Anybody using a Fixed 50x for Hunting?

toasty

FNG
Background: So I own a couple Kowa spotting scopes. I use one for packing around while hunting and the other I only use for spotting from a vehicle. I do all my glassing with binos 8.5x42 or a 15x56 and only use the scopes to look more closely as a single animal for detail or that are really far off. I have tried to scan with a scope and I can't do it due to developing headaches after about 30 minutes of looking through a spotter.

Situation: I currently have a variable eyepiece on my 824M Fluorite scope which is my vehicle spotter and it has a narrow field of view and optically lacks compared to some fixed eyepieces. When I run a fixed 32X on it everything pops and I feel like I can see so much more, but I find I need a little more mag for animals that are way out there. I am considering putting on a fixed 50x onto that scope. I am wondering if anyone is using a fixed high power for hunting.

Question: What are your thoughts and will I regret my purchase?

I'd find it hard as heck to locate an already located (with your lesser powered optics) critter at 50X, YMMV. Good luck!

OP
T

toasty

FNG
Valid concern. The thing is my zoom lens get 91' FOV at 20x, my 32x gets 117' and the 50x wide would get 69' so I would only be giving up 22' of FOV going to the 50x which would make finding the animal more difficult, but not 3x more difficult. No wonder I don't care for the zoom lens.

Blue72

WKR
Best to try it out yourself.

I know oftentimes mirages prohibit me using magnification over 20-30x....also when you get over 30x you need a heavier sturdier tripod to avoid the shakes from the wind and you moving the optic around

But it is nice having the extra magnification when everything works perfectly

OP
T

toasty

FNG
I am sure in the heat of the day the 50x will have its issues, but I am usually behind a spotter early morning and afternoon into the evening. I ordered my eyepiece should be here in a day or two and we will see how it does. May be a mistake, but worth trying to find out. I can always go back tot he spectacular 32x fixed I have for the scope.

OP
T

toasty

FNG
So, just to update this thread. I received the 50x fixed eyepiece and played around with it yesterday afternoon in the heat of the day and then again at dusk. I compared the Te 9z 20-60x and the Te 9w fixed 50x on a TSN 824 Fluorite Kowa scope. Most of the comparison was at 50x on the variable scope to level the playing field. In the afternoon iIt was 96 degrees and I was looking at the mountain next to my house at features between 1.5-2.5 miles away. There was a mirage, but it wasn't bad and I had no problems reading a sign of about 2-3" letters at that range. The 50x fixed had about a 10% wider field of view than the variable, it was enough to notice, but not enough at 1.5 miles to make a huge difference. The eye relief was noticeably shorter on the fixed 50x than the variable, but I don't wear glasses and is a not issue for me. Now to the image quality, there was no improvement of the image with the 50x fixed vs the variable at this time of day. However, turning the variable up to 60 increased the mirage and I found my image deteriorated at 60x from the 50x fixed. I will not be using this scope to hunt with at temps above this ever, in fact, it was too hot to shoot at the range, so mirage at the 50x is not a problem.

Now onto the dusk comparison. I was able to locate a couple does and fawns on the same mountainside feeding for this comparison. The field of view increase seemed more substantial as I was looking at animals. I was able to keep them in view longer before moving the scope. The image from the 50x and variable was different at dusk. The 50x fixed was brighter and I could see more detail than the variable eyepiece when set at 50x. Turning the variable to 60x, made the difference even worse as I lost even more brightness. Turning down the variable to about 35-40x gave me the same brightness and resolution as the 50x fixed. After the afternoon session, I was thinking about selling the new fixed 50x, however, glassing right before dusk changed my mind. There is no doubt more detail of a buck or bull could be made out with the 50x fixed vs the variable at low light hours. That combined with the increased FOV means the fixed 50x is a keeper. I am, however, not convinced enough to sell the variable eyepiece and I will have to see how much I struggle to find my targets with the fixed 50x. The nice thing about this scope is it has a target acquisition feature on the side that makes finding a breeze.

You'll find mirage is different day to day...I've not tried to predict it, but sun, breezes and humidity all seem to play in. I think you are smart testing like you are before you return or sell any eyepieces. Good luck!

Blue72

WKR
You'll find mirage is different day to day...I've not tried to predict it, but sun, breezes and humidity all seem to play in. I think you are smart testing like you are before you return or sell any eyepieces. Good luck!

Agreed, plus ground temp, water temp and it’s variation to air temp makes each day different too

But I agree, testing like this is a great way to see what optics works best for you