as long as when I am exercising I move the watch about two fingers or so above my wrist joint. If I don’t it’s hit or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Garmin one with my Fenix 5+. The readings are fairly significantly different when using the chest strap compared to the built in wrist monitor. I use it more out of interest and don't pay too much attention to it. I am trying to watch my calories using Myfittnesspal and I think the use of a HRM strap helps the accuracy of that app.

three5x5s

WKR
I have an 20 year old Polar chest monitor that displays your heart beat in a polar wrist (watch) display. They came as a set and its the only way it works. The battery is dead in it and its $29.00 to replace it so I thought I would just up grade to a H10. Is the only way to see your HR is thru a phone?