Anybody use a hammock for a sleep system

jhim

FNG
I have used a hammock in the past. I run a Clark Jungle Hammock with Hammock Gear top and bottom quilts both are their 0* econ models. My total weight setup is 102oz/6.375lbs. This includes tent stakes.

Pros-
I don't have to find a flat open spot.
I can set up on slopes with debris/snow on the ground.
In heavy rain I don't get any flooding issues.
I personally find it more comfortable than the ground and I never have to worry about popping a sleeping pad.
It has an incorporated bug net so I never worry about mosquitoes.

Cons-
You NEED a bottom quilt if it drops below like 50*.
I have no vestibule to store boots, my rifle, or my pack.
I can not fire up a stove in my hammock.
I have to find trees. I can't camp above tree line or in open flats.
Two quilts take up A LOT of volume in a pack.

I like my hammock setup a lot, but I did pick up a Luxe Hexpeak XL that I plan on running this year so that I have more flexibility in where I can camp and who can come with me. A hammock is nice if you are going alone but if you are with a buddy you can't really split the weight like you could if you were both in the same tent. Also if you want to bring your wife/kids/dogs along you will need to have another shelter for them. Also be warned that a hammock is not a cost savings over a traditional tent as your under quilt will probably cost as much or more than a top quality sleeping pad.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I frequently hammock camp. I prefer it to sleeping on the ground by a wide margin. Top and bottom quilts do take up some volume in your pack, but there is no real weight penalty. Using a tarp can provide some vestibule-like protection for your gear, depending on how you set up. You can also throw a Tyvek sheet in to cover your gear.

You can also find anchor points to hang a hammock without trees, but of course trees are ideal.

Another tool in the toolbox.

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
Love my hammock tent! Agree with need for bottom quilt around 50* and below. I can sleep comfortably in mine into the teens.

OP
GilligansWorld
Thanks - I am an avid Hammock Camper and DIY'er - in fact all but my down insulation was made by me. I have made 6 hammocks, 3 tarps, one synthetic UQ, converted a mummy sleeping bag into a 3/4 length UQ, and have made numerous UQ protector's as well as suspension systems utilizing spliced Amsteel Blue and poly straps.

So I need to ask my question more specifically

Does a hammock system work on your hunting trips? I don't hunt a bunch but a hunting trip is what got me into hammock camping. Kinda fitting that my hammock camping is getting me back into hunting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

krausejmk

Lil-Rokslider
I have been thinking about this as well. Going to base camp but thinking about throwing a hammock setup in my pack in case I get on some animals late in the day and spend the night out. Question, can you get away with a good sleeping back in a hammock instead of having to carry the two quilts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GilligansWorld
I have been thinking about this as well. Going to base camp but thinking about throwing a hammock setup in my pack in case I get on some animals late in the day and spend the night out. Question, can you get away with a good sleeping back in a hammock instead of having to carry the two quilts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes - but you still an under quilt or a pad - here is my take on a modified pad system I made - If you don't care to watch My summary is;
Pads work but below 30-20° you need more and they suck as you fight it moving all night long unless you have a double layer that accepts a pad in-between the layers and then you will have a condensation issue and will likely wake up wet and cold.

I’m a big proponent of hammock camping whenever possible. I sleep so much better, and don’t need level ground. I’m happy to trade the minimal weight difference for the ease of sleeping. A lot of times if it’s warmer out, I’ll throw a hammock in my day pack to make a quick spike camp.

However, I do not enjoy a hammock in the cold weather. This archery elk season was painfully cold, and my usual hammock setup was tough to tolerate. I couldn’t get the tarp low enough to me to keep out the sideways rain/sleet, and my 30 degree weighted quilts were not enough. I’m hindsight, I should have moved my entire setup to somewhere more sheltered.

I’ve thought about getting one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Mul...ors&qid=1582517324&sprefix=hammock+tar&sr=8-7 and modding it to take a stove pipe for a base camp kind of setup.

OP
GilligansWorld
I'm not sure if he's still doing it but there's a gentleman by the name of Jared he works for a company called simply light designs who focus primarily on Hammock camping stuff. anyhow they were working on a whole hot tent system that he was making I don't know if it was strictly custom or if he was ever bringing this to market but if anybody had a good line on it....
Jared simply light designs

OP
GilligansWorld
I’m a big proponent of hammock camping whenever possible. I sleep so much better, and don’t need level ground. I’m happy to trade the minimal weight difference for the ease of sleeping. A lot of times if it’s warmer out, I’ll throw a hammock in my day pack to make a quick spike camp.

However, I do not enjoy a hammock in the cold weather. This archery elk season was painfully cold, and my usual hammock setup was tough to tolerate. I couldn’t get the tarp low enough to me to keep out the sideways rain/sleet, and my 30 degree weighted quilts were not enough. I’m hindsight, I should have moved my entire setup to somewhere more sheltered.

I’ve thought about getting one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Mul...ors&qid=1582517324&sprefix=hammock+tar&sr=8-7 and modding it to take a stove pipe for a base camp kind of setup.
This is me about the middle of January Just a few miles from the Continental Divide right off of Cameron Pass here in northern Colorado. Three day three night trip Lowes were below zero highs were about 10°. Probably close to four and a half feet of snow in the ground.
debfe0ed42b85d344ebdaf25a1aca1ed.jpg

Napperm4

WKR
I do a lot of backpacking year round and spent a fair bit of time sleeping in a hammock system. I had an eno doublewide with bug nest, tarp and straps etc. Underquilt, top quilt and zlite pad.

Worked like a great system for regular backpacking, maybe even some scouting trips but full on hunting adds so much more gear to my loads. It was hard to keep track of on some hectic days and I had difficulty keeping everything under my tarp.

I looked at some different options including making my own set up but for the bulk of the hammock set up I realized I could cut a lot of bulk in my pack and have more covered space with a floorless shelter and ground sleeping.

I’ve grown to be addicted to the woodstove for warm ups, cooking, heat on really cold nights and drying gear.

Really though, I could’ve gotten a different tarp from Dutch ware or something and a hammock system would work.

I wanted something new and wanted a sleeker pack so I had reason to make it “not work”.

Backpack hunting is no more complicated than front country hunting or overnight hiking. You’re just combining them. So if you already know you can hang camp and are most comfortable that way due to your backpacking experience. There’s no reason that you wouldn’t be the same in a hunting situation. You’ll just have (a lot) more gear depending on how you hunt.

Hammock camping whenever I honestly can. I spent 9 nights in it last year and really got it dialed. Biggest thing I took away was the addition of buying an underquilt made me question sleeping in a tent again. Extremely comfortable. A tent would be a royal pain where I go as the ground is so wet and swampy. You don’t need any fancy woopie slings or buckles there are some real ultralight solutions available without the added weight. Small learning curve to them but once you learn it’s a nice solution for a back/side-sleeper.

Running:

Hammock Gear CF Palace tarp with door mod and bling
Dutchware Wide Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
Dutch Spider Web Straps
EE Revolt 20F Down Underquilt
EE Enigma 20F Top quilt

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Only if it is warm as had been stated above, dealing with packing two quilts negates what I view as the biggest pro (weight/volume in pack).

I love the concept of a hammock but as a side sleeper and a bit of a tossed and turner, they have never worked for me. I have a few that make it onto truck camping trips for nap times though.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I almost exclusively hammock camp. I have used several different systems (bag with pad, bag with underquilt, asymmetrical hennessy hammocks, ect.) The setup that works best for me is an Outdoor Vitals Mummypod. Its essentially a sleeping bag with a zippered hole in the footbox that allows it to go around the whole hammock making an under quilt unnecessary. With this setup there is no volume penalty for two quilts, Its just a sleeping bag, a hammock and whichever tarp I bring.
To answer your specific question, my system works great for my hunting trips. If there is any possibility of rain I upsize my tarp so I've got a dry spot for my gear.

Last edited:

Fitzwho

WKR
My setup:
Bearded Hanger Imperial Hammock (single layer, company went under since I bought it)
Amsteel Whoopie Slings
Ultimate Hammock Straps (tapered) with Titanium pins for running a marlin spike to attach the hammock
Cedar Ridge Fontana Top Quilt 20F (Big Agnes Kings Canyon for warmer weather)
Cedar Ridge Fontana Under Quilt 30F
Hummingbird Hammocks Pelican Tarp with continuous Ridgeline
Also have some sort of bug net also that can come or go depending on weather

I find these quilts pack down pretty nicely actually and the whole setup weighs about 5.5lbs. I'm not a small man by any stretch of the imagination (6' 5", 320lbs). Even sleeping on my Klymit V-Luxe Insulated pad kills my shoulders and hips. The hammock takes care of that problem, but I admittedly have a little bit of trouble sleeping the first couple nights a year in it, its just not my Tempurpedic I guess…

My tarp is a winter tarp (pseudo doors on both ends), so it can be closed up, but I agree that keeping gear even seemingly secure unless you're sleeping right next to your truck is borderline impossible. Changing clothes is a little weird also. I end up sleeping in the clothes I'm hunting in, saves some ounces on quilt insulation required.

I'm a fan of hammock camping for shorter trips up to 5 days. After day 6 my back wants lay flat as the hammock is U-shaped. I use the enlightened equipment under and over quilt setup w/ tarp if weather is nasty. EE has a higher price point but quality piece of gear. Customize for fill, material, color etc. Comfortable down into the single digits.

twall13

WKR
OP, it sounds like you have your hammock system pretty dialed if you are taking it below 0* temps. I've been using a hammock setup for hunting quite a bit over the last six or seven years and it works well in most areas. It's not ideal above timberline or in the desert but as long as you have a general idea of the area you are hunting it's not really any different from a backpacking trip. In fact, I use the same gear for a backpack hunt as I do for a backpacking trip with the exception of adding hunting specific gear like a kill kit and firearm/ammunition.

For me, the main reason to use a hammock is that I sleep much more comfortably in a hammock than I do on the ground and I hate kneeling on the ground getting in and out of a tent. More often than not my hunting trips involve hammocks, but I won't claim to use them on every trip.

OP
GilligansWorld
I almost exclusively hammock camp. I have used several different systems (bag with pad, bag with underquilt, asymmetrical hennessy hammocks, ect.) The setup that works best for me is an Outdoor Vitals Mummypod. Its essentially a sleeping bag with a zippered hole in the footbox that allows it to go around the whole hammock making an under quilt unnecessary. With this setup there is no volume penalty for two quilts, Its just a sleeping bag, a hammock and whichever tarp I bring.
To answer your specific question, my system works great for my hunting trips. If there is any possibility of rain I upsize my tarp so I've got a dry spot for my gear.
I am an exclusive hammock camper as well - just wasn't sure if the additional gear to go hunting made sense but hearing these responses is my mind set. I hammock camp because A) Better Sleep B) Oddly the way I camp I have more spots that have wind shelter due to the trees C) I like a challenge and finding ways to make my hammock work are fun - Took a vaca to Yosemite NTL. Park a few years back and the cabin we had rented only had 2 beds for the 6 of us - I was the only one who slept well because I took the hammock and slept outside :)
OP, it sounds like you have your hammock system pretty dialed if you are taking it below 0* temps. I've been using a hammock setup for hunting quite a bit over the last six or seven years and it works well in most areas. It's not ideal above timberline or in the desert but as long as you have a general idea of the area you are hunting it's not really any different from a backpacking trip. In fact, I use the same gear for a backpack hunt as I do for a backpacking trip with the exception of adding hunting specific gear like a kill kit and firearm/ammunition.

For me, the main reason to use a hammock is that I sleep much more comfortably in a hammock than I do on the ground and I hate kneeling on the ground getting in and out of a tent. More often than not my hunting trips involve hammocks, but I won't claim to use them on every trip.
Yeah spent the last 3 years perfecting my system. I make most of my own gear so for me it is dual fun. I like to design and play with stuff and I like to have an efficient system where if you are thru hiking your system is fairly easy and quick to set up. I just finished making a Synthetic Quilt using 7.5z climashield in dual layers - yes dual layers of 7.5z climashield puts this thing down to like -10* or more. My suspension on this isn't right yet so I can't comment on whether it works. It is really heavy though and doesn't pack down very well.

My Current Set up;
*DIY 1.3 MNT Hybrid fabric body and 1.7 MNT fabric sides for a 12' long 7' wide hammock (you read that right 84" wide) - with 7/64th amsteel blue Continuous Loops
*My hammock has a Continuous Ridgeline is made of 7/64ths Amsteel Blue
*I have Spider Straps from Dutchware that I use a Marlin Spike Hitch with Titanium Toggles
*I have a 20* and a 0* Under Quilt from Underground Quilts
*I have a Under Quilt Protector from 2QZQ
*I use a Polycro ground sheet
*I have a 12' Winter Tarp that was a kit build from Ripstop by the Roll
*I modified my tarp to accomodate 2 internal Poles to spread out the tarp and offer more room under it.
*Lawson Glowwire for my Guy Lines in 2.5 MM
*Aluminum Y-stakes
*My 85L Osprey Aether back pack is WAY more space than I NEED but I love the extra space and don't really mind the weight in the winter.
*I have a Jackwolfskin 50L pack for my 3 season outings.
*I just did a conversion from a Utility Sled to a Pulk so that I can pull my gear in when we hunt in snow but the odds of that happening aren't great usually.